Billy Horschel wants Arm Lock banned...

The argument heats up? These guys sure know how to complain.

SpIrIt Of ThE gAmE

Any/all anchoring bans are dumb.

Not only are they dumb, banning side saddle, croquet, or any other type of stroke is dumb too. The objective is to put the ball in the hole. If you want to shoot pool with the end of your grip Bob Hope style then go for it.

The argument heats up? These guys sure know how to complain.

OMFGod!! His statement about it going against the rules about swinging the club is bull! I can see the ban on anchoring because the top of the club does not swing but what, the whole club doesn't move if you armlock? 🙄

Think all the long putters should be banned. Then put an asterisk beside every win with one. Was watching the seniors this weekend and you'll never convince me that Langer is not anchoring his putter. Learning how to putt is as much a part of the game as hitting a driver.

How about to make it fair for everyone since that’s the day and time we live in. When players get to the tournament they are assigned a set of clubs they are to play. One week SGI irons with senior flex shafts. Then 30 year old persimmon woods. Everyone has same equipment then no one can claim an advantage.

They need to play the game. If Billy and Brad think someone has an unfair advantage then adopt their style and see if helps.

This! I don't see how the shaft being anchored is any different than in the belly or the sternum.

If you allow these allow long & belly putters. But Billy whining isn't a surprise. He doesn't close his mouth....ever.

I mean, I’d honestly like to see them banned as well, but also keep long putters banned. That, or take the gloves off and allow them all.

Very much agree! Anchoring is anchoring. Belly, sternum or forearm!

While I'm fixing things... no alignment lines on balls and you get a drop out of a fairway divot. :drinks:

So what about players fit into 37”, and yes it happens.

I'm just under 6' and currently playing a 38.5" putter. I've got a couple of tall buddies that play 37"-38" putters.

It's not like only a few players can use the arm lock method. It's available to everyone...so the playing field with regards to the arm lock method is level.

It's not like only a few players can use the arm lock method. It's available to everyone...so the playing field with regards to the arm lock method is level.
They sure can, and it’s still as much cheating as a belly putter was.

IMO, arm-lock putters are only anchored if you use your trail hand to hold both the grip and your lead forearm, so that the grip cannot come off your forearm. Otherwise it is still up to you to control your hands and wrists during the stroke to keep the grip against your forearm. The grip is not anchored because it can still move away from your forearm if you don't make a proper stroke.

IMO, arm-lock putters are only anchored if you use your trail hand to hold both the grip and your lead forearm, so that the grip cannot come off your forearm. Otherwise it is still up to you to control your hands and wrists during the stroke to keep the grip against your forearm. The grip is not anchored because it can still move away from your forearm if you don't make a proper stroke.
Bingo. The end of the grip isn't actually anchored anywhere and has to sit below the elbow. There is not a fulcrum with armlock like there is with actual anchored putters.

The anchoring ban is still dumb.

Back