Billy Horschel wants Arm Lock banned...

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Billy Ho in the news again, this time putting it out there he thinks arm lock putters should be banned, and that he would even let them bring back belly putters if they would remove arm lock.

Thoughts?

I see the argument. I believe rules state the putter shouldn’t be anchored to your body and arm lock does anchor is. Correct me if I’m wrong. I don’t really see how it’s much of an advantage though

Slippery slope. I don't see them every doing it.

Imagine how good billy ho would be if he spent less time chasing microphones to drop hit take comments into and spent more time rolling putts on the practice green.

I find him to be the absolute most annoying of your pros.. slams and throws more clubs than Rahm and Garcia combined..

regarding his thoughts. The belly putter should have never been deemed none conforming to begin with..

I was trying to fault Will Z for armlocking and in the End I like the guy too much. It looks uncomfy and awkward as hell, but I don’t think it needs to be banned.

Maybe ban Horschel instead? 😇

Calm down there Billy. If it was that great, a lot more people would do it, and win.

Poor Billy! 🙄

• Staff
I mean, I’d honestly like to see them banned as well, but also keep long putters banned. That, or take the gloves off and allow them all.

Calm down there Billy. If it was that great, a lot more people would do it, and win.
I guess this is my thought. If you think it's an advantage why not just join the group using it until it's banned?

I guess this is my thought. If you think it's an advantage why not just join the group using it until it's banned?
I’m guessing we would hear the good ole “traditionalist” argument :ROFLMAO:

These guys are the best in the world, can do superhuman things us mere mortals can only dream about with a golf club & ball & yet they are always complaining about something.
I'll take the Bill Hicks Olympics view, no restrictions on anything (equipment, performance enhancing drugs) & let's see what they can do

Well bless his sweet little heart.

Also are we in favor of making golf fun and easy or not? I don't get why putter technology has to be banned but we can make drivers that pros can hit a bazillion miles down the fairway.

I saw a video on social media of a disabled golfer ripping shots by posting the club against their lead side torso/armpit and swinging with their good trail arm.

I thought it was a great example of reasons why body locking should be allowed.

Billy Ho can go pound sand. I am less of a fan.

Why can’t the solution just be regulating the length of the putter shaft, just like with drivers? Then use it however you want, locked, anchored, whatever. And if you want to use a belly putter? No problem, just use your driver or three wood to putt and anchor it to your belly.

Tell Billy Ho they should ban juvenile temper tantrums on the golf course first. He's just another borderline irrelevant guy trying to stay relevant with hot takes. He must be butthurt because somebody is playing better than him and using an armlock putter.

I'm a 'no' because I don't think they ever should have banned anchored putters in the first place, I think the revision of wedge groove rules was stupid and useless, and the whole "rolling it back" distance debate is a clown show.

Last edited:
I mean, I’d honestly like to see them banned as well, but also keep long putters banned. That, or take the gloves off and allow them all.
Yes! Allow them all!

Doesn't bother me either way. I'd armlock a driver if I thought it helped me hit it better. Otherwise, I'm not going to blast the guy because he has an opinion.

I'm all for equal enforcement of the rules around anchoring and stopping those that claim to not be anchoring but in reality are. They seemed to go out of their way in the anchoring ruling to say the armlock is acceptable. Maybe there was some lobbying there from some influential people who do it.

Not sure his traditional putting style is what prevents him from shooting lower scores than those with forearm anchors. Although he must believe that is the case.

Not sure his traditional putting style is what prevents him from shooting lower scores than those with forearm anchors. Although he must believe that is the case.
Then he should take advantage of the rules and use a forearm anchored putter, not wee-wee about others doing it. :LOL:

Then he should take advantage of the rules and use a forearm anchored putter, not wee-wee about others doing it. :LOL:

I would agree. But some whine because they know if they do change they will still be irrelevant.

Might as well drag down those out performing them:ROFLMAO:

Billy doesn't understand the "flail" concept as it relates to putting. A flail has a handle, tongs (two leather straps) and a swipple with lead at the bottom. The swipple is swung by the handle with the tongs acting as a hinge. Relate this to the golf swing /putting and the handle becomes the body from the pelvis to the elbows, the tongs are the forearms and wrists, and the hands and club are the swipple.
This concept was published during the 1920's by George William Beldam in his publications "The Disclosure of the Art of the World's Champion Golfers"( by means of the Ultra Rapid Camera). Beldam covered all swings from driver to putting in 11 booklets in explaining his theory.
The issue here is that the wrists include both forearms and hands, however the hands also form part of the club.

Last edited:
It really doesn't matter to me what the governing bodies of the tours decide to do, and I don't really care how anyone uses their putters. Either ban anchoring of any kind or let everyone putt how they want.

Back