Big Break - Indian Wells [Spoilers]

I think David showed he was a little more battle tested last night. Like he said early in the episode, "I thought I'd be more nervous than I was." Kent is probably the better golfer, but David played well throughout the series.

Kent blew it with those putts, if that were Mickelson or someone missing all those putts to lose a match people would be slaughtering him! David is a nerdy little dude who will struggle his ass off when he place the Zurich. Poor little dude....he did win $70k though, that's sweet.

David is an excellent golfer but he better work out his putting woes ASAP. Thats the difference between these scratch guys and true touring pros...they never woulda missed any of those putts inside 10 feet, nevermind 7 or 8 of them between the two.

So, Kent pretty much coasted through the show, and last night was his first real challenge, and he buckled. Surprised, since he has obviously dealt with pressure in US Open qualifiers before. I think maybe he coasted a little too much before putting his game face on.

The putting was pretty atrocious in that final episode.

Agreed, it was like watching Rbelbin vs One-T in a putting match, someone will make one eventually but it will take a while.

I read somewhere that David has moved to the Orlando area and has been practicing at Grand Cypress, I was hoping someone on here might have more details about that.

Pro's make about roughly 95% of their putts inside 5 feet and over 60% of their putts 5-10 feet. You can see that both of these guys need to improve in that area to ever have a shot on the PGA tour. Other than that I was happy to see David win as Kent just annoys me. This season was pretty weird all together with the money thing and Kent along with Will both coasted too much in the competition to ever get the proper tests to be ready for elimination. I thought it was a good season overall and a few of those guys had pretty good all around games.

I'll say it again, I wish the season went more like the last two weeks went, more actual golf and not a skills challenge. It's just more entertaining in my book.
I agree. It's more fun to watch them actually play some golf. They don't have the airtime to do 9 holes or anything, but if they eliminated half of the 12 commercial breaks, they could have some 3 or 4 hole competitions.

Hated that they didn't just have a matchplay event for the final like in series past. Though congrats to David, the guy needed the money to help out his mom and we all know we love out moms.

With the entire season being basically a chip and putt contest, you figure that those guys would have been dropping those putts.

I agree. It's more fun to watch them actually play some golf. They don't have the airtime to do 9 holes or anything, but if they eliminated half of the 12 commercial breaks, they could have some 3 or 4 hole competitions.

The last two episodes were the best in the season, both had actual golf being played rather than a short game competition. Eliminate some commercial breaks, have some sort of a scramble competition thrown in, and it would be more exciting.

However, I will watch regardless. One of the better finales I have seen on Big Break. Hoping this is just a start for David, and really hope Shank is able to either come back in a future Big Break, or be successful in his career.

I loved the actual golfing in the final round, but Kent really blew it.. I was rooting for David, but I expected him to have to beat Kent, not just hit greens and two putt to victory..

I can't wait for Ireland. that's going to be awesome.

Kent really choked with the flatstick. It was there for the taking and he gave it away. That will haunt him forever.

Tap tap taparoo

I loved the actual golfing in the final round, but Kent really blew it.. I was rooting for David, but I expected him to have to beat Kent, not just hit greens and two putt to victory..

I can't wait for Ireland. that's going to be awesome.

I agree, was nice to actually see more than 3 holes being played

David had to go through more trials and tribulations over the course of the show. He was ready for a fight were Kent just wasn't ready for that kind of test.

Kent really choked with the flatstick. It was there for the taking and he gave it away. That will haunt him forever.

I think they both blew it with their putters... Like some have said, the key difference between scratch players and pros is finishing, and neither really threatened the cup.

I think they both blew it with their putters... Like some have said, the key difference between scratch players and pros is finishing, and neither really threatened the cup.

They both were terrible with the putter. But Kent choked under the pressure off the tee also.

Tap tap taparoo

I was very happy that David won. I've played 5-6 rounds with him in the past as he is from the same area as me, and we share some mutual friends. What you saw on the show was exactly how he is in person. Extremely grateful for every opportunity he is given. This win couldn't have happened to a more deserving person in my (slightly biased) opinion.

I'll never forget, the first time I played with him, we played a relatively tough course with a mutual friend, he shot 65 that day, but I shot one of my best rounds to that date because he was taking the time to help me where he could. That was amazing to me that someone with the talent he has, was shooting an incredible round that I thought he'd be 100% focused on, but he was more worried about Jeff and I scoring well with him.

Congrats to him again and I hope he can at least make the cut in the Zurich.

I read somewhere that David has moved to the Orlando area and has been practicing at Grand Cypress, I was hoping someone on here might have more details about that.

I don't know about the Grand Cypress thing but it doesn't surprise me if he's here. Come to think of it, I should've known that he went far in that show when I saw him and his girlfriend here at the local GG. Should've gotten a signed ball or something.

I think the more battle tested competitor won, plain and simple. He knew the shots he had to hit under the circumstances and he executed better than Kent. I agree though that the putting was not tour caliber and I hope David can improve on that in the year before the Zurich Classic.

I was very happy that David won. I've played 5-6 rounds with him in the past as he is from the same area as me, and we share some mutual friends. What you saw on the show was exactly how he is in person. Extremely grateful for every opportunity he is given. This win couldn't have happened to a more deserving person in my (slightly biased) opinion.

I'll never forget, the first time I played with him, we played a relatively tough course with a mutual friend, he shot 65 that day, but I shot one of my best rounds to that date because he was taking the time to help me where he could. That was amazing to me that someone with the talent he has, was shooting an incredible round that I thought he'd be 100% focused on, but he was more worried about Jeff and I scoring well with him.

Cool story. Tells you a lot about him as a person.

I don't know about the Grand Cypress thing but it doesn't surprise me if he's here. Come to think of it, I should've known that he went far in that show when I saw him and his girlfriend here at the local GG. Should've gotten a signed ball or something.

I think the more battle tested competitor won, plain and simple. He knew the shots he had to hit under the circumstances and he executed better than Kent. I agree though that the putting was not tour caliber and I hope David can improve on that in the year before the Zurich Classic.
Was she hot?

In a word, no. And he cut all his hair. And I'm so glad to say this... he's shorter than me.

He was dwarfed by most of the other contestants on that show. I think he even referred to himself as "the little guy" a time or two.

That is a great story! It is very cool to meet people like this that then go on to do things like the Big Break. Very cool man.

Was she hot?

Saw that and got my hopes up too!

In a word, no.

And then let down.

Back