Best golf memory....

I have two of them.
1. My HIO with a great friend.
2. The Grandaddy, that was the most awesome golf experience I have had.

The morning I was picked to captain the Grandaddy team.

That was such a special honor. It has created a lifetime of memories and friends, for which I’m eternally grateful.

When I was in college, YEARS ago, I played golf with Jigs. Jigs was 82 years old when I met him and could shoot his age. His exuberance was contagious, and he loved golf and competition. He'd always encourage me to "go for it," take chances, and off the tee, to hit the ball as far as I could (back then I could hit the ball pretty good).
To me, he was one of a kind and I smile whenever I think of him.

So many, from the first time I went and played with my brother and I hit that 1 solid shot, getting my nephew into the game and him almost getting an Ace the first time we played 9 (hit it to less than a foot from 100 yards) and him telling me he was definitely holing it next time he played that hole (think he made a 9 or something), to playing the Patriot Club with THPers, which brings up the post round festivities of that weekend hanging with @JimBetts @bigskyirish @KEV @Xman and our Jake (RIP).

Most recently, playing Whistling Straits about a month ago with @BuckNasty @JB @DannyLe the golf and banter. There are a lot of others I have left out, but have about 2 decades of good memories to draw from.

Played golf one time with my Uncle and his buddy. My Uncle was a country club pro before WWII, and could really golf his ball! He got my Dad into the game, and then me. I was getting to the point where I could play a little bit. I reached a par 5 in two and had a putt for eagle that I almost made. He said, "Good try for the Eagle, and nice Birdie." But that's not the best one. On one hole I missed the greem to the right and on the wrong side of a row of skinny tree about 30 feet tall. I laid my wedge as open as I could, swung as hard as I could, and hit a Mickelson-esque flop onto the green that finished about 10 feet from the flag!

When I looked toward my Uncle he was staring at me in amazement! "Oh my God! What a great shot!"' Then, on the ride home, he told me that he thought I had a real talent for the game, and that if I worked at it, I could get pretty good. That started my tutelage under my Uncle. We lived some distance apart, But he would call and ask about my game and what I was working on. I'd tell him and he'd give me tips. And anytime the families got together it was grab some clubs, the bag of shag balls, and head for a public park where we could practice. Great memories.

Winning a father-son tournament with my Dad when I was in my late 20s and he was in his early 50s. My Dad didn’t play much competitive golf and was nervous for the tournament. It was great seeing him play well in that.

Last year I played my first round as a member at my new club with my son (21). My son never got into golf when he was younger and really caught the bug during Covid.

To have a hole-in-one is a wonderful memory. It just so happens that my hole in one was on a hole that sits just off of a busy highway - not far from where I live. In seasons where the leaves are off the trees you can look across and see the green where it happened. During the Summer months it isn’t visible for the foliage. Well, the leaves are starting to turn again.... and when I ride by I’ll definitely be giving a fond glance over. ⛳😊

Two different things come to mind:
1. Dropped 2 50ft+ putts in a row to win in a skins game that every other person was better than me in
2. Beat a D2 golfer in a match play gambling game on the 18th tee(he gave me a stroke on every hole except 3)

Im sure all of this will change after the Morgan Cup!!!

I have a ton but these 3 are special to me.

1. Played in my first high school varsity match as an 8th grader and on the bus ride there our coach pulled me aside and told me I got to play with my brother who was a senior and our number 1 player. It was fun to play with him!

2.Qualified to play in the 2005 Division 2 NCAA Championship at Savannah Harbor, a THP course.

3. Being selected and playing the 2019 Budget Golf THP Championship. A once in a lifetime course for sure!

Many golf buddy trips, most to Pinehurst. Best was my first ace on one such trip.

second best was the trip to Scotland where I played the Old, New, and Jubilee at St Andrews and Carnoustie.

All the times I've gotten to play with my son. He has two toddlers at home and a demanding job, so he plays once or twice per year, much like I did when I was his age. We got to play together in a scramble this past Sunday, and it was just great.

Th
All the times I've gotten to play with my son. He has two toddlers at home and a demanding job, so he plays once or twice per year, much like I did when I was his age. We got to play together in a scramble this past Sunday, and it was just great.
That’s just great. I wish my sons would have taken to the game.

I consider myself very fortunate.

I'll always treasure those weekend 9s and 18s when he was in his teens and early 20s.

I feel the same way about my dad. He never had the time or means to be able to golf, but he loved sports and was naturally athletic. (I inherited only the former.) Shortly after I took up the game, my parents came to visit and he saw my bag of clubs. He said, "How often do you play." I told him I was in a weekly league and I usually hit a driving range about five minutes away.

"How far?"

"C'mon, let's go."

So we jumped in my car, and when we got to the range, I gave him my Sam Snead Blue Ridge driver. He was 6'4" and about 240 , which is about how far he was hitting a baby draw driver after about three swings. I'll always remember his smile that day. I regret that we moved eight hours away shortly after that, and he never got the chance to have an active retirement, because I think I could have had him playing and enjoying the game.

I consider myself very fortunate.

I'll always treasure those weekend 9s and 18s when he was in his teens and early 20s.

I feel the same way about my dad. He never had the time or means to be able to golf, but he loved sports and was naturally athletic. (I inherited only the former.) Shortly after I took up the game, my parents came to visit and he saw my bag of clubs. He said, "How often do you play." I told him I was in a weekly league and I usually hit a driving range about five minutes away.

"How far?"

"C'mon, let's go."

So we jumped in my car, and when we got to the range, I gave him my Sam Snead Blue Ridge driver. He was 6'4" and about 240 , which is about how far he was hitting a baby draw driver after about three swings. I'll always remember his smile that day. I regret that we moved eight hours away shortly after that, and he never got the chance to have an active retirement, because I think I could have had him playing and enjoying the game.

(Sniff!)

My sons first birdie.

I remember the shots both from my playing partners & my own. Specific shots from years ago

Watching a guy that just lost the USOpen[in a playoff] the day before- come out and play a causal the next day was awe inspiring......changed my golf perspective almost instantly

The courses played & the courses I help build.....the wildlife & mother nature are 2nd to none. Before you heard about a 15ft Gator lumbering at Myakka Pines - there was a 3 legged 18ft behemoth back in the '80s. He popped up one morning as we were building a tee wall....the absolute craziness :D

I could go on forever in this thread

Enjoy the walk people

Holed out on 18 from 150 with 20 of my friends watching from behind the green. I jumped in the lake. Beers were involved. That lake was NASTY but we all had a good chuckle.

1). The first summer playing golf with my son. We had such a blast that year.

2). A trip with a great group of THPers at Barton Creek in Austin, TX this past weekend. (y)

My father, who taught me how to play the game, passed away a long time ago. Dad used to play golf in a group of 8 guys every Saturday and Sunday morning. Once in a while, if one of the regulars couldn’t make it, he’d bring me along to fill in. One of those days, while I was still a teenager, we were playing in the second group. On a par 3, dads friends, in the group ahead, waved us up. With the pressure of hitting in front of dad and 6 of his friends, I dropped my tee shot to about 3 feet from the hole. The guys were pretty impressed and were teasing dad about teaching his kid to play golf. I really could feel how proud my father was of me. He wasn’t normally a guy who said a lot so it was a special moment. We didn’t get to play together much after that and not too long after, he passed.

Back