Best Shot in Masters History?

Since it didn't specifically ask for best in the tournament, my pick is Gary Nicklaus Jr's hole in one during the 2018 Par 3 tournament. To step up and hole out at Augusta, in front of Jack and the crowd, still wearing his caddy uniform. I just can't imagine a better moment. In play, gotta be Mr. Woods and the chip.
ooo, that's a good one, that was amazing.

This may not be the best, but it's the first I remember.

i know it’s only the 6th post down, but that’s still too far down. nothing comes close.

[
My avatar probably gives away my answer... haha. So many amazing moments, but Tiger’s chip in on 16 in ‘05 was the source of my passion for this game. I’ll never forget the energy watching that live in my dorm room with like 20 guys.

You can thank the CBS golf producer for keeping the camera on the ball for that extra second. I saw him interviewed on the Golf Channel yesterday and he stated he was going to switch to Tiger’s reaction to the shot before the ball went in.

Tiger on 16
Bubba on 10

This may not be the best, but it's the first I remember.

As someone newer to following PGA golf this is the highlight I have seen the most BY FAR. I have not watched enough tournaments to really weigh in too much on this thread but this is the stand out from my limited viewing for sure.

Tiger’s chip in on 16 in 2005, I remember running around the house screaming at my wife. Luckily I was taping it so I must’ve watched it 25 times in a row because I can just never seen a shot like that ..... ever. Plus I think they showed it on TV about 25 times in a row as well ha ha.

If you factor in how impactful the shot was, the argument for the greatest ever at the Masters isn't even close.

In one fell swoop on a miraculous shot, it slam dunk brought the win.

d6fe3edccfcd41acad190f6f2cf22fd8.jpg

Jack's tee shot on 16 in the 1986 Masters stands out to me as almost "ice cold" & "cocky" when he stoned it.

While the ball is in the air...................

Jackie - be right!

Jack - It is.

That shot stands out over everything I've witnessed over the years.

Last edited:
Best has to be the tiger chip!

Worst might be molinari dunking that ball last year... Look at the mental repercussions that caused... He lost all confidence.

Also that spieth blow up might be in the running...

There's so many to choose from, but this is the shot that sticks out to me when people talk about all-time great shots in the Masters. One of the few shots I can vividly remember watching on TV.

I’d have to go with Bubba, considering the situation. But Tiger’s chip is a close 2nd.

Pretty cool moments where you just have to say “Bubba’s hook” or Tiger’s chip and you know exactly what it’s about!

I'll go with Larry Mize's birdie chip-in for the win in a playoff. He could have hit 500 balls from there and probably not made par on half of them. Norman really was unlucky in majors having lost a couple of them to unlikely holed shots.

There have been many awesome shots at Augusta, but Mize’s chip-in was simply incredible.

As someone who once had a very lucky albatross back in the day on a short par 5 - it has to be Sarazen’s as it built the legend of Augusta but 2nd is Tiger’s chip because of the iconic swoosh on ball making last rotation.

Here are pictures of many of them and a fair ranking for Bubba’s as best: https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2421384-ranking-the-10-best-shots-in-masters-history.amp.html

I actually think Jack’s putt on 17 beats his shot on 16 as it won the tournament on 86 using that large putter head.

While there have been some great & historic one-off shots, Larry Mize chipping in to WIN the Masters has to be the greatest!

I'd have to go Bubba 1 and Oosthuizen's double eagle #2.

I think Tiger's Chip-In took great skill and green reading, was very dramatic with the ball and took great skill -- I think it wins Most Dramatic Moment

But Mize's shot? It was for all the marbles and took great skill.

Were they both more lucky than skill?

Good Luck is when skill meets opportunity.

Bubba's shot is #1... it won him the Green Jacket.

Even though it's my number 1, all the others are razor close to it.

And Mize’s didn’t?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigers chip for sure.
It's probably the most viewed shot in golf. I wouldn't be surprised if most non golfers named that shot if they were asked to recall one amazing shot they've ever seen. For good reason too. The drama was through the roof.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I gotta go with Bubba's shot

It has to be Sarazen's double eagle in 1935. That shot changed everything.

Back