Best Sounding Drivers

erock9174

Reaction score
Handicap
A buddy and I were discussing driver sound/feel today. This has become a hot button topic as people won't even play a certain club if the acoustics and feel are not right. Also oem's are taking notice and using AI (Cally) and extensive frequency and vibration research in music theory (Ping) to try and enhance the sound/feel of a club.

If you had to pick 3 of your favorite sounding drivers of all time what would they be?

In no particular order, mine would be
Ping G400
Cobra F9
Callaway Mavrik

Previously I had always thought the LTD was the best, but now I think the M5 is.

M5
LTD
Rouge

Nothing sounds or feels better than persimmon ;). I don't use one anymore, but hate a driver that makes to much of a "ping-y" sound. That said I use a Ping driver now and I don't notice much noise ;)

I haven't had enough time with my G410 LST to put it on a list yet so....

XR16 Pro, LTD, and how about the Fly-Z XL for a completely different but enjoyable sound/feel

Honorable mention to the F7+ Weight Forward, which I could substitute for either the LTD or Fly-Z XL

Hogan GS53
Cleveland Classic 290
Titleist 910 D3

I hit a bunch of different heads yesterday and there is nothing on the market that sounds better than TaylorMade SIM and Cobra King SZ.

I hit a bunch of different heads yesterday and there is nothing on the market that sounds better than TaylorMade SIM and Cobra King SZ.

It is super funny to me how everyone interprets sound, and what people like.

I thought the SIM sounded okay, but definitely didn't think it was the best sounding driver I have heard this year.

Of all time, Nike VR Pro Limited and the original Cleveland Launcher. Of the current drivers, I like the sound of the TS3 and the G410.

I like a muted, as non-metalic as possible impact sound. For that sound the various carbon top drivers I've swung are much better than all titanium.
For 2019 I had a G400 and G400LST driver. Both of them produced fine tee shots but I did not like the impact sound, too loud, too metallic. So , I sold the G400's.
These days I rotate in my bag a TM R7 (425CC head size), KZG GF (425 head size), KZG SP700 (355 CC head size), and these are my favorite's to play because each of them has a sweet sound at impact.
On occasion I also play either a 2010 Cleveland TL310 or 2017 Cleveland Launcher HB. These two don't sound as sweet as the three above drivers, but they're both much nicer sounding than the G400.

Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo. :ROFLMAO: It is long and forgiving though.

If some stupid sounding driver adds 15 yards to my drive...sign me up. Sound, really. I don't care.
Feel the same way, where the ball goes is a lot more important to me than what it sounds like getting there.

At my swingspeed, if I can hear it, it's a bonus and shows I actually connected well.
Edit: I had a Nike Sasquatch for probably two weeks years ago. I dumped it mostly as the loft was too high but the sound was hideous. Otherwise, I don't think I really cared about one model or the other.

Last edited:
Callaway mavrik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Taylor Made Burner HT and the Callaway Rouge sounded really good to me. The XR16 sounded pretty good as well.

Hogan GS53 is the best sounding driver in a long time!

From that list I would go
Mavrik
Cobra F9
Ping G400

Every single Cobra driver since AmpCell

I'm with the Cobra lovers on this one. I was disappointed the F9 didn't work well for me, because I love the way Cobra drivers sound.

A nice oil hardened persimmon driver. I like the thwack they would make.

I've not hit anything other than my driver so have no comparison.

Yes sir Cobra has got it when it come to sounds of their woods!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure about the F6+? Not what I'd call the best sounding, but I sure like hitting it!

I think the sound is way more important than it should be. I have an old Cleveland driver that has more of the older, metallic "ping". One of my favorite sounds of all time was the old school collegiate baseball bats. If my driver could replicate that sound....sign me up for that!

My Epic Flash really announces itself on the driving range when I hit a good shot. Having switched to e12 soft balls, it is much more muted on course.

Back