Best of Southern New Jersey

SJ HACK

Reaction score
Handicap
Clearly
Playing for about 15 years now, mostly in Northern NJ. Since I've moved back to South Jersey, it seems the course selection is limited and dwindling. I've been playing Buena Vista GC, Centerton GC and White Oaks CC the most. All decent tracks for the price. Of course there is the $$$, highly rated tracks (Scotland Run-Ron Jaworski Golf, Blue Heron, Atlantic City GC, Twisted Dune GC).

Any suggestions on some hidden gems?

Rancocas is usually decent for the price though I haven't played there yet this season. Valleybrook and Riverwinds (both Jaworski courses) are always in good shape and reasonable as well. White Clay Creek and Rock Manor in DE are nice tracks.
Check this book out: http://www.golfingforeu.com/

Some good discounts as well as suggestions on courses to play.

Playing for about 15 years now, mostly in Northern NJ. Since I've moved back to South Jersey, it seems the course selection is limited and dwindling. I've been playing Buena Vista GC, Centerton GC and White Oaks CC the most. All decent tracks for the price. Of course there is the $$$, highly rated tracks (Scotland Run-Ron Jaworski Golf, Blue Heron, Atlantic City GC, Twisted Dune GC).

Any suggestions on some hidden gems?
Sea Oaks is fantastic. Any area in particular you're looking?

Anyone play Ballamor lately? I'm scheduled to play with some college buddies on Sunday afternoon after a morning round at Hidden Creek.

Anywhere in SJ is good. Haven't played Sea Oaks, but have heard good things.

Ballamor $$$.

Waiting for a hook to come through for Seaview in fall. A few of us from work are going to hit Twisted Dune after work for $25/9 holes, but they always just let you play as many as you can get in.

I'm originally from South Jersey, but live in Washington now. My favorite tracks I've played in the area:

Scotland Run - Williamstown (yes, $$$, but it's a really good course to hit infrequently or as a treat)
Town and Country Golf Links - Woodstown. Tale of two nines there, the front is pretty links-y, the back is a little more target golf-y. Good course though, not terribly pricy.
RiverWinds - West Deptford. Only played once in the winter, but I really like the layout. Right on the water so it gets pretty windy, but it's in nice shape most of the year.
Westwood - West Deptford. The conditioning can be iffy, but its a very old layout and has some interesting quirks. Plus it's cheap.

The course I grew up playing on, Pitman Golf Course, is pretty cheap and fun too. It's pretty easy and again with the iffy conditioning, but like Westwood it's a really old layout and a few of the holes are really interesting.

Hopefully that helps!

We have been playing Town & Country on Saturday mornings the last couple of weeks. Can't complain about $60 for weekend round. Course is great. I originally played there about 8 yrs ago, prior to giving up golf for a few yrs due to back problem. Now that I am back, T&C is a hidden gem. You are right on two different 9's. If it didn't have those two par 4, dogleg right holes in the woods and was able to configure just a little better it would be a top in SJ. We play the blues @ 6100 yds due to whites only being at 5600.

RiverWinds is nice place. Trying to get my group to splurge a little to ge up there to play.

We have been playing Town & Country on Saturday mornings the last couple of weeks. Can't complain about $60 for weekend round. Course is great. I originally played there about 8 yrs ago, prior to giving up golf for a few yrs due to back problem. Now that I am back, T&C is a hidden gem. You are right on two different 9's. If it didn't have those two par 4, dogleg right holes in the woods and was able to configure just a little better it would be a top in SJ. We play the blues @ 6100 yds due to whites only being at 5600.

RiverWinds is nice place. Trying to get my group to splurge a little to ge up there to play.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of those holes either. If I'm being honest, I like the front 9 a lot better than the back. It just feels more organic, whereas in a few places (like those two holes in the woods you mention) the back feels squeezed in. That being said, the back does have one of the best holes on the course in the island green.

I absolutely love the par 3 17th that juts out into the river at RiverWinds. Really, most of the par 3's there are great holes. I know they jack the rates up a little in the summer, but it's not a bad deal in spring/fall since it stays in decent shape.

Whenever I'm back visiting, I'd love to tee it up with you at either track!

