Best golf memory....

jpgolf

“JP”
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf, like life, is made up of all kinds of experiences and memories. What is one sort of golf memory that warms your heart at night or brings a smile to your face as you re-tell it...???

THP Experiences....Nothing like them in the world.

Playing golf in Ireland on a 9 hole course inside a horse racing track with my dad and brother-in-law. We had a pint or two before and after the round and then walked a few kilometers back to the hotel after the round.

@jpgolf I am smiling as I think about all of the golf I played with my dad. My father passed back in 2010, but he still has an accomplishment I have never achieved; holing out from a sand trap. The look of shock when he did so was priceless and is still fun to think about. I loved all of the weekend rounds, rain or shine, that we played together.

One such memory is getting to share my TPC Sawgrass experience. Sometimes, when having lighthearted golf conversations with new or old friends...and something comes up about various courses we’ve played - I mention that I got to play TPC Sawgrass. Inevitably....they will ask “how did you do on the 17th...?”
And, I get to say that I actually parred it. It’s not my top golf memory....but, one I get to share once in a while.

The weekend get together in Chicago with most of the GD team (missed our Ass Cap) and a few other THPers at the end of July. Most fun I've ever had with a group of people. Makes me crazy excited for December!

Like a lot of folks I have a lot of great memories ranging from fantastic courses, great shots and making life long friends (from THP and elsewhere), but my best golf memory is my last round of golf with my brother before he passed away. I just wished I would have known at the time that it was the last round. Ya just never know about those things.

My actual “TOP” golf memory...are of the times I got to play with my older brother - from around 1995 until 2008. He is the one who invited me to take up golf - and, even though we lived approx 100 miles apart, we got together once every week or two at some mid-way destination for a glorious 4 hour brotherly and spiritual rejuvenation. Those were the most enjoyable & memorable years of my golfing life. He has passed on - but, his influence is still felt. Thank you, John. You were the best! ❤️

Right now it's two things. Getting to meet up with the MN THPers for a great day. The other one is just enjoying a nice day with my FIL and BIL on the course - it's an overall experience, we have never not had a great time when we got together.

One such memory is getting to share my TPC Sawgrass experience. Sometimes, when having lighthearted golf conversations with new or old friends...and something comes up about various courses we’ve played - I mention that I got to play TPC Sawgrass. Inevitably....they will ask “how did you do on the 17th...?”
And, I get to say that I actually parred it. It’s not my top golf memory....but, one I get to share once in a while.
I always thought it would be cool if when I get to play there I hopped it off the railroad ties and onto the green close to the cup. I only get to play it once so something super random like that would be funny to share.

I have played golf for almost 60 years. My daughter and son-in-law also enjoy the game, but my son (a musician) never really took it up. The only times he has played was about 12 years ago when he and I went out when I was in Nashville to visit. Last month at a family gathering (our 2020 Christmas) the four of us went out to play and my son admitted that he was starting to like the game. Since then he has played at least once with his neighbor and last week I sent him a driver and three & five woods to upgrade his set. There is nothing like playing golf with the ones you love!

Both involve my dad...

1- 2004 Masters: we are both watching the tournament in my bedroom and pulling hard for Mickelson. I am sitting on the bed and my dad is sitting on a chair I had in the room. Mickelson drains the putt on 18 and we both jump up yelling and high fiving each other

2 - On my dad's 2nd hole in one, we were playing closest to the pin for a dollar like we always do. I hit first and hit the ball maybe 30 feet from the hole. My dad lines up and as soon as the ball is airborne, he turns around and says "pay me my dollar, Jacob!". The rest of the group was watching intently as my dad's ball found the bottom of the cup. My dad had his back turned the whole time and didn't see his ball go in.

Playing with my Dad when I was ten years old. He wasn't a golfer at all, had played a bit a a child, but when I got interested he bought some clubs and went around with me to keep me company. In a few years when I knew how to handle myself on a course he stopped playing. But that was OK.

My first par - I was super psyched :cool:☕

I have 2.

The THP Kingdom Experience in 2011 when I got to meet and play with Jake (P4B) and Steve (Dr. Teeth) and all the other folks at Taylormade.

The other is when I made my 5 foot par putt on 18 at Pebble Beach. I know it sounds cheesy, but the wife had taken me there for my 50th birthday and I was about to putt for par on 18 when thoughts of all of my golf heroes having this same putt for lots of money and fame washed over me. I had to step back, look out over the bay for a second or 2, refocus and then make the putt.

Both of those trips will forever be ingrained in my memory.

Definitely the guys' trip we took to Ireland in 2009. Killarney, Doonbeg, Tralee, Waterville, Old Head (my favorite course in the world) and Ballybunion

My son and I would watch Golfholics when they came out. Every once in awhile one of the guys would say “Going for the make” on a pitch or approach shot. As we were hitting a par 5 finishing hole I was recording my son’s tee shot. I did the intro and added in “he has driver in hand, going for the make off the tee”. He just started smiling all big and goofy as he got into position to drill one down the middle. He came back to the cart still smiling.

This one, after 18 holes on The Old.

Attachments

• DE08C068-9A45-450B-973F-9DCFC1F7D345.jpeg
    DE08C068-9A45-450B-973F-9DCFC1F7D345.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 3
On the course I grew up on there is this trail leading from the 16th green to the 17th green. When I was a kid I played that course by myself quite a bit.

One day, I think I was maybe 12 if that, I was starting down that trail right before dusk and had this moment of peaceful calm bliss. It is hard to explain. I had a weird childhood and had a lot of anxieties about things. I'd never had a moment like that, and I just stood there for a while.

I still get a bit of that feeling every time I walk down that trail.

I've had a lot of experiences in golf. Seven hole in ones including an albatross, have holed out a wedge for eagle for the money when my opponent had a tap-in birdie, gotten in fights, etc. But the fondest memory is standing on that trail. It's a little more grown in now but....

IMG_0699.jpg

First time I played Pebble. It was a bucket list course for me. Played with @mr.hicksta and @time4tim. It pissed down most of the round, and yet we walked 18 with huge smiles on our faces. Attending the 2010 Ryder Cup at Celtic Manor was a very close second. I still say, of all the sporting events I’ve been to, none had the atmosphere of that 1st tee grandstand.
963DCBA2-205E-447F-86EC-0A99EC5311E7.jpeg

First time I played Pebble. It was a bucket list course for me. Played with @mr.hicksta and @time4tim. It pissed down most of the round, and yet we walked 18 with huge smiles on our faces. Attending the 2010 Ryder Cup at Celtic Manor was a very close second. I still say, of all the sporting events I’ve been to, none had the atmosphere of that 1st tee grandstand.
View attachment 9029504

I did not enjoy the rain, but that was the greatest golf experience I have ever had. I have played Pebble twice since, but they don’t measure up to that first time.

Back