Best under the radar SGI irons

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
We all know Ping. We all know Titleist. We all know Callaway. My information gathering for irons has gotten me thinking. Which brand makes some of the best clubs for beginners that people just don't talk enough about?

Mizuno seems to be a cult brand. I have the 850 irons. Probably at the top end of my skill level but the JPX EZ are probably a better fit for me and were not available in LH when I purchased them.

I recently became aware of the Srixon Z355 and have been impressed by them and the upcoming Z565.

I see people talk highly about the Wilson Staff C200.

So I ask, what brand and line doesn't get enough love and respect from people just learning the game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilson Staff C200
Srixon 565
Cobra King F6

Im not a big category of SGI vs GI, etc.
All three of these sets offer excellent forgiveness

Cobra King f6 are very good in my opinion. I have enjoyed them a lot.

Cobra is another brand of irons I've never considered. I've owned their woods in the past but have never hit a set of irons.

C200s ftw

The Cobra Fly Z irons were nice, but so far under the radar they were looking up at an ant's butt.

Wilson c200
Cobra f6

I'd say offerings by component companies like The Golfworks and Hireko. A set of irons, assembled and shipped, can be had for under 200 clams.

Adams Blue irons are legit and so under the radar you can get a new set for under $200. Ridiculous price for a 2015 release.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Are the C200s considered SGI?

Bridgestone JGR

I left those off since the OP stated he was LH.
I dont believe those are available LH.

I missed that in the OP.

He should probably just learn how to play right handed....

I wasn't necessarily asking for me specifically although I will take everyone's opinions into consideration since I'm casually looking at new irons.

But yes, I am LH and I never considered Srixon until they introduced LH models. I'm glad they decided to do so.

For me .. Mizuno JPX EZ are as easy hit hit , offer solid , consistent distance and these irons are as forgiving as any SGI put up against them ... i started playing a set 5 thru sw with XP95 .. R300 shafts and the iron head is oversized and very forgiving and the XP 95 shaft added on average 4 to 8 yards distance which i NEVER thought i could achive with a steel shaft ....... simply stated these are one of the best irons offered to the public ... period

C200 or D200
Cobra Max were kind of overshadowed but really performed well for me on a monitor

For me .. Mizuno JPX EZ are as easy hit hit , offer solid , consistent distance and these irons are as forgiving as any SGI put up against them ... i started playing a set 5 thru sw with XP95 .. R300 shafts and the iron head is oversized and very forgiving and the XP 95 shaft added on average 4 to 8 yards distance which i NEVER thought i could achive with a steel shaft ....... simply stated these are one of the best irons offered to the public ... period

I have hit the demo clubs of these multiple times recently at my local Golfsmith and I honestly can't believe how big the sweet spot is on these irons. It actually makes me believe that I'm a better iron player than I really am. I wish these had been available when I bought my 850. I see some nicely priced sets of these on eBay, I may have to snag a set.

I have hit the demo clubs of these multiple times recently at my local Golfsmith and I honestly can't believe how big the sweet spot is on these irons. It actually makes me believe that I'm a better iron player than I really am. I wish these had been available when I bought my 850. I see some nicely priced sets of these on eBay, I may have to snag a set.

Figured for sure you were all in on the srixons after the event with the way you hit them. You were grinning ear to ear.

Figured for sure you were all in on the srixons after the event with the way you hit them. You were grinning ear to ear.

Well I'm not going to jump to a rash decision. I was probably a bit hasty in saying I should pick up a cheap set of the EZ. Since fall is almost here in OH for the season to start winding down, I've got some time. I do want more of an opportunity to hit the Srixon irons as well too. I'm still waiting for the local shops here to get their demo clubs so I can try them out some more. There is definitely something appealing about having an entirely Srixon/Cleveland bag because I do want to get the Z565 3W and I have yet to hit the hybrids. All the new stuff is very impressive. I just need to figure out how to pay for it all.

Back