Best Way To improve Your Iron Play

With solid fundamentals in place like grip, stance and alignment, I'd take a look at your ability to strike the ball first, ground second, with the shaft leaning forward through impact. That seems to correlate very highly with great iron play. Analyzing divots for depth, uniformity and direction will allow you to improve also.

The weather was so great here in Chicago today I decided to play another 18 holes today. At the course I played today I got teamed with a gentleman who was a 5 handicapper. He also gives golf lessons as a hobby. So as the round progressed today he gave me a few pointers. First thing he told me to move the ball back in my stance a inch or two, seems I was had the ball position in the middle of my stance to much when hitting my irons. The other thing that came out was I was rotating my shoulders to early instead of after striking the ball. It seems to have helped me. I ended up shooting a 90 today, that's the lowest score I have in the last month.

Couple of winters back, I started using my indoor range practice time to just hit targets, using all my irons...even a 5 iron to 35 yards...Don't know why, probably read about it in the little red book.

What I learned...I stopped thinking about the swing and , I suppose, unconsciously just used hand/eye to hit the target. Did I fix my swing? Don't know. Just got better at hitting targets.

The other thing I believe I learned is that on the course, because of constantly changing lies (ball above, below, sidehill, downhill) the place any club head bottoms out is always changing. I have to take a couple of practice swings to make sure the bottom of the arc is not behind the ball or to far in front of it. That means, for me, the ball is not always in the same position relative to my , say, front foot.

That has really reduced my miss hits

Over the past two seasons, my hcp has reduced from 24 to 19.

Now I'm gonna work on distance, but that's another story.

Back