Wish I could help, but i am more youtube for funny stuff, i am pretty much self taught in the swing area

I agree that the drill is more difficult for those of us who need it most. Even if the drill makes a small difference in the right direction, it's better than not trying it.

I had never heard of the "Secret" training aid, but I was focusing on bending my trail wrist back and holding it as long as possible. The hands either have to be very far ahead at impact, or they have to come up abruptly to hold that position. With slo-mo I could see the flip even if it was at or after contact. I'll continue to work on it because I think improvement with this is absolutely necessary for better ballstriking.

In my uninformed opinion, maybe if the wrists are in the correct position, some of the other things necessary for good impact naturally occur as we try to hit the ball well.
I suggest trying the Secret. It forces my trail hand to remain back during the swing. When I first put it on I thought "I can't hit a ball with this thing on my hand" because at address it creates a ton of shaft lean. But once I started swinging I found my shots were traveling more on-line, with a more penetrating ball flight, and the strike felt far more solid.....as Eric states in his video. When I remove it my brain remembers the feel. I do sets of 10 on and then off. If I start to feel or see some deviation I put it back on for another 10 shots. Another way to practice is to use an impact bag to check the position.

Has anyone else tried this drill? It’s almost impossible for me. Lol.

I can see the benefits from it however.

I think it's easier if you think of the palm of the right hand covering the ball as you approach impact rather than turning down the back of the left hand.

Has anyone else tried this drill? It’s almost impossible for me. Lol.

I can see the benefits from it however.
Because he’s leaving a key aspect of it out. You gotta keep turning with the body.

Because he’s leaving a key aspect of it out. You gotta keep turning with the body.
He did talk about rotation as the "next step" in the video, but I think the drill would have been better to combine rotation into the drill.

After years of looking, this guy, Clay Ballard, at topspeedgolf, gives detail that is free. If one would opt for his $77 for a year and get all of his vids, many would be helpful.

I go to a live instructor but I have found that most instructors are not that detailed - "swing faster, swing left, club higher, use the ground, jump, get your weight to the front, open up" - that's not detail. I ask a lot of questions and ask him to "show me what you mean" and he does. Clay follows a lot of what my instructor states - so I do learn from his vids. As long as it is in line with what my instructor has said, I'm good.

I've looked at others, but no thank you.
Online golf videos are worthless unless you’re getting video Feedback from a coach. Purely entertainment value. I wouldn’t waste a dime paying for Clay’s stuff, one because I’ve seen it all in what Chuck Quinton has (it’s the same program, no differences), and two, the main point, there is no Feedback mechanism to send what you’re doing to a coach to check. Clay basically peppers people until they cave and say, okay, I’ll pay a little to see his new fix or video...I’ll fall for it. We all have! 😂

That’s why we added Feedback to our program. That’s why you’re paying $50 /mo. We tried to give players videos to watch and have them improve on their own...they did okay, but until we added Feedback, we weren’t seeing the same results we get with in person players.

Online golf videos are worthless unless you’re getting video Feedback from a coach. Purely entertainment value. I wouldn’t waste a dime paying for Clay’s stuff, one because I’ve seen it all in what Chuck Quinton has (it’s the same program, no differences), and two, the main point, there is no Feedback mechanism to send what you’re doing to a coach to check. Clay basically peppers people until they cave and say, okay, I’ll pay a little to see his new fix or video...I’ll fall for it. We all have! 😂

That’s why we added Feedback to our program. That’s why you’re paying $50 /mo. We tried to give players videos to watch and have them improve on their own...they did okay, but until we added Feedback, we weren’t seeing the same results we get with in person players.

Agreed. If someone is new, YouTube is the worst. But sometimes you can pick up a few nuggets if you know what you're doing. Most peeps do not.

I have a live instructor and some of Clay's info is compatible with what he says. I use what is useful.

Ain't my first rodeo.

I'm sure if someone does not have a live instructor, that your program would do them wonders. And I'd encourage others to talk with you and sign up. $50/mo is very reasonable. In fact, a bargain.

We all take different paths to achieve a goal. Live instruction with an instructor is great. I am beginning to send mine liveviewsports vids so I can wean off YouTube between lessons.

Last edited:
Back