Best Rock Album of All Time from Start to Finish?

Rumors
Joshua Tree
Born To Run
The Wall
Dark Side of the Moon
Pet Sounds
London Calling
The Ramones

Pet Sounds ? You Still Believe in Me has my favorite harmonies in any song ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the ramones is a freaking national treasure.
I've been pretty deep into London Calling recently but I'm digging the genre (God bless anything different from the sugary pop my kids so love...punk is just the ticket) so The Ramones is about to get some play time.

As a big Journey fan from way back, Evolution and Raised on Radio are very good.

Back in Black and Appetite for me.

I can still listen to those straight thru to this day.

Nirvana Nevermind was one of my favorites, but over time it's gotten so played out that I'd lean more towards In Utero.

Metallica- Black Album was also highly debated, but most liked Master of Puppets better, so it was out...

I think Master and Ride the Lightning are both better than the black album.

Lots of good ones have already been mentioned (Hysteria, Joshua Tree, Ten, etc.). I have to throw in the following:

Journey - Escape

... I was a DJ in Philadelphia on my way to Chicago in 1976 and at that time, 2 of my favorite LP's were James Gang Rides Again and Desperado. When I found out Joe Walsh had joined the Eagles and they would be releasing a new LP I was just so excited but cautious trying not to have pre conceived ideas. Coming to work early that day to listen to the new LP, I put Hotel California on the turntable and was absolutely blown away. Bookended in two mind boggling social commentaries with Hotel California and The Last Resort, I can still sometimes feel that initial amazement of "this is the best LP combining lyrics, guitar work and vocals. Ever."

For me it's GNR Appetite For Destruction or Metallica Master of Puppets

Love that it's start to finish, BTW.

Adding to Meat Loaf...

Tom Petty - Damn the Torpedos

The Band - Music from Big Pink

pink floyd the wall is a masterpiece

appetite for destruction is a great call

siamese dream defined my youth

weezer blue album is phenomenal

The Wall is awesome. Even better when one was in that state of mind while listening to it.

Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell

Great album. We saw him on Saturday Night Live and thought this guy is a joke, he'll never make it.

So we were wrong.

The Wall is awesome. Even better when one was in that state of mind while listening to it.

i do(n’t) have any idea what you’re referring to...

Was also a big R.E.M. fan so have to throw in Automatic for the People and Out of Time.

Love that it's start to finish, BTW.

Adding to Meat Loaf...

Tom Petty - Damn the Torpedos

The Band - Music from Big Pink
For the purposes of the discussion, Greatest Hits compilations weren’t allowed...

The Eagles Greatest Hits ‘71-‘75 would win hands down...

Fair enough, was gonna ask because picking a greatest hits album is akin to just picking a favorite band.

With that, I submit...

Bad Company (debut album of the same name, Bad Company)

Man. This is so generational imho....I could argue from my generation on behalf of Metallica....pick one of the early ones lol

If you mean hard rock (and based on your list I think you do), then it's Appetite, and it's not even close.
With a broader definition of rock music, I think there are a lot more contenders:
Born to Run
Dark Side of the Moon
any of several Beatles albums
Zeppelin IV
Van Halen
Moving Pictures

Joshua Tree

Good call on Van Halen and Moving Pictures.

I'd also submit Deep Purple - Machine Head.

So many that I love start to finish. I submit two by The Who.

Tommy
Quadraphenia

Absolutely love The Cure. So....

Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me
Disintegration

Hard not to include GnR....Jesus they had some great music and I saw them again last year..

Axel. Has. Not. Aged. Kindly

This brought up a discussion between myself and some friends, centered around listening to albums from start to finish, and what was the greatest Rock album (from start to finish) of all time?
Def Leppard- Hysteria

A very good album no doubt, but in my mind it is Def Leppard's 3rd best album. Both Pyromania and High n' Dry are better in my opinion.

Metallica- Black Album was also highly debated, but most liked Master of Puppets better, so it was out...

As it should be. Puppets demolishes the black album.

Since you say no Greatest hits, I would still stay with the Eagles, Hotel California.

Born To Run - Springsteen. Absolute perfection.

Ten by Pearl Jam would be a close second for me.

Wow some great ones on here. Makes me want to bust out the cds. Nirvana nevermind, listened to that on repeat so many times. Same with Metallica and G N R

Back