Best Swing Thought

i'm still pretty early on with my instructor. we've only had one full swing lesson, but so far i have enjoyed what he has me working on. of the few different thoughts i have in my head right now, the best one is "stop." as in, get to the top of the backswing, and stop. he said if he has to put a stop sign on the ground to remind me, he will! it helps me complete the backswing, and have a more in-balance transition into the downswing.

Swing thoughts? What are those? :unsure:

My best swing thought this year kept my tempo very even....

"One...and...Two".

Saying tempo a few times over and over mentally before I begin my takeaway has helped a lot with longer clubs. With anything inside 120 I recite the number I'm trying to hit and that has had a lot of success.
Excellent !

I used to play with a guy who taped a sheet of swing thoughts under the brim of his hat, facing him so he could read them as he swung, there were like 20 thoughts on the list, needless to say he was all over the place.

I certainly have a few thoughts that float around my mind as I play, complete my back swing, easy tempo, complete my finish, flat left wrist through the ball, blah, blah, blah, but I really try to empty my head before swinging and just relax, pretend I'm at the range having fun hitting targets.

For me it has always been Low & Slow
That was most impressive, to me -- how consistently deliberate your takeaway is. Trying to emulate that has helped me already.

The last couple rounds, I have focused on keeping the weight on the inside of my back foot on the backswing. I have a tendency to sway backwards when I get lazy.

I've had 2 of the better ball-striking rounds in a long time and some of my longest iron shots ever (that were not bladed!). Two rounds isn't a large enough sample size yet, but my GIR% is up, too. Would've been higher if I hadn't flown a couple greens on Sunday!

When everything is going right I usually have no swing thoughts. It seems like I can just walk up to the ball and clear my mind until I swing and the ball lands.

Now when the wheels are coming off it’s usually because I am trying to muscle the shot and my swing is too fast in the back swing. When I recognize it I go back to a phrase I use on the range “slow then go!” Reminds me to bring the club back slow then fire away. When that works I tend to migrate back to my “no thoughts” approach again.

Take Dead Aim.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Crickets... The less I think when addressing the ball, the better I do. I take my standard setup and go!

I am trying to keep the number of my swing thoughts down to a manageable 75 or so! :LOL: Seriously, I have found the problem with having too many swing thoughts is that when I hit a good shot I never know which one of those swing thoughts was the reason!

No swing thoughts. The less I think about the better. It's all muscle memory for me. I guess that's why I rarely take a practice swing. I'll mimic a short one but that's about it. It's never been a full on "take a huge divot, Superintendent hates you" type of practice swing. BTW ... if you do take a practice swing, try and just clip the top of the grass & not take huge beaver pelts. ;) This annoyed the hell out of me when I worked at the golf course. Take one huge divot right next to the ball, then take another one .... so annoying. Or take a huge divot, then your real swing is absolutely nothing like your practice swing. :ROFLMAO:

Only tempo "Archibald Cadogan, hit on the 'dug' of Cadogan"

Longer take away (don't take it away tight on the inside).

I have a couple others - like keep your wrist flat for my driver and don't rush the downswing on my irons. But the longer takeaway is one that I apply to both.

I just try to think short backswing to try keeping me from going way past parellel.

The last couple rounds, I have focused on keeping the weight on the inside of my back foot on the backswing. I have a tendency to sway backwards when I get lazy.

I've had 2 of the better ball-striking rounds in a long time and some of my longest iron shots ever (that were not bladed!). Two rounds isn't a large enough sample size yet, but my GIR% is up, too. Would've been higher if I hadn't flown a couple greens on Sunday!

Yes, keeping the weight on the inside of my back foot. I stopped doing that and things went downhill. When I remembered that swing thought, and started applying it, it helped a lot.

Stay behind the ball. It keeps me from sliding in the backswing and the downswing.

Don't sway off the ball...

What was the swing thought that brought the most success to your game this year?

Reminding myself I do in fact know what I’m doing and to relax.

This week I olayed three rounds which brought my handicap from 18.4 to 15.7 trending.

Short backswing

Wrong!!! (If you ever seen my swing, lol)

My personal swing thought lately, thought to the tempo of my swing, is “don’t f”in miss” but not the shortened version.

Back