Best way to cut a graphite shaft

Wrap the site where you're cutting with masking tape, mark where you're cutting on the tape. If possible, secure the end you're cutting off as well as the end you're keeping (tough to do if you're only chopping off .5") so the shaft doesn't bounce or move. From there, a chop-down wheel on dremel has always worked for me, the more speed the better.

I've gone back to just using a hack saw for smaller jobs and I'm kind of glad I did.

Takes a few seconds longer, but the mess is smaller which is always ideal.

I've gone back to just using a hack saw for smaller jobs and I'm kind of glad I did.

Takes a few seconds longer, but the mess is smaller which is always ideal.

What time of saw blade are you using?

I use a hacksaw myself. Just put some masking tape around the area and mark with a sharpie. I don't cut too often and when I do, it is typically just one shaft. So, I don't really have the need for anything more elaborate. But, I am not actually reshafting anything. If I were actually setting up a station for repeated use, I would go more elaborate. For the one shaft a year I seem to trim down, a hacksaw works just fine for me.

What time of saw blade are you using?

I'm using a dremel cut wheel these days but a PVC blade worked for me in the past. Taping the area you're going to cut is important. I also hit it with a sanding block/sponge to get the rough edges off before removing the tape.

Back