Danimal

AKA "Dee-Animal"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
~10
Is anyone else an avid bird watcher? I am fortunate enough to live in an area with a diverse array of birds and I am always trying to identify birds that I see. I have recently been able to ID a Mississippi Kite family that live in my neighborhood. I thought they were falcons for a while but finally figured it out Saturday.

It's been a lifelong hobby for me and keeps you more in tune with your surroundings. Just saw a yellow bellied sapsucker yesterday, a bird I first saw when I was about 11 years old.

I enjoy birding in a natural history sense. I am not good at it and only really know the common birds. When I see new birds I do like to try to ID and learn a little. I have friends who are amazing birders. A couple of them can ID many birds by song. The trail system behind my house is a great birding area, and we see bird watching people and groups there all the time. I could see specifically investing more time in birding. Very enjoyable.

Spotted a Peregrine Falcon on a walk this morning. B60F35F9-817B-46ED-911D-778839FD8E59.jpeg

not necessarily a dedicated bird watcher but i do some bird photography...went out with the local audubon (sp?) chapter a couple of times to find cool bird spots.

Peregrine Falcon

8076E0D4-ABDB-4034-B0D2-181C32AB3F18_1_201_a.jpeg

I've been birding a long time. My mom got me into it and it was a great way to spend time with her.

I'm a study guy too, so I can identify probably 95% of the birds I see on sight. :oops:

I've been fortunate to live on both coasts and spend a lot of time in each of the varied habitats.

I only recently started trying to take pictures. Not easy...

I’m not a dedicated bird watcher but I spend a lot of time in the outdoors and I like to know about all the wildlife I encounter, birds especially. Songbirds are often difficult to observe. Large birds are MUCH easier to see and photograph. These are photos I took while on fishing trips.

This is a sandhill crane
IMG_0872.JPG

A loon in it's winter plumage
OEZYE2224.JPG

A pair of bald eagles.
Eagles.JPG

I enjoy birding. We’re lucky up here to live in the migratory path of many species so it’s fun to see who shows up and when.

I like to use the Merlin Bird ID app for those I’m not positive identifying.

I enjoy birding. We’re lucky up here to live in the migratory path of many species so it’s fun to see who shows up and when.

I live in a migratory path through the Midwest. It is a very active time at the moment. The Ospreys are usually moving through this month and the Bald Eagles really start congregating by the end of the year.

I am going to check out that app. Thanks for the info.

I am going to check out that app. Thanks for the info.
Very useful, in my opinion! And they regularly update with new birds, photos, and calls. And you can download “bird packs” based on where you’re going to be.

I was an avid bird photographer a number of years ago. Still find it enjoyable, but need to get the rig out and dust it off (or maybe treat myself to a new system :ROFLMAO:).
Here are a few samples from my library:
Elegant Trogan
trogon_1585_3.jpg

Blue-footed Booby
booby_3537.jpg

Roadrunner
roadrunner_bug_from_jpg_ver4.jpg

Shrike
shrike_5689.jpg

Cardinal
cardinal_3962.jpg

I was an avid bird photographer a number of years ago. Still find it enjoyable, but need to get the rig out and dust it off (or maybe treat myself to a new system :ROFLMAO:).
Here are a few samples from my library:
Elegant Trogan
View attachment 9027330

Blue-footed Booby
View attachment 9027331

Roadrunner
View attachment 9027332

Shrike
View attachment 9027333

Cardinal
View attachment 9027334
my favorite Arizona bird is the Harris Hawk. They hunt in groups. Pretty cool. I love the Roadrunners too!

my favorite Arizona bird is the Harris Hawk. They hunt in groups. Pretty cool. I love the Roadrunners too!
Ask and you shall receive!
Harris Hawk
hawk_perch_crop.jpg

and a bonus one...
Great Horned Owl
GHO_8034.jpg

Like to keep these guys around the bird feeder ... been told they mate for life ..

.1631541961976.png

Never really thought about it until we moved in Costa Rica, then it became one of my favorite things to do!

I spotted my first migrating Osprey today. I couldn’t get a picture but it was a positive ID.

I'm not a dedicated birder, but I hunt, fish, and gather mushrooms and other wild edibles, so I'm outdoors quite a bit, and keep my eyes and ears open. Sitting at dawn in my hunting & fishing club, the sheer amount of bird song is just amazing! One morning, with my back against a tree listening for a gobbler, in a thicket to my left I hear a sound that's exactly like a certain cell phone ring tone! I thought great! There's a guy in here with his damn cellphone on! I heard it again a few minutes later and wondered why the guy hadn't turned his phone. The third time I heard, from the exact same place, I realized that it was a bird call! Amazing! 3 or 4 years ago, I spotted my very first Baltimore Oriole at the club. Some of the more unique ones I've seen are Northern Mockingbord, Meadowlark, and Cedar Waxwing.

It’s a lot of fun. My wife is really into it and I’ve picked up a decent ability to ID many local birds. I do get encouraged to take snaps of interesting golf course birds and send to her for extra research

Not an avid bird watcher but I will bring my binoculars when I walk in a nearby nature preserve. And I do check out the different birds in the neighborhood.

I'm not a bird fan. Don't @ me. I have my reasons. :)As long as they stay outside and do their thing, I'm cool with that.

Part of my job is being able to identify species of birds. Still crap at it.

Part of my job is being able to identify species of birds. Still crap at it.
What are the most frequent bird strikes at the airfield?

Back