Best place to retire and become a Golf Bum

Personally, I would go to Arizona. If you move to South Carolina or Florida the humidity will kill you. I love central to south Florida and will probably relocate there due to it being closer to the grand kids. The wife must be fairly close to them. Happy Wife = Happy Life

Myrtle Beach, SC

Southwest. Really enjoyed our trip to Tucson this winter.

Spoiled by Minnesota summers over the last 20-years and never want to deal with 90 plus temps and humidity again. For a combination of golf & non-golf outdoor activities I love St. George Utah but the January & much of February temps wont meet the 60-degree minimum.

I love Palm springs. Go there 3-4 times a year. And its a 2.25 hr drive to San Diego and in between, Riverside has a slew of courses.
Only place i've been where I and skied and golfed the same day.
I know, really hot summer, so we'll come back to Minnesota for part of the summer. And if my daughter has a baby, I'm thinkin wife wont be leaving from here anyway. So we'll be splitting time.

Attachments

• Palm springs -2017.jpg
    Palm springs -2017.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Mission Lakes.jpg
    Mission Lakes.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Palm springs hiking.jpg
    Palm springs hiking.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 25
I love Palm springs. Go there 3-4 times a year. And its a 2.25 hr drive to San Diego and in between, Riverside has a slew of courses.
Only place i've been where I and skied and golfed the same day.
I know, really hot summer, so we'll come back to Minnesota for part of the summer. And if my daughter has a baby, I'm thinkin wife wont be leaving from here anyway. So we'll be splitting time.

thank you for the helpful information. I have been to Palm Springs once in Sept 2018. We happened to be there and it was still very hot. If we were to make that move it would be for only November to April for sure. Way too hot other times of the year.

thank you for the helpful information. I have been to Palm Springs once in Sept 2018. We happened to be there and it was still very hot. If we were to make that move it would be for only November to April for sure. Way too hot other times of the year.
Summers are hot - but desert courses are cheap and uncrowded all summer! (y) While most of the country is in prime golf season, summer is the offseason for desert courses.

Hilton Head is on my radar. Myrtle for MANY good courses and cheaper living. Tampa area can't be beat for year round living.

So here is the deal: I am nearing retirement, within the next 3 years, and starting to look at places to either buy a 2nd home, or if it comes to it, rent for the winter months. I currently live in NYC, where obviously the cost of living is high but I do have a house that is paid for already. I want to be in obviously a warmer climate for the winter months, say from January to April at least, possibly November to April.
My only requirements are as follows:
1. Warmer climate, it can be anywhere in the US. Winter temperature has to consistently be above 60 during the day, I would prefer even warmer but know that this isn't neccessarily possible.
2. Lower cost of living.
3. Places to see and explore.
4. Good/decent food experience, hard to beat NYC's food options.
5. Access to airports for other travel needs.

I will take any and all suggestions. I am open to many different scenarios, buy or rent, condo or house, multiple locations over the winter or just a single location. I am sure THPers will be one of my better resources for this adventure.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Hawaii.

4/5 ain't bad.

I would go to Jacksonville, FL. There are a bazillion golf courses nearby, homes aren't that expensive, and it's more like a normal town than a lot of Florida areas. The beaches are dynamite as well.

Central Florida. For better cost of living in Florida, just stay away from the coast. Highlands County where I live is a great county to live in. Low cost of living and plenty of great golf course's

My cousin just retired as a fireman and settled in Bluffton, SC. Minutes from Hilton Head. House is on a golf course. I had a great visit.

I love Palm Springs but if you’re looking to move for just Nov-April, that’s the peak season and expensive (at least $100 per round) (although you can find deals on underpar or through the SCGA)

I'm getting a offer to visit Reynolds Plantation. I haven't seen that one come up here. Thoughts?
Reynolds has changed a lot over the years. The Reynolds Family that owned all the property and started the clubs went under years ago. Not sure who owns or runs the operations now. They have 6 courses, I believe and they are nice. You are just out in the country, very little shopping unless you drive 30 miles. If all you and the wife want is golfing, it's would be worth checking out. It is built on a lake with a lot of beautiful homes.

