Best to adjust iron loft stronger or weaker if a shallow swinger?

Daddio

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Getting older and over the past few years and had to convert a couple irons to hybrids. I'm now at the point I should probably add another, a 5 hybrid. I'm debating whether to strengthen my current 6 iron or weaken my 5 iron to gap correctly between a new 5 hybrid and my current 7 iron. I realize adjusting iron lofts impacts turf interactions and wondered if shallow swingers like myself are better off strengthing a shorter iron or weakening a longer one? I don't take large divots, my 7i AoA is typically -1.5* to -2*, driver +4* to +6* for reference. Thanks.

Depends on how much bounce your irons have. To me it would make sense to weaken the 5-iron and gain a bit of bounce.

Getting older and over the past few years and had to convert a couple irons to hybrids. I'm now at the point I should probably add another, a 5 hybrid. I'm debating whether to strengthen my current 6 iron or weaken my 5 iron to gap correctly between a new 5 hybrid and my current 7 iron. I realize adjusting iron lofts impacts turf interactions and wondered if shallow swingers like myself are better off strengthing a shorter iron or weakening a longer one? I don't take large divots, my 7i AoA is typically -1.5* to -2*, driver +4* to +6* for reference. Thanks.
I just did this and strengthened the loft on my 6 iron, because I felt like I would have had to weaken the 5 iron too much. Now, I am gapping well from 7 to 6 and I should close the gap to the 5 hybrid. The added benefit for me is that I can also strengthen the 5 iron and still have it as an option, if I begin to struggle with the 5 hybrid.

Last edited:
Course conditions will likely dictate which option will result in the turf interaction you prefer.

If you are playing in soft conditions with tight lies then more bounce might be helpful.

In firm conditions if you are a sweeper with a neutral angle of attack adding bounce may be harmful as it could contribute to thin strikes.

But the iron’s sole shape, width and camber will probably make more of a difference to turf interaction than a small change in the bounce from bending a club weaker or stronger.

Course conditions will likely dictate which option will result in the turf interaction you prefer.

If you are playing in soft conditions with tight lies then more bounce might be helpful.

In firm conditions if you are a sweeper with a neutral angle of attack adding bounce may be harmful as it could contribute to thin strikes.

But the iron’s sole shape, width and camber will probably make more of a difference to turf interaction than a small change in the bounce from bending a club weaker or stronger.
This is really spot on and I can attest to its accuracy as somebody who only has about a -1 angle of attack with a 7 iron.

Back