Best wedges? Ping or Vokey?

msdamailman

Reaction score
Handicap
trying to decide on wedges to go with my setup which will be g15 driver and i15 irons 4 - pw. i currently own the BV 54 and 60 but was thinking of going with Ping tour w 52 and 58. Any suggestions? Thanks!:confused2:

Are you just trying to decide between those two, or are you asking which are the best wedges. There really aren't best wedges, but many good ones that are different for different people. Last year we had our wedge shoot out and here are the results from that.

Wedge Shoot Out Results | The Hackers Paradise

I have played both of those and played the Vokeys for years. I have since switched, but they are fine wedges. I just found in reviewing clubs, far better options for my game.

wedges are personal. they're like family. i have an entire italian sized family of wedges that i have played. while i love the vokeys and the pings.....there are too many that are being excluded.

i would suggest getting to a demo and get fit with what works for your game and bag setup.

and if that doesn't work [cough]x-forged[/cough]....alll the way.

Wedges...are...finnicky for me lol. Because of this I cannot agree more about trying all that you can, if you are focused on just PING and Vokey, you're forgettign about alot of sweet sticks.

I'm going to return to my love of the Vokey 58.12* as a SW with a great deal I got (I sold my old one, was my favorite wedge too!) but just found the bliss that is the CG14 54.09*(thanks THP review...more ho'ing!).

I have a problem.

i will say the Nike SVtour wedge had a real nice soft feel for me when I tried out wedges. You can find them for about 60 bucks new online now. I wouldn't overlook those. I also have a cg12 which is nice. Ping tour-w 52 which has a harsher feel than the above mentioned.

I prefer Clevelands wedges actually.

If you like what you've got I see no reason to change... I personally own the Ping Tour W's and I really like them. But wedges are very personal and it depends on what you are looking to get out of them, consistency, distance, spin...? I would suggest trying out several different ones and see what you like...

I'm throwing Mizzy wedges into the mix here.....love how they feel

That is like asking Ford or Chevy. There will be a lot of opinions, but none more correct than the other, and none will be incorrect...

i will agree with everybody in saying that you need to try everything. i currently play taylormade z wedges and find them to work well for me. i am possibly switching to vokeys though just because i used to play them and prefer the look of his gap/sand wedge more and i cannot bear to have two different brand wedges haha. with that being said, i will advise you going with either a 54 58 or 54 60 combo, because at least in my case i hit my 52 only 5 yards shorter than my pw and can hit it the same distance as my pitching wedge if i swing hard. if you are really looking for perfect loft gaps then bending a 54 to 53 and a 60 to 59 would be the perfect answer, but most people dont go that far

VR wedges are wicked.
so are the Srixon WG504(?)

I dont get all the hype about the vokeys. Ive used them, and theyre great wedges, but I dont understand the hype

VR wedges are wicked.
so are the Srixon WG504(?)

I dont get all the hype about the vokeys. Ive used them, and theyre great wedges, but I dont understand the hype

+1 on the hype.

Like others, wedges are a finicky topic. It's what feels right to you.

I have both the Vokey and Ping Tour wedges in 60*. While I was at the store, I tried both. I realllllllly liked the feel of the Ping but bought the Vokey because of reputation. I gamed the Vokey for a bit and it is a nice club, but I couldn't get that feel of the Ping off my mind. I went back and bought the Ping.

The Vokey is nice, but I too do not understand what the hype is all about.

I'm partial to the Vokeys. I've tried others and Clevelands are a super close 2nd. I will admit, there are no Ping products that do anything for me and I have a friend that works there and can get me good deals.

With the Vokeys, they are so versatile for me. High, low, check and stop or run Out. They do what you tell them. It just depends "how good you tell them."

Also Chevy!

A friend of mine who is being sponsored by Titleist switched to Volkey (52, 56 and 60) set.
I tried them and still prefer Cleveland CG15.
I found Volkey, though very good, feel is somewhat muted compared soft but lively feel of CG15

I finally decided to replace my beloved Cleveland 588. It was beat and worn out. I had heard great talk about the Ping wedges and their soft feel so I went looking to try those first. They felt great but they felt very light and I tend to like a more head heavy wedge. It came down to the Mizuno, Cleveland GG-15 and the Callaway Tour forged. I'm a big Cleveland fan having owned the 588 and several CG 14s. The CG 15 was no different, excellent wedge and great look and feel. The Mizuno also felt nice but they didn't have the bounce/loft combo I wanted. I would have never considered the Callaways except I won one last fall and it has quickly made it into my bag. In the end I picked the Callaway. A few reason why. I could bend it to 53, nice heavy head feeling and I really like the one I currently have in a different loft. If I don't bond with it I will not hesitate to grab a CG 15.

On a side not last week I grabbed a callaway JAWS from the club house demo bag. I took my shag bag out and hit about 25 shots at the practice flag. After picking up my balls I noticed over half were chewed up and I was only swinging 1/2 to 3/4 shots. The grooves on that wedge were wicked sharp. Be prepared to replace a lot of balls with that one.

Back