Best way to maintain width through the swing

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SO my swing has been working pretty well recently until the last week or so. When it falls apart it really falls apart and I struggle to find what I'm doing differently. Sometimes it is tempo related and other times I really struggle with short-arming my follow through. I feel like I do a good job creating width on my backswing but when I go through the downswing I seem to be losing extension, hitting thin and making terrible contact. Now that i've realized this it is time to pull out the tour striker ball again and work on keeping my elbows closer.

What do you do to make sure you stay extended through contact?

Something my club fitter told me...put a quarter about 18 inches behind the ball...on the backswing, ensure the club head passes over the quarter on the backswing...really helps keep my lead arm straight...reduces the tendency to come over the top

Your tendencies will be different than mine, or my wife's, and so on. Part of what you need to do is discover your own tendencies and how to correct them. As you do, your game will improve. In some cases, you'll be able to recognize what is happening the first time it happens and correct the problem with the very next swing. When that happens, it will put a smile on your face.

My wife has a tendency to pull her arms in toward her sides on the downswing causing a thin or bladed shot. I've got other buddies that tend to stand up (pulling away from the ball) on the downswing. My tendency is getting too close to the ball. I don't have a problem with the extension, but when my fault shows up I may hit a hosel rocket.

For your tendency, a good drill is scratch out a line in front of you and practice making swings where your swing first contacts the ground just beyond that line and bottoms out about 4-inches in front.

I, sadly, had a day yesterday where I could not diagnose myself. First three and last three holes were fine, but I was not striking anything well for the majority of the round. 99% of the time, when I make a mishit, I know what I did. I could not piece it together yesterday, which was disconcerting.

Bring the club back with your shoulder's not your arms.

Back