Bitter cold Temps in Texas

Tough to see all these people without power for prolonged periods of time while buildings in downtown Dallas, Houston, and Austin stay lit up like Christmas trees most of the night.

I know contractor crews are heading down there now by the 1,000's, so hopefully you will all see some assistance very, very soon. Praying for no more weather related outages, so crews can work safely and quickly to get the power back on for you all.

Bummer that it is staying very cold tonight for most of the south that doesn't need any more of these tempertures. I was out running errands today and sadly 7* felt warm after we've been below zero for 6 days.

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 1.54.49 PM.png

One more really cold night. Gulf warm air going to hit the polar front so one more round of freezing rain for this event....

Got a little power today so thawed a bit; hopefully they will truly rotate and not just leave us off now

Running out of food , I went driving in a rear wheel drive car on ice and snow near Lewisville - not too bad, some streets had clear lanes, slippery in places. Used the 6 Spd stick, which slipped a bit in first and quickly got it in second. Don't go to Whole Foods during a snowmeggadon - meat, eggs, dairy, prepared foods ... Gone. Their trucks did not arrive to restock. Other stores like Sprouts closed at 3:30!

But Wal-Mart ... is ... open.

Crazy to see reports of people without power, hoping energy companies can get those fixed asap.. as the northeast prepares for another storm Thursday I can only imagine resoiurces and workers will be spread very thin everywhere

We had a conversation about this yesterday at Tmobile. Temps of zero... i thought, in all areas of Texas? Has that ever happened before? I've never been there.

We’ll have it figured out by next years winter blast I’m sure.

View attachment 8993811
I saw one of this that said a helicopter power by fossil fuel sprays a chemical made from fossil fuel onto a wind turbine made using fossil fuel.

We had a conversation about this yesterday at Tmobile. Temps of zero... i thought, in all areas of Texas? Has that ever happened before? I've never been there.
4th time in DFW ever I think I heard right. Some surrounding areas were -6.

And the weather channel posted on Twitter back in January that they expected above normal temps for this area in February. 😂😂

We do suck with cold.

but this is a bit different, a once in a generation cold spell is going to kill quite a few people. I don't think a scarf is the answer.

Right? They’re expecting hundreds dead in the state. I know here in SC we do not have furnaces so thank God for my fireplace if something like this happened

Right? They’re expecting hundreds dead in the state. I know here in SC we do not have furnaces so thank God for my fireplace if something like this happened
Yeah and a lot of houses here have tiny little fire places. That’s my dads complaint. They have a big nice fire place but the insert is very shallow.

Yeah and a lot of houses here have tiny little fire places. That’s my dads complaint. They have a big nice fire place but the insert is very shallow.

Governor gonna have some ‘splaining to do in the coming weeks.

Wasn't just the wind turbines... Complete FUBAR. I heard instruments/gauges froze up, throwing traditional sources offline.

"Analysts have begun to identify key factors behind the grid failures in Texas. Record-breaking cold weather spurred residents to crank up their electric heaters and pushed power demand beyond the worst-case scenarios that grid operators had planned for. At the same time, a large fraction of the state’s gas-fired power plants were knocked offline amid icy conditions, with some plants suffering fuel shortages as natural gas demand spiked. Many of Texas’ wind turbines also froze and stopped working."

Engineer: Where the hell did I put the WD-40?

I feel for everyone in the south not used to this, really I do. I live in the north(Wisconsin), so I know cold. Weeks, in fridged below zero for us some years. Losing power, water pipes bursting, having zero way to keep your family warm and fed in those situations are not good. Just know that it WILL get better!!! Prayers for everyone to stay safe!

Governor gonna have some ‘splaining to do in the coming weeks.
Not like it’s his fault though. A lot has to do with cities like Austin taking old coal or natural gas power plants offline to “go green”. I heard on the local radio station today that in the last few years they have decommissioned 2 and are in the process of another.

How long and how much money would it cost though? This has been a freak storm with record lows and for a much longer time than I can ever remember. Usually a storm will come through and a day or two later it’s back to the 60’s or above.

Not like it’s his fault though. A lot has to do with cities like Austin taking old coal or natural gas power plants offline to “go green”. I heard on the local radio station today that in the last few years they have decommissioned 2 and are in the process of another.
It’s not (we hope) but he still has to get to the bottom of things. It’s his job to.

Starting to get political here ... both traditional sources and green sources failed ... read my lips, it was human error.

How long and how much money would it cost though? This has been a freak storm with record lows and for a much longer time than I can ever remember. Usually a storm will come through and a day or two later it’s back to the 60’s or above.
So what’s the low temp that’s not gonna cause this again? We continue to build more and more homes in the great state. How will that affect it next time? Who knew Texas was on its own power grid till now?

So what’s the low temp that’s not gonna cause this again? We continue to build more and more homes in the great state. How will that affect it next time? Who knew Texas was on its own power grid till now?

I did because a high school mate of mine helped organize ERCOT ... o_O

It’s not (we hope) but he still has to get to the bottom of things. It’s his job to.
Agreed on that. From what I’ve heard on the Tech forums the big thing has been the lack of coal powered plants that can keep operating.

Back