Best place to retire and become a Golf Bum

Out of curiosity, are you a member of a club in Naples? I was just wondering if it was difficult to get tee times during the winter months not being a member. I know there are a lot of courses in Naples, but have heard that it's difficult to get a tee time in the winter.

I’m not a member and wouldn’t consider it until we are there for the entire winter in 3 years. It’s busy at the courses from after Christmas until early April but you can get times if you plan ahead. I’ve played four of the private courses down there as I have buddies/neighbors who have memberships. So far I’m not very impressed with the private clubs especially for how much they charge for initiation and annual dues. The expense might not be worth it. As an example Collier’s Reserve has a $65k no equity initiation fee and dues are about $16k per year. Pretty steep for the 80 rounds I would get in the 6-7 months we would be there each year. The resort courses by our summer home in Minnesota are better golf courses in better shape and are about $3k for an annual membership(no initiation fee) which includes cart. I will likely just play public golf in Naples along with the 10ish rounds at private clubs where I can get an invite each year.

Out of curiosity, are you a member of a club in Naples? I was just wondering if it was difficult to get tee times during the winter months not being a member. I know there are a lot of courses in Naples, but have heard that it's difficult to get a tee time in the winter.

The Naples area does have an extreme number of courses but most all are private. There are some public/resort options but not many that I would recommend and the better of those options are expensive and can be difficult to snag a reasonable tee time. If someone has a plan is to spend the winter in Naples and play 3 or 4 times per week I would suggest looking for a private club that offers some type of seasonal/winter membership. I'm not very familiar with the Ft Myers golfing scene so can not speak to it.

I still have a ways to go before retirement but seriously looking to become a FL resident in November. FL tax structure wins the first round but SC and AZ are on the list when retirement truly arrives. We have several good friends and family on the gulf side. Still deciding between Sarasota and Fort Myers but Sarasota will win.

Spent time researching country clubs this summer but that's a big ticket, especially when you're only there for 6+ months. Currently researching semi-private golf clubs with annual passes. Ideal is two walkable courses. My gal's biggest issue...humidity is hard on her hairdo. :censored:

@robo729 - have you thought about joining a club for the winter months? I've played public courses the last two winters and would like to change it up this year.

Also SC law is that anyone over 65 does not pay property taxes

Just an FYI: "Homeowners at age 65 are exempt from property tax on the first $50,000 of the value of their legal residence, once they apply for the Homestead Exemption at their local county auditor’s office". The balance of the value of the property is still fully taxable.

However SC does have some favorable tax treatment on both social security benefits and income as below:

"In addition to Social Security benefits being exempt from state income tax, each senior can deduct another $15,000 of income from any source starting at age 65, and that’s after counting their federal tax deduction. As a result, many seniors pay no South Carolina income tax".

I still have a ways to go before retirement but seriously looking to become a FL resident in November. FL tax structure wins the first round but SC and AZ are on the list when retirement truly arrives. We have several good friends and family on the gulf side. Still deciding between Sarasota and Fort Myers but Sarasota will win.

Spent time researching country clubs this summer but that's a big ticket, especially when you're only there for 6+ months. Currently researching semi-private golf clubs with annual passes. Ideal is two walkable courses. My gal's biggest issue...humidity is hard on her hairdo. :censored:

@robo729 - have you thought about joining a club for the winter months? I've played public courses the last two winters and would like to change it up this year.
I am looking at all options available in Southwest Florida. We love Az, but with 3 Grand-kids in Georgia, the wife is not going too far.
Check out the link below, I know these golf course may be further south than you want, but it's nice to look at all options.

I am looking at all options available in Southwest Florida. We love Az, but with 3 Grand-kids in Georgia, the wife is not going too far.
Check out the link below, I know these golf course may be further south than you want, but it's nice to look at all options.

I live in Bonita Bay Club West (just North of Naples) - we have 3 Arthur Hills designed courses and access to 2 additional courses at Bonita Bay Club East. There is no shortage of golf, I just recommend that you move into a community with more then one course as many of my neighbors don’t live here year round and when they come back in November through March the tee times get harder to come by.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I live in Bonita Bay Club West (just North of Naples) - we have 3 Arthur Hills designed courses and access to 2 additional courses at Bonita Bay Club East. There is no shortage of golf, I just recommend that you move into a community with more then one course as many of my neighbors don’t live here year round and when they come back in November through March the tee times get harder to come by.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the information. We love that area, stayed close by for 3 months (Dec - Feb) a couple of years ago.
Kind of what I thought and I don't want to be caught in a situation where I don't have the option to get a tee time.

