Best Shot You Hit This Year

Lions81

Reaction score
Handicap
For a lot of us in colder climates, the golf season is just about over. We all like to remember our best shots and forget the bad ones, So let's hear about the best shot or 2 you hit this year.

3 wood to 6 inches on a par 5 to set up a tap in eagle and knocking in a 58* from 86 yards for eagle.

Holing out from 185 for an albatross.

2 that come to mind are a drive to 3 feet on a 319 downwind par 4 in Florida last spring and a 4 wood to 1 foot on a par 5 approach over water from 235 yards.

2 standouts for me this year

On day 1 of my club's member-guest tourney, holed out from 190 on a really tough par 4 for eagle.

Sudden death playoff in my club championship, hit a perfect 9 iron from 140 to about 3 feet to make birdie and win.

one of my best had to be the 60ish yard pitch i had on sunday at the kickoff classic paired up with dean snell and playing against jason almeida of snell and @sox fan. sox had already hit a really nice shot into about 12-15' for birdie. i was coming out of the rough to a somewhat front pin over a bunker, and i had already shanked a couple wedges that day. dean told me i could get my ball closer than theirs, so i was feeling the pressure! i clipped it beautifully to about 5' and it stopped on a dime. dean was so pumped watching his ball perform like that, and of course he buried the putt.

another was my drive on the short par 4 17th at champions gate national playing with thp'ers. iirc it was like 270ish, and there's nowhere to miss. i hit and held the green, but of course 3-putted for par. interestingly i also hit the par 4 12th on the international course with thp'ers this month, and 3-putted for par again haha.

this year hasn't seen my handicap move at all. it's been a fun year with some good golf and some really bad golf. i'm hoping to make some commitments to get my game in shape next year, and hopefully play better.

The obvious answer for me would be the HIO I got in Feb during a club tournament.

The other memorable shot for me this year was an 8i I holed out from 175 for an albatross on a short par5 during a work tournament.

one of my best had to be the 60ish yard pitch i had on sunday at the kickoff classic paired up with dean snell and playing against jason almeida of snell and @sox fan. sox had already hit a really nice shot into about 12-15' for birdie. i was coming out of the rough to a somewhat front pin over a bunker, and i had already shanked a couple wedges that day. dean told me i could get my ball closer than theirs, so i was feeling the pressure! i clipped it beautifully to about 5' and it stopped on a dime. dean was so pumped watching his ball perform like that, and of course he buried the putt.

another was my drive on the short par 4 17th at champions gate national playing with thp'ers. iirc it was like 270ish, and there's nowhere to miss. i hit and held the green, but of course 3-putted for par. interestingly i also hit the par 4 12th on the international course with thp'ers this month, and 3-putted for par again haha.

this year hasn't seen my handicap move at all. it's been a fun year with some good golf and some really bad golf. i'm hoping to make some commitments to get my game in shape next year, and hopefully play better.

Lol, the hole you drove the green was where I️ had my worst shot all year (practice swing may have hit the ball dead right into a bunker) but man that was an awesome shot you hit into that green!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure I've hit any shots this year that are worthy of "best shot of the year". Or maybe I just have a poor memory?

I'm not sure I've hit any shots this year that are worthy of "best shot of the year". Or maybe I just have a poor memory?

See Im the opposite, ive hit sooooo many amazing shots its hard just limiting it to 1 or 2....yeah thats it

*Reserving this spot for a shot I hit 3 weeks from now in CA*

:D

Early April, 425 Par 5, so not long, Hit Driver that left me 200 yards left to the hole.
Green guarded up front with 2 bunkers.
I said to my playing partner "I can get there if I can just take an easy swing with my 3w"
Well, that is what I did - Landed 6 ft. from the pin and made the putt for Eagle, 1st one ever.

Easy ....

June 18th, 3:31 pm, 6th hole at my home course, MeadowWood.
148 yard par 3. Smooth 8 iron for my first HIO.

See Im the opposite, ive hit sooooo many amazing shots its hard just limiting it to 1 or 2....yeah thats it

See I'm both of you. I've hit some amazing shots this year but none of them were happened 'when it counts'. :bulgy-eyes:

Not sure I can pick 1 but several stand out.

