Best Overall Experience - Golf Resorts

Tread23

The Rivalry w/ UST Mamiya - Team E1iterate
Reaction score
Handicap
So I know that various golf publications put out lists of their top golf resorts, but I was hoping to get some firsthand THP feedback based on what you guys have enjoyed.

My wife and I have a big anniversary coming up this August so we’ve managed to get 4-5 days way from the kids to do something. She is not a golfer herself, but I will be able to play as long as she’s got a pool, beach or spa. So my question is, what destinations are at the top of your list if golf is involved but more of an emphasis on the overall experience and things to do outside of golf?

Any guidelines around budget? Also, are you looking to stay within the US or open to others. A lot of great resorts so could give you a huge list.

Any guidelines around budget? Also, are you looking to stay within the US or open to others. A lot of great resorts so could give you a huge list.
Since we only have 4-5 days I’d say probably within the US. Not too concerned about the budget.

Carmel is amazing and super Romantic. You all will have a lot to do together and you can break away and play as a single at Pebble, Spyglass, etc. You can bump over to San Fran or wine country for a day or two as well.

This thread I gotta follow. When the lake house is sold I’m going somewhere.

This thread I gotta follow. When the lake house is sold I’m going somewhere.
It may have died before it got off the ground. I know people here travel to golf...

Also anxious to see some responses here. I wouldn't assume Bandon would be the deal if the wife wants something else to do. Florida? Myrtle Beach?

I will suggest Sea Island here in Georgia. 3 great courses, great dining, spa, fishing, and very relaxing. The town St. Simons is quaint and laid back. Give it a look.

Depending on what you are looking for you might consider the Austin or San Antonio area if you aren't interested in the ocean/beach. In San Antonio you have the JW Marriott with the TPC San Antonio or La Cantera. Both have 2 great courses along with pools and spas. Then there is the Riverwalk in San Antonio. Around Austin you could do the Hyatt Hill Country in Bastrop. Wolfdancer is a hard but nice course there. Barton Creek in Austin has 4 great courses and isn't far from downtown Austin. Then there is Horseshoe Bay which is on Lake LBJ west of Austin which has 3-4 courses.

La Costa immediately comes to my mind.

Since it looks like you are in Maryland and only have 4-5 days I would suggest The Greenbrier. I personally have not been but a friend went last year and said it was phenomenal. He went with his wife and kids and got 2 rounds in over 5 days. If the kids were not with him he said he would have done 36 all 5 days.

Great suggestions guys, thanks! I too am looking to put together a little getaway in the near future, so am grateful for the thread!

August.……..From MD...…..I might look at Lake of Isles in CT. Potentially Saratoga National in NY. Also Nemocolin in PA.

I stayed at the Renaissance Vinoy Resort in St Petersburg, FL during Thanksgiving week last year. Top notch experience. The Vinoy Golf Club was in great shape. Pool, spa, golf.

Moved this over to the Travel section.
Do you have a state in mind? If you do, I can give you some of my favorites.

Also anxious to see some responses here. I wouldn't assume Bandon would be the deal if the wife wants something else to do. Florida? Myrtle Beach?

Not in August, at least for Florida. That time of year makes southern locations tough. I have to agree with Monterey and Carmel. Beautiful location, great walking spots, restaurants, and of course the incredible golf. Maybe Bermuda? Or Canada- the Fairmont in Alberta? No beaches but the spa and lake may be nice.

The Fairmont Grand Del Mar. Its amazing. Lebron James was married there.

Casa de Campo in the D.R. is amazing!! 3 golf courses on this massive property (which is why every room gets a golf cart). Minitas beach club and restaurants were top notch. Definitely going back soon!!
ea1b14c81a03a0ff4ff054e9a5cb418b.jpg
e62bbb8f1b9db9d8c6d39099fe4243f4.jpg

Casa de Campo in the D.R. is amazing!! 3 golf courses on this massive property (which is why every room gets a golf cart). Minitas beach club and restaurants were top notch. Definitely going back soon!!
ea1b14c81a03a0ff4ff054e9a5cb418b.jpg
e62bbb8f1b9db9d8c6d39099fe4243f4.jpg
That looks great. What time of the year did you go?

Lacosta Golf in Carlsbad, CA was a great experience.

That looks great. What time of the year did you go?
June... and was able to play Teeth of the Dog before it closed for maintenance... so check online before going

Great. Thanks for the update.

The Moon Palace in Cancun is one of the wife and I's favorites.
All inclusive, they have 27 holes onsite and access to 2 other 18 hole courses.
Pools galore, swim up bars, lots of nightly entertainment, etc.....

Not Bandon dunes. There is almost nothing to do besides golf.

Back