Absolutely. Just hit me up when you are back in the area!!

White Oaks is certainly one of the better values for the quality. It went through a rough patch a couple years back but is in good shape this year. You can get golfnow deals there almost every weekday and most weekends too.

Down that way is Running Deere, formally private course now owned by Jaworski. A little more money but worth it IMO. Always in great shape, interesting layout, tough multi-tiered greens.

Up in Cherry Hill another course worth splurging on is Woodcrest. Formally private, beautiful course with rare elevation changes for South Jersey. Definitely worth playing once at least.

Someone brought up Ballamor. Great course. Played it a month or so ago. Was in great shape and an interesting layout. Would play it again in a heart beat.

In Marlton is The Links. Formerly private as well. Shorter, tree lined course with some cool holes. Can often get golfnow deals to make it real affordable for the quality.

By the way, Scotland Run has 49 dollar twilight rates on weekends starting at 4pm. Did that this past weekend and was finished playing by about 7:30 on a 4:20 tee time. Can't beat it for that price. They are still redoing their bunkers. When that project is completed, the course will be fantastic.

Wedgwood is nice too. Regular rates are a little pricey but you can often get golfnow deals for here. Never that crowded so rounds go quickly. Massive greens that are always in good shape.

Rancocas is a really nice layout with crappy conditions. Robert Trent Jones course design. If you can deal with crappy tee boxes and mediocre green conditions, this course is challenging and one of the cheapest options.

All the courses down the shore (egg harbour city) are great. Check golfnow, there are alway deals to get on those courses for half the price like $60 for example seaview pines and harbour pines.
Woodcrest in Cherry Hill is a great course but way too expensive for what it is. Definitely overpriced.
The Links in Marlton is a course i try to avoid unless you dont mind a 5-6 hr round. Management here is horrible, be prepared to wait 10 mins on every tee box and dont believe them if they tell you its wide open.

With all the rate reductions at White Oaks, are they going to be able to make it through this tough time? I love the course. I want to get a full membership there, but I'm scared it's about to shut down soon. Two years ago they were trying to to get $85-$100 on weekend and $60 during the week. Now every other day they have a day, whether its golfnow or something else its max $65 on wknd and $40 during week. They had deals through golfnow deal caddy for 2 for1 @ $75, with NO restrictions. Last year had same type of deals, plus on groupon but only mon-thurs and after 2 fri-sun. I appreciate the lowered prices and will always give them my money, I'm just hoping they are not going to shut it down after this winter. Anybody hear anything?

White Oaks is certainly one of the better values for the quality. It went through a rough patch a couple years back but is in good shape this year. You can get golfnow deals there almost every weekday and most weekends too.

Down that way is Running Deere, formally private course now owned by Jaworski. A little more money but worth it IMO. Always in great shape, interesting layout, tough multi-tiered greens.

Up in Cherry Hill another course worth splurging on is Woodcrest. Formally private, beautiful course with rare elevation changes for South Jersey. Definitely worth playing once at least.

Someone brought up Ballamor. Great course. Played it a month or so ago. Was in great shape and an interesting layout. Would play it again in a heart beat.

In Marlton is The Links. Formerly private as well. Shorter, tree lined course with some cool holes. Can often get golfnow deals to make it real affordable for the quality.

By the way, Scotland Run has 49 dollar twilight rates on weekends starting at 4pm. Did that this past weekend and was finished playing by about 7:30 on a 4:20 tee time. Can't beat it for that price. They are still redoing their bunkers. When that project is completed, the course will be fantastic.

Wedgwood is nice too. Regular rates are a little pricey but you can often get golfnow deals for here. Never that crowded so rounds go quickly. Massive greens that are always in good shape.

Rancocas is a really nice layout with crappy conditions. Robert Trent Jones course design. If you can deal with crappy tee boxes and mediocre green conditions, this course is challenging and one of the cheapest options.

I play in league on Tuesdays @ Scotland Run. Pay $35 for nine, but they allow us to keep playing the other nine if we want. Can't beat the deal. Next year the course will be back to top in Philly area once the bunkers are done.