Enjoy and thanks.

The Naples area has really missed an opportunity. Collier County recently purchased the old Golden Gate course as the area has been desperate for a 'muni' for years. The problem is that the five elected county commissioners in their infinite wisdom that the course should be reduced to 12 holes!!!! Their rational is that "golf is a rich mans game" and the area has enough golf courses! The reality is that there is really no place for kids, or people of limited means to play in the winter down here!! I plan on contacting the Golf Channel and every golf outlet I can think of to point out the utter stupidity of these morons!!

The Naples area has really missed an opportunity. Collier County recently purchased the old Golden Gate course as the area has been desperate for a 'muni' for years. The problem is that the five elected county commissioners in their infinite wisdom that the course should be reduced to 12 holes!!!! Their rational is that "golf is a rich mans game" and the area has enough golf courses! The reality is that there is really no place for kids, or people of limited means to play in the winter down here!! I plan on contacting the Golf Channel and every golf outlet I can think of to point out the utter stupidity of these morons!!
I thought Collier County was conservative, that sounds like something liberals would do.:sneaky: Leave it up to the Gubermerment and it will get screwed up.....

Now starting to look at some of the golf course communites in Valencia, Spain and elsewhere along the southern coast of Spain like Costa del Sol.

If I had a viable remote job, I'd move there in a heartbeat!

Mexico is still high on the wish list but Spain is awesome...

I am going to retire to Tuscon Az

When retired, 12 years ago, we did the RV thing and traveled for several years. We bought a very nice, comfortable RV.

We would still come back to our home in The Vegas Valley during the colder months. Vegas winters don't last very long, and even then, 60*f and sunny days are quite common.

The RV has taken us deep into Mexico, into Canada, and at last count, 45 plus states including Alaska.

A lot of golf and sight seeing has been the norm on these trips.

As our retirement trips progressed, we started staying a way from our home base longer. When not there, our main home is taken care by other family members. Mostly Grandkids.

Over the past 12+ years we have gone through three RVs for vehicle warranty, and personal comfort reasons. We found out early this was also a money saving way to enjoy our lives after work days.

Just a thought.

When retired, 12 years ago, we did the RV thing and traveled for several years. We bought a very nice, comfortable RV.

We would still come back to our home in The Vegas Valley during the colder months. Vegas winters don't last very long, and even then, 60*f and sunny days are quite common.

The RV has taken us deep into Mexico, into Canada, and at last count, 45 plus states including Alaska.

As our retirement trips progressed, we started staying a way from our home base longer. When not there, our main home is taken care by other family members. Mostly Grandkids.

Over the past 12+ years we have gone through three RVs for vehicle warranty, and personal comfort reasons. We found out early this was also a money saving way to enjoy our lives after work days.

Just a thought.
We have definitely considered this as an option too. I suppose you can chase the nice weather.

The Las Vegas Valley has tons to offer. No state sales tax, plenty of courses, great weather, and tons of great restaurants. Tons of golf courses in nearby states too. If you have to fly, McCarran is the best in and out airport around. I've been here since 2003 and couldn't think of anywhere else I'd rather be.

I am working on the area first, golf membership would be second. I am probably looking at a semi-private option with a seasonal membership. I have looked into some and they do seem affordable. I currently play90% of my golf on muni’s in the Northeast so I think Florida’s muni’s would beat any of them too.

thanks for the info. I am going to take a look at this article. Seems to have a lot of info.

Just a thought.

My wife and I joke about it all of the time. I would love tobuy an RV and travel the country. We almostrented one this summer to drive from NY out to Wyoming, Montana, Utah and etc but due to Covid that kind of put a kibosh to those plans. Maybe next year, if I don’t retire by then. Hearing rumors of a sweetened buyout for eligible employees coming by the end of this year. I might be retired a little earlier than I thought and very young at that, I just turned 51.

Keep in mind that a high percentage of the "bundled" golf communities on that list were designed with the homesites all ready plotted prior to a course being designed. It does have an effect in the overall outcome of the course itself. That being said there are a few bundled communities that started as true non-bundled golf course communities but due to housing market drops the communities evolved into bundled comunities for self survival. Those community courses are dramatically better than those strictly designed as bundled communities from the outset.

I am working on the area first, golf membership would be second. I am probably looking at a semi-private option with a seasonal membership. I have looked into some and they do seem affordable. I currently play90% of my golf on muni’s in the Northeast so I think Florida’s muni’s would beat any of them too.
This course is currently #1 on my list. University Park CC

Back