Best thing about golf

Bryndom

2023 Grandaddy X!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 15
What do you enjoy most about this game?

I love being outdoors and this is a game that evaporates the stress of my life...

What do you enjoy?

Being out with my mates is probably the top thing. I moved to the US 8 years ago. You make aquatencies (how the hell do you spell that???) but it’s pretty hard making decent friends. I’ve done that through golf. Also, hitting that drive where everything just slots into place and you crush it down the center of the fairway, that’s an addictive feeling.

I most like that golf is player versus the course.

Being outdoors, usually in good weather. I have always liked the idea that you get out of the game what you put into it, you can't just wake up one day and be "good" at the game unless you put the effort in.

For me its definitely being outside on some beautiful piece of land and being able to focus on one shot at a time, while the rest of the world stresses float away.

I love being outdoors and this is a game that evaporates the stress of my life...

What do you enjoy?

completely agree on this. For me it’s all about enjoying the outdoors, and just feeling like everyday life is a world away. It’s like a very long competitive nature walk.

I also enjoy the challenge golf brings. I enjoy being able to compete with myself instead of against someone else.

It’s a game for a lifetime.

Constant variety. It’s never the same game twice.

I love the skill of the game, and that it equally pits yourself against both the design and nature of the course. Seeing a shot shape the way you wanted, feeling a pured strike, that beautiful click of the ball and putter head when you make a true put. Golf is truly an unforgiving and beautiful game.

I love being outside and competing against the course. I like the variety of shots that keep you thinking, as I very seldom have the same shots on a hole the next time I play. And I don't really focus on anything but golf while I'm playing.

The game of golf is a game against yourself and others all at the same time. I enjoy that can play it outside, but even more now during the cold months with the cheaper technology allowing for affordable simulator setups.

It’s definitely the friendship. I love being on the course, the conversations, the sh!t talking, the beer, the cigars, the betting and the feeling of well struck shots. Everyone I’ve met through THP I consider a good friend and I look forward to getting back to our SoCal/NorCal matches.

On a related note, I trip out on people complaining about a long round. I wish they lasted all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The challenge. It's a game you can play your whole life and never master. I love being outdoors in a beautiful environment, love the camaraderie, the fact that everything else in life gets put on the back burner for 3-4 hours - but most of all I love the challenge.

At my age, it's one of the the things I can still do, while having fun doing it.

It's a fun, out of doors, way to get some exercise. It gets me out of my recliner.

The bottom line is, that I just like smacking the heck out of golf balls.

What do you enjoy?
This is a huge thing for me. Just getting outside and getting into the rhythm of hitting then planning the next shot, then hitting it really just gets my mind back in order. The walking is great exercise as well.

Sooo many reasons for me:
The difficulty to master the game
The irrationality of the game
The friendships its afforded me
The travel
The competition against myself
The equipment and technology
The style aspects
The life time memories
I could go on for a while here...

I was thinking it might be getting outdoors, but I can get outdoors most any time so that could not be the main thing. I think it is the challenge it provides me most of all and no shot is the same as the last one.

There are just too many things to narrow it down to the one.

Success can be so fleeting that when I do succeed, it's rewarding. Putting together a series of shots to play a hole well, or enough holes to play a round well, or enough rounds to consider the season a move in the right direction.

But if improvement was the only aspect, I'd have quit a long time ago. I really enjoy those rounds when I'm just glad to be out there and nothing else matters. The drive out there, being engaged but free of frustration during the round, and the drive home with that feeling that I just spend 3 hours doing something I absolutely love. Those rounds don't happen very often but when they do that might be the one thing that is most enjoyable.

To a lesser degree...

It's an activity that doesn't require anyone else and I absolutely love the solitude. OTOH, when I'm with someone whose company I enjoy, it's even better.

Walking 18 makes me feel like I'm doing something healthy. That's always been a big part of my life.

Practicing.

BS'ing about golf on this forum or co-workers is something I enjoy.

Like most hobbies, the equipment aspect is cool as well.

I love that I’m as excited to play when I awake on a golf day as I was when I got bit by the bug as a young teen 42 years ago.

Last edited:
Getting out in nature with friends!
I love the competition both with others and with myself to improve that I get with golf.

Getting outdoors & hanging with the dudes. I also enjoy that it’s a game that any one can enjoy & play!

However what I enjoy the most are times with my bean...
2891537C-DDEE-4271-9799-DD9CEBBBC8CB.jpeg

I can shoot 100, but every once in a while 2-4 good shots come together and I get to circle the number on the scorecard.

It's exercise with a purpose, a sport you can play solo and always improve at if you want to. Also a chance to get outdoors away from distractions and with friends who share your enthusiasm.

The thing about golf is that for between 4-5 hours I've got only one thing on my mind and that is a little white dimpled ball that goes every where but where I want it too. Everything else fades into the background which is the way I like it. It a form of release and a form of torture, but I love it.

For me there is no "most," really. That is what has me so fascinated with the sport. I love being out on the course, spending time playing with friends, the challenge of hitting the ball well and playing the game well, the biomechanics of the golf swing, the technology incorporated into the equipment, and the excitement of new, shiny stuff. I love it all :D

Back