With all the rate reductions at White Oaks, are they going to be able to make it through this tough time? I love the course. I want to get a full membership there, but I'm scared it's about to shut down soon. Two years ago they were trying to to get $85-$100 on weekend and $60 during the week. Now every other day they have a day, whether its golfnow or something else its max $65 on wknd and $40 during week. They had deals through golfnow deal caddy for 2 for1 @ $75, with NO restrictions. Last year had same type of deals, plus on groupon but only mon-thurs and after 2 fri-sun. I appreciate the lowered prices and will always give them my money, I'm just hoping they are not going to shut it down after this winter. Anybody hear anything?

Yah, I don't know. Its kinda out in the boonies which doesn't help get traffic. But I'm assuming the cost of the land is also lower because of that and I don't think it will close.

I have actually seen deals for white oaks for $25-$30 on golfnow throughout the summer mostly on weekdays.
The Venures (Renault Winery) was another nice easy course i enjoyed playing this year.

I have actually seen deals for white oaks for $25-$30 on golfnow throughout the summer mostly on weekdays.
The Venures (Renault Winery) was another nice easy course i enjoyed playing this year.
Forgot about Renault. That's a pretty decent course.

Also, I haven't played it, but I've heard really good things about Sand Barrens.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

The Renault topic is perfect example. They were running the same deals on groupon and golfnow with the reduced rate mon-thurs and fri-sun after 2p. I played a few times during that time and played with a mon-fri twilight member that was pissed the course decided to go that route. Prior to all the deals, he would be able to get 18 in several times a week. After the deals, it go so packed, twlight rounds turned into 5 hrs and on 9 holes on most days. It was clearly only being done to get traffic in and hope to save the course, because the following year they had to file chapter 11 stuff. I believe they separated the course from the other properties on site and is run or owned by another company.

Course conditions were great when I did play two yrs ago when the deals were active. Nobody talks about the course anymore, though I know they are still open. With al that said, that's my reasoning for thinking White Oaks is close to being sold, closed or just turned into dog track.

I've got a few of these on the calendar over the next few days and will report back on conditions. So far I'm at Hidden Creek, Ballamor, Sand Barrens, Twisted Dunes, Atlantic City CC, and Renault. Then I'll be closer to Philly for a few days hitting Scotland Run, Running Deer, Glen Mills and Wyncote. Tonight a Pizza Steak is on the agenda.

I've got a few of these on the calendar over the next few days and will report back on conditions. So far I'm at Hidden Creek, Ballamor, Sand Barrens, Twisted Dunes, Atlantic City CC, and Renault. Then I'll be closer to Philly for a few days hitting Scotland Run, Running Deer, Glen Mills and Wyncote. Tonight a Pizza Steak is on the agenda.

Looks like someone has a lot of good golf lined up!

Sand Barrons has really fallen off yet still charges like a wayyyyyy better course I'd steer clear. Cape May National is a great little gem. Gets a Lil pricey in the summer, but one of my golfing 2s in the fall. Harbor Pines is nice and reasonable and they have a ridiculous 500 twilight membership that is too good to be true that I'm joining this year. McCullough Emerald Isle is very challenging and good links golf at a great price.

But my best hidden gem of them all is Green Tree. Not a long course but tight tree lined fairways, course always in great condition, and a fast play. Such a fun course (they have a par 6). Twilight in summer can be had $20 with a cart. $12 off season.

So far so good. Finished up 18 at Hidden Creek. Course is in great shape, very challenging but can be scored on if you play smart. It's a Crenshaw Coore design so traditional is what you will get. Headed over to Ballamor for an afternoon time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some pics from Ballamor
69d05c5e197b236eacaa80c399578644.jpg

87dd5a11be2bdf7aab7adc79abaf4b4b.jpg

6b9fbf80e6f76abf382669543bd9aac3.jpg

b69f90bc80a043e2efedaa72cb8a1f78.jpg

Nice, NoLine. You have quite the line up planned and Hidden Creek is one of my favorites down there, along with ACCC.

Nice, NoLine. You have quite the line up planned and Hidden Creek is one of my favorites down there, along with ACCC.

I could die a happy man playing ACCC ever day., so old school it's cool.

Back