Best Swing Thought

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
What was the swing thought that brought the most success to your game this year?

Saying tempo a few times over and over mentally before I begin my takeaway has helped a lot with longer clubs. With anything inside 120 I recite the number I'm trying to hit and that has had a lot of success.

For me recently it hasn't been per say a swing thought. When I set up to the ball I make sure I have good balance points and good set up/ posture. Then all I think about is my target.

For me recently it hasn't been per say a swing thought. When I set up to the ball I make sure I have good balance points and good set up/ posture. Then all I think about is my target.

Same here. All the thinking happens behind the ball when I’m choosing my target. Once I step “inside the box” and address the ball, no more thinking. Set up, waggle, look at target again, say (often out loud) the target, and go.

In fact, when I’m ready to step inside the box, usually a song plays in my head. It helps me put a tempo to all of address, not just the swing.

Firm grip with last 3 fingers of left hand; everything else loose and relaxed.

Having as few as possible.

I just set myself, watch impact.

Prior it was about 10 thoughts, all fighting with each other.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reminding myself to swing through the ball and that it’s a golf swing not a golf hit. Hopefully that eliminates tension and any thoughts of trying to kill the ball.

Nothing

Focus on target and swing

Beat me to it. I like being on autopilot and only thinking about where I want the ball to be.

Left Cheek!

It get's me to fire my left hip to initiate the downswing. When done correctly everything just falls in line and I'll strike it good. It prevents me from sliding towards the target and the ball and making fat/thin contact, or even worse el hosel.

In fact, when I’m ready to step inside the box, usually a song plays in my head. It helps me put a tempo to all of address, not just the swing.
Same for me. I try to only think about balance/tempo/tension while on the course. If I do any thinking (wind, strategy, etc) it is before I step toward the ball. I always have one song in my head and time my swing to the tune to try and keep a consistent tempo.

"Your swing Billy, nothing more. Your swing is plenty enough."

I'm way too often guilty of trying to do too much. Trying to make up for a bogey or double with the very next swing.

Can't be done, don't wanna even try. Fight not to. So I aim to be my personal trusted caddie within my own head.

Commit to the shot .

Lately, I've been pretty blank. Previously, I was using "Light is Right" to keep my grip pressure looser. I do try to feel the club in the swing more nowadays.

I've tried a lot. The best for me currently is to just feel like I'm throwing the club to the target and letting the ball get in the way.

Then I just adjust my grip and club lie angles to work with that thought. Too weak of a grip and it goes right, but I'm also playing my woods a little short of stock (flatter "effective" lie angle) and playing my irons 2* flat. In other words, if I had everything stock I might be able to produce the same results with a more neutral grip.

Whatever gets me to relax. I just can't allow myself to get too amped up or else bad things start to happen.

SLOW DOWN, I have a tendency to get too quick, I need to relax and stay loose!

The last month or so I have really been working on hitting down on the ball. My thought lately has been smoosh that ball. It really works and smoosh is such a good description of what I am trying to do.

What was the swing thought that brought the most success to your game this year?
I have spent the year thinking about being authentic. Arnie said "swing your swing" and it makes me want to stop chasing "the" swing and focus more on what makes "my" swing work.

For me it has always been Low & Slow

Paige Spiranac for when I'm over-drawing the ball and need to push it back some, and Sharmila Nicollet when it's too much fade.

It works!

Some good ones on here, but I think for me it's been:

"Does it REALLY matter where this goes?!?"

Big picture, nope

Thanks for this post and reminding me!

Slow take away and follow thru.

Back