Hole out from 74 yards
Hit the pin from 278 yards
Drove a 310 yard par 4 that plays 30 yards uphill.
Hit the green from 270 where I had a 5 yard gap in the trees 20 yards away and had to aim it about 40 yards out into the lake and hit a huge cut, put it to like 15 or 20 feet.

The most fun and total luck shot was I hit the bathroom building on the course and came to a rest with it between me and the ball but there was a hallway. So I took a super hook low hybrid from like 170 through the hallway between 2 separate gaps in the trees that were about 4 yards wide and 7 yards wide about 45 yards and 70 yards out. Somehow hit the green. I guess that would be the best one.

That was a hell of a clutch shot at the KickOff Classic!

5W from 205Y to 3 feet on a Par 5. Made the eagle putt.

In a 4-man scramble last month we had 170-175 to the pin with bunkers protecting the front of the green. I am not a big fan of hitting 5iron for some reason, it comes and goes, but this once was struck dead center and right at the flag. Landed on the fringe and rolled past the flag by about 10-12 feet. Felt good striking a long iron like that.

240 yard par 4 #6 at Indian Mounds in Fairmount City IL has a fairway that is 20 yards at its widest and narrows to about 15 yards. It has cart path and a line of trees along the left side, and a small lake along the right. I've never driven this hole well. After taking some lessons this summer and getting the new G30 driver, that changed. Hit it straighter than I've ever hit a drive, right up the middle of that skinny little fairway, and left it about 10 yards from the front edge of the green. Bumped on and sunk a 6-foot putt for birdie. It wasn't a monster Daly drive, but it was possibly the most accurate drive I've ever had. Certainly my best shot this year.

A few come to mind...

Chipped in from off the green for my first ever eagle.

Opened up my SW and hit a crazy flop over a tree from about 30 yards out to 2 feet; made the birdie.

Been trying to beat one of my best friends for 10 years now, no luck - until this year. Drained a putt on 18 to win.

I got nuthin...I can't think of anything that really stands out. Maybe some magic happens this weekend.

Best shot was a punch and run that I hit from under a tree that was in the middle of the fairway. I was able to keep it under the branches and hit it with just enough fade that when it hit the ground it rolled right and onto the green. Left myself 5 feet for birdie, I missed the putt but that is a different story. It was a great shot and my 4some thought so too.

My 'best' was done accidentally so I'll describe it last. I had a pair that stand out that went as planned though.

1) 16.5* hybrid up to a well guarded false fronted green perched up above a water hazard. It was into the wind and longer than my typical carry so I knew I had to catch it perfect to remain dry. On the stick the whole way and sat within a couple yards of the ball mark and inside 2 feet for an easy birdie.
2) 160 yard fairway bunker shot with a hooded 5 iron to a green guarded front and right by a lake, and penal bunkers left. I only had about a 4 foot vertical window to clear a significant lip while also staying under a low over hanging branch from a tree just in front of the trap. I'd like to say I knocked it stiff and birdied the hole but truth is I only managed to knock it on the front left fringe, but I did save the par. Splitting that vertical window with great contact is what stood out for me.

My actual best wasn't really intentional. Off the tee, I wasn't sure if my ball rolled down into a right side fairway trap or stayed up in the fairway. Neither. Somehow it stopped on an impossible downhill bank. You couldn't lightly flick a ball over the brink and have it stop on that bank, yet somehow mine did. It was hanging so precariously and so far down the steep bank that I tried to get a feel for what I'd try with practice swings 30 feet away on a similar grade. I was only 8 iron distance out and decided my best option was to try to just scrape a hooded half 4 iron left and short of the green. I had to go left because there is a series of four steep little traps up near the green guarding the front right. Getting into the first one would leave me a 50 yard bunker shot for my 3rd into this par 4. KNOWING I'm going to cause the ball to dislodge, (twinkle toes I'm not) I sneak down the bank as gingerly as I can, reach down as far as possible with the 4 iron and just hope I can swing without falling face first into the trap. It didn't go as planned, hit a perfect high soft fade that almost went in. My brother who was up nearer the green said it caught some lip. Tap in birdie.

Last edited:
Having played very little golf (for me) this year, I’ll go with a simple iron tee shot that I hit in Florida a couple of weeks ago.

a6c2fd82374834be593d271c7df72c4c.jpg

fd31170a805cf177010b236ef487a01a.jpg

Tried to miss the birdie putt, but thankfully it snuck in on the left edge.

Back