I'm getting a offer to visit Reynolds Plantation. I havent seen that one come up here. Thoughts?
Reynolds has changed a lot over the years. The Reynolds Family that owned all the property and started the clubs went under years ago. Not sure who owns or runs the operations now. They have 6 courses, I believe and they are nice. You are just out in the country, very little shopping unless you drive 30 miles. If all you and the wife want is golfing, it's would be worth checking out. It is built on a lake with a lot of beautiful homes.

Reynolds is now owned by MetLife insurance company. As mentioned 6 golf courses, multiple restaurants on property, a shooting grounds, multiple fitness centers, pools, tennis/pickle ball courts and of course the lake. It is in the middle of nowhere, while there are grocery stores close you'll need to go to Athens, Augusta or Atlanta for shopping & culture/entertainment. Lots of sports celebs/coaches have houses there and while you don't have to be rich to live there, it helps. Definitely worth the exploratory visit to play a few of the courses & see for yourself.

For me it kind of depends on how warm you want it to be in the winter and how hot in the summer. If you want shorts in the winter you need south FL, Arizona or the California desert. Those places are very hot during the summer. More temperate in the summer means colder in the winter.

A quick scan and I'm a tad amazed that nobody seems to have nailed where you will actually go. You'll end up in the Palm Beach area of Florida....That's where so many New Yorkrs go. Great restaurants. Many things to do. Very warm. Much lower cost of living. Set up FL residency immediately. Possibly do 2 places but ultimately probably one in FL to escape the big taxes...Superb golf everywhere there. Many airports with direct flights...And push come to shove can drive so your car is there.

a different take for me. I want to be where my lifelong playing partners are. I own a place in florida already so I can go down and fish Jan to end of Feb. but the course is more about playing with my buddies

A quick scan and I'm a tad amazed that nobody seems to have nailed where you will actually go. You'll end up in the Palm Beach area of Florida....That's where so many New Yorkrs go. Great restaurants. Many things to do. Very warm. Much lower cost of living. Set up FL residency immediately. Possibly do 2 places but ultimately probably one in FL to escape the big taxes...Superb golf everywhere there. Many airports with direct flights...And push come to shove can drive so your car is there.
FWIW, I did recommend the Stuart/PSL area just north..,and cheaper to boot.

FWIW, I did recommend the Stuart/PSL area just north..,and cheaper to boot.
I retired and moved to PSL....from CT......But NYers mostly go closer to Palm Beach/ Ft Lauderdale....better night life scene...

I retired and moved to PSL....from CT......But NYers mostly go closer to Palm Beach/ Ft Lauderdale....better night life scene...
Didn’t see the part where the OP mentioned the importance of night life, just that he’s nearing retirement. There are plenty of NY’ers who don’t really care about night life.

As much as I want to say the above is a 100% possibility, my wife actually wants to explore. I am okay with that, I want to see how places are for a longer stretch than a week or two, so we can get a better feel for those areas. I might go with a 3 month trial in a number of places till we see what places we like and then narrow down and go from there.

Gotta be Arizona or Vegas area. FL is OK for golf but nothing to “explore”. Aside from beaches, FL is ugly to look at. Id probably go AZ due to proximity to more fun/cool stuff to do and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also SC law is that anyone over 65 does not pay property taxes

Homeowners over 65 are eligible for a homestead property tax exemption of $20,000. All vehicles including cars, motorcycles, and recreational vehicles are taxed as property in South Carolina. The rate is around is 3% of the vehicle's Blue Book value.

Hi, pal. I want to tell you my story, which should answer on your question. Long story short, I moved to UK some months ago, and I am in love with this country. There are a lot of places that I can visit but there are some problems with work but I will find one in some weeks. One of the biggest problems, when I was moving, was with all my things, I didn't know how to transport them all. Thanks to Man and Van London Collections, who came quickly and loaded all in an hour and helped me to bring them to my new house. I liked how they worked because I didn't see people working with so much attention. I enjoy everything here, even rain makes me happy. Summarizing all, I want to say, that you should choose the place for becoming the Golf Bum by yourself, because only you know where is your paradise.

Last edited:
Back