Best GI Iron for Lateral Miss

mrvandelay

Reaction score
Handicap
I don't really miss the longitudinal center of the club face too often, but I'll often miss out on the toe or heel. Does anyone have any suggestions for the most forgiving iron for those who miss laterally? I know SpeedBlades are great for misses low on the face, but what about side to side?

Lots offer great options.
Callaway X2Hot are just awesome for this.
Taylormade SpeedBlades (although I think the toe miss is not as good as the above).
Wilson Di series
Cleveland MT series offer major forgiveness especially off the toe area.

Speedblades were the first thing that came to mind for me.

Good list from JB. I'd add the PING Karsten that I'm testing as well.

I agree the Callaways are very forgiving for toe hits. Distance loss but good directional stability. I put a high handicap friend into these and he dropped 10 strokes the first round.

I'll have to give the X2Hot's a hit. Admittedly I haven't paid much attention to Callaway's Non-Apex Irons yet.

Anyone know how the G25s do for lateral misses? I've been thinking of giving them a try with a lower launching shaft.

I found the SpeedBlades/RocketBladez more forgiving laterally than the G25's during weeks of monitor testing. Still a very good and forgiving iron.

I played the G15s and found them incredibly forgiving laterally. My miss is more on the heel side, but both toe and heel mishits we're not punished brutally.

When I read the title, my first instincts were Speedblades then X2Hot.

Another chime for the x2hots. And I'll also say Nike 2.0 forged. Both very solid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This might be slightly more SGI that you are looking for, but Nike SUMO and Callaway Razr XFs are both super forgiving laterally. They have the elongated, low and flat design as opposed to the stubbier high toe design. The XFs are designed to hit the ball a little higher than the SUMO.

The Titleist 714 AP1's have been very forgiving off of the toe for me. Not sure about the heel since I have been toeing shots like its my job!

Another chime for the x2hots. And I'll also say Nike 2.0 forged. Both very solid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with the above. Another solid option is the Cobra Bio Cell irons. The entire face is hot and forgiving. I did a test with impact tape and from a feel perspective I couldn't tell that I caught them off the toe. Distance loss is minimal. The New Idea by Adams are also very forgiving and pretty sexy to look at. The Mizuno JPX EZ are very very forgiving across the face IMO as are the AP1.

If it were me, I would try the Cobra, Nike, X2, Speedblades, Adams, Mizuno. Anything that anyone on this message board posts is probably a solid choice.

I've tested this pretty thoroughly on Trackman and would suggest that the Mizuno JPX EZ is the most laterally forgiving (although pretty much every other one mentioned in this thread is close)

I'd put in a word for the Wilson D series. Incredible forgiveness heel to toe.

Like Blue and Hawk said the speed/rocketbladez come to mind first the slot for me helps enlarge the sweet spot laterally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back