Best Golf Tip For You?

dacatalyst41

#ReptheG #RocktheChev
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A lot of times, there are huge changes needed in mechanics and technique to really start seeing progress. Other times, a small tweak can change things pretty significantly.

For me, it's a tip I received recently from a buddy of mine who shoots low regularly and it was really simple. Keep my weight on the inside of my trail foot in the backswing. It allows me to feel all of the tension and then puts me in an athletic position to turn in the transition. I've recently seen a marked difference in consistency of strike with nearly every club, including wedges.

What golf tip has made a big difference for you?

RealPretendPsychic

2021 Grandaddy - Team THP
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
This past winter my wife and I went to a simulator. She sent a picture of my swing to a family group text and my mom commented on the lovely bend in my left arm... as insulted as I was, it was a quick fix to get my swing back in line.

-CRW-

Reaction score
I just feel like I’m throwing the club to the target with my trail hand. Like a sidearm throw while bent over. The ball just gets in the way.

It’s the same feeling for chips and pitches. If I want to fly it high and land soft I feel like I’m tossing the ball up to my landing area.

It works for me when putting as well, only I feel like I’m using my trail hand to roll the ball to the hole rather than toss or throw it.

gkeller813

#UsDidIt
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hitting down on my irons, not scooping as much. Really changed how I hit my irons, and now they are so much more accurate and I love hitting them. It has allowed me to find the center of the face on a much more consistent basis. IMO, there's nothing better than a pured iron shot, so this has helped in so many ways, because now I have confidence I didn't have before in my irons.

Luchnia

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have gotten a lot of great tips, but I guess the best tip I ever got was to relax.

cbaker2882

Living the quarantine dream
Reaction score
Handicap
Best tip ever for me - take alignment sticks with you to the range.

jlew2144

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Got it recently and it's improved quite a few areas of my game... all about keeping my right shoulder low and not raising up. When I do it, ball travels down my intended path. When I don't it's hard telling.

TCB2010

How good do the HMB’s look?!
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
I have a pre shot checklist that i look at.

2 tips that ive worked on in the last couple months, 1 overlap grip, 2 open my body a little when chipping, this helps me take the club back straight from the target and throw the club straight to my target.

Molten

Man Down
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A lot of times, there are huge changes needed in mechanics and technique to really start seeing progress. Other times, a small tweak can change things pretty significantly.

For me, it's a tip I received recently from a buddy of mine who shoots low regularly and it was really simple. Keep my weight on the inside of my trail foot in the backswing. It allows me to feel all of the tension and then puts me in an athletic position to turn in the transition. I've recently seen a marked difference in consistency of strike with nearly every club, including wedges.

What golf tip has made a big difference for you?
I was just about to post a similar thread... for me it wasn't a single tip but a the application of two ideas that people have been trying to get me to try. I had done them both separately but never together. When they went together, ball stay in play.

Browns7213

Reaction score
Handicap
While in the bunker a playing partner said open your wedge up, more, more, more, more! Have never had an issue with sand ever since.

JonD

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Only tip I go back to consistently is 'quit trying to kill the ball'. Especially after layoffs, I have a tendency to try and swing too hard. If I dial it back just a touch, the results are oh so much better.

Pretty much everything else is me just going back to the basics that I learned with my coach when things go sideways.

WLG1952

Reaction score
Handicap
I was taught at the very beginning that club head path, and ball impact position were pretty darn important.

I was taught these two swing issues by standing in the center of a Hula Hoop of all things.

That the curvature of the Hula Hoop in front of me (sort of) resembled what the club head path should be like into impact of the ball. That by keeping the club head on the correct path into the ball, this made other body parts work correctly. No casting and it's related problems as an example.

Badger_Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
The best golf tip that Ive ever recieved is to stop listening to golf tips.

Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Best tip was to stay relaxed.

Junkyard

A Work in Progress
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
"You've got to hit down to make the ball go up" - a reminder to not try to help the ball into the air. Shift your weight and make ball first contact.

Desmond

Is it the Score or the Clubs
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
<10
Too many to count - I can't even go into tip threads ...

Hamfist

I fluff my gimmies.
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
30+
"Have fun."

Snowman

It's a dry heat!
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 12.6
"Give up the game and take up bocce ball." :ROFLMAO:

Scorpion12

B + <-- Be Positive. UP! Not down. Nice not mean.
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
In a sand trap, open your stance and club face.

Hamfist

I fluff my gimmies.
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
30+

BlueHen2006

Team THP #Grandaddy2018
Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Keep your head down when putting and don’t look up until after the ball is moving. My dad told me that and followed with “You can’t lose a ball on the putting green.”

I trust my line and stroke speed and try to keep my head down and trust the shot. Seems to work pretty well for me.

pattyboy21

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So so many tips, tweaks, band-aids, thoughts and more to fall back on when things go wrong! One tip I learned long ago was to try the simple things before thinking I need a whole swing revamp.

A slight change in ball position, checking alignment, strengthening or weakening your grip a bit, choking up or down a bit, widening or narrowing your stance... all of these can yield dramatic and immediate results without changing the swing at all.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in