Best of Southern New Jersey

50f15c0041783f012d0cab8a61f5bc7a.jpg
8cf6d7404a26500cba3828a5a27f5add.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ballamor looks awesome, NoLine. My parents live in the area, I'll have to try and get out there one of these times when I'm visiting.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Ballamor looks awesome, NoLine. My parents live in the area, I'll have to try and get out there one of these times when I'm visiting.

I think you'd enjoy it. The design is as all or as little as you want - certainly a tee box for everyone with good site lines off all tees I played so far.

When you are done playing all of these would really appreciate you ranking them. Would be quite insightful.

I soooo want to play Hidden Creek, Ballamor and ACCC!!! The course looks great

Sand Barrons has really fallen off yet still charges like a wayyyyyy better course I'd steer clear. Cape May National is a great little gem. Gets a Lil pricey in the summer, but one of my golfing 2s in the fall. Harbor Pines is nice and reasonable and they have a ridiculous 500 twilight membership that is too good to be true that I'm joining this year. McCullough Emerald Isle is very challenging and good links golf at a great price.

But my best hidden gem of them all is Green Tree. Not a long course but tight tree lined fairways, course always in great condition, and a fast play. Such a fun course (they have a par 6). Twilight in summer can be had $20 with a cart. $12 off season.

You will find no bigger course snob then me and I have to say that Sand Barrens was in very good shape today. My only complaint was the greens could have been a bit faster but tee to green it was lush and well cared for - exactly as I remembered it from the late 90's when I played it every weekend.

When you are done playing all of these would really appreciate you ranking them. Would be quite insightful.

Happy to do so. I've been back since Saturday - it's fun being home - if it wasn't for November through April I'd come back.

I just love that you can't offend people from SNJ or Philly, no one has an over inflated sense of importance. Honest and humble people. I miss that a lot.

Best of Southern New Jersey

Played Scotland Run this am before heading down to play Sand Barrens. They are still doing work on the bunkers at SR but that remains a solid design and the conditions were top notch. A few photos to share.

dfb9f5e19416e6a51a0bfb3945a955d1.jpg

5d616981d03c94f960e6064f847f7847.jpg

6fcb9339f8539a89858cb0a86675ae56.jpg

193f3091b07e7d41bd1a93c4a32c7ac3.jpg

e6c10c0776c682e692faeb6e5736cc08.jpg

I should add - the bunkers are all now framed in zoysia grass - that will look cool against the fescue and Kentucky blue grass when it goes dormant.

You will find no bigger course snob then me and I have to say that Sand Barrens was in very good shape today. My only complaint was the greens could have been a bit faster but tee to green it was lush and well cared for - exactly as I remembered it from the late 90's when I played it every weekend.

That's good to hear. It used to be a great track, they then sold it and it took a dive for a few years, last year it was absolutely unplayable conditions (and I'm not a course snob at all). By accident my brother in law booked it in May and we played and I was pleasantly surprised with the green parts of the course. The sand still had copius amounts of large stones in it which isn't my favorite on a course that has soo much sand. But I'm really really happy to hear u think it looks good now because u can always use a 27 hole course!

Do the bunkers till have a ton of rocks in them?

That's good to hear. It used to be a great track, they then sold it and it took a dive for a few years, last year it was absolutely unplayable conditions (and I'm not a course snob at all). By accident my brother in law booked it in May and we played and I was pleasantly surprised with the green parts of the course. The sand still had copius amounts of large stones in it which isn't my favorite on a course that has soo much sand. But I'm really really happy to hear u think it looks good now because u can always use a 27 hole course!

Do the bunkers till have a ton of rocks in them?

Yes - still small rocks in the waste bunkers but I always thought that was the case - could be foggy memories on my side though

Yes - still small rocks in the waste bunkers but I always thought that was the case - could be foggy memories on my side though

Ur right that they always had small rocks in the waste bunkers. But I'm talking they had bigger than golf ball size last 2 times I was there

OK - didn't see any of those

I'm very happy to hear it might be making a comeback. As soon as my knee heals I'll play it again!

Twisted Dune has been ranked as one of the best public courses in the state for years. I've never heard of any of these condition issues nor seen them myself. The only issue here is the crowds and wind.

What seasons did you find conditions were in bad shape?

Twisted Dune has been ranked as one of the best public courses in the state for years. I've never heard of any of these condition issues nor seen them myself. The only issue here is the crowds and wind.

What seasons did you find conditions were in bad shape?

We're talking about Sand Barrons with the condition issues. Twisted Dunes is always fantastic

We're talking about Sand Barrons with the condition issues. Twisted Dunes is always fantastic

Ah, I always get those two confused. I'm just glad nothing is wrong with TD.

Great pics of SR. Have only played that course once or twice, but really enjoyed it.

I do love Atlantic City CC except for the price. I played there two Saturdays ago and at $220 per golfer the course should be in near perfect shape. It's not. Tee boxes were not good. Greens and Fairways were fine. The front 9 cannot compare to the back 9 as far as layout is concerned. Even with that thought I love about 6 holes on the front. The front 9 is fine but the back 9's layout is awesome. I love all 9 holes on the back. It is a course I could play all of the time.

Cape May National's layout is awesome, but conditioning has always been the issue there. I heard recently from someone that they have done a much better job recently with conditioning. Same thing with Sand Barrens, which I'm glad to hear is making a comeback.

Ballamor is nicely conditioned, but I find it a bit boring. I feel like on every Par 4 I'm hitting driver/8 iron. Make me make a decision. More risk/reward would make that course a favorite.

Playing Hidden Creek Monday. Extremely high end club house and course, great conditioning, Coore/Crenshaw design, hosting the USGA Senior Men's Amateur next month which should tell you most of what you need to know about how that course is viewed by the people at the USGA. I have only one complaint; the scenery is the exact same no matter what direction you look. There is nothing interesting to look at; no expansive views of anything but pine trees and scrub underbrush, no water(that is one really hidden creek). I guess there is not much you can do about that when you building something on a piece of property like this. It's small complaint admittedly.

Ah, I always get those two confused. I'm just glad nothing is wrong with TD.

Actually, I played Twisted Dune on Monday. What a great course! Very long with wide fairways. Miss them, however, and you're in a world of hurt. The green-side bunkers were brutal, with many over six feet deep. I shot a 61 on the front and a 49 on the back, and yet I felt like I was on my game. It's a real challenge and I can't wait to go back again.

Actually, I played Twisted Dune on Monday. What a great course! Very long with wide fairways. Miss them, however, and you're in a world of hurt. The green-side bunkers were brutal, with many over six feet deep. I shot a 61 on the front and a 49 on the back, and yet I felt like I was on my game. It's a real challenge and I can't wait to go back again.

I do the same thing there. I feel I play fantastic then I look at my card and it's +100

Anything recent?

Back