BlackBerry or Android?

thedue

Another Day in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
Time for me to upgrade. I pay for both current phones, Liz has my old Razor and I have an older 8330 BB. Unlimited is costing me $150 a month, which sounds way high to me. My BB has the Altell label.

The new Android incredible looks really cool, I'm just worried that it will have the same problems others have had with e-mail. The guy at the store say's I can set it to get my e-mail every 15 minutes, but not sure he's correct. The new touch BB might be nice, just not sure there's enough bells and whistles for the price difference.

Anyone have these phones and depend on e-mail like I do? Messenger might be a loss too, but I could do it.

I used the Droid and the BB and I went right back to the Blackberry. The Droid is a great phone. Fun, wonderful apps, and more. But nothing, and I repeat NOTHING handles email like a BB and if you are an email power user, nothing can replace it.

I used the Droid and the BB and I went right back to the Blackberry. The Droid is a great phone. Fun, wonderful apps, and more. But nothing, and I repeat NOTHING handles email like a BB and if you are an email power user, nothing can replace it.

Darn, I was afraid you would say that, lol.

Unless your email is a gmail account, emails get dumped to your phone periodically with the Droid. Like JB said, BB is the email powerhouse. I use my Droid more for the internet and applications so it works well for my lifestyle.

I have a android and have never had a BB. I love my phone and get all my email like dirt said thru gmail. that said I have heard many times on here and other forums that BB is better for email.

Duey,
I also missed BB Messenger WAY too much.

Sounds like I'll just upgrade back to the Curve. It's only like $29 to upgrade to the new Curve and $160 or something after rebate for the Storm2, just not sure I want to spend that much after raising my plan $20 a month for Liz to get internet.

Does that sound high to anyone? $150 a month for my BB and a Razor. The razor has no internet.

Duey,

Dog gone it! {in my best Gray voice, haha} I bet you are right!

My wife and I pay $90 a month combined for just our unlimited phone service on T-Mobile. If I were to get a Smart Phone, it's 30 bucks for the data plan. I assume it's unlimited. But I'm not getting that.

My wife and I pay $90 a month combined for just our unlimited phone service on T-Mobile. If I were to get a Smart Phone, it's 30 bucks for the data plan. I assume it's unlimited. But I'm not getting that.

That may be about right then. Unlimited minutes, Nation wide coverage, unlimited texting, guess it all adds up.

I like the iphone? But if thats not what you want then Id go bb. I heard it champs on emails

Duey,

BBM is the best, hands down. I always stuck with Windows mobile phones but I am a BB man for life.

BBM is the best, hands down. I always stuck with Windows mobile phones but I am a BB man for life.

Besides the email disasters from other phones (compared to BB), BBM is just a must have. People that have not used BBs never understand it. Unlimited characters, sending photos and videos instantly, and everything else.

I really like my BB, just keep hearing about all these app's that the Iphones have and thought the Android might give me some of that. Not real crazy about staying with the Curve, just ready for a change, so may go Storm2. I'm guessing it still has Messenger.

I really like my BB, just keep hearing about all these app's that the Iphones have and thought the Android might give me some of that. Not real crazy about staying with the Curve, just ready for a change, so may go Storm2. I'm guessing it still has Messenger.

No question about it. I loved the app side of the IPhone and the Droid. But they do have some of that for BB's. Not at the same level though.

I had a storm and actually liked it. I went to the droid and just love the android platform. I forward my email accounts to my gmail account and get them instantly. I am not a power email user though. Everything is better on the droid except email handling. It works fine for me but I tell people who ask that if they really rely on email to stick with blackberry.

I had a storm and actually liked it. I went to the droid and just love the android platform. I forward my email accounts to my gmail account and get them instantly. I am not a power email user though. Everything is better on the droid except email handling. It works fine for me but I tell people who ask that if they really rely on email to stick with blackberry.

Thanks mtram. Some days I get upwards of 40 e-mails on one account through the heart of the day, but most don't need answered right away. The other account is a personal and I'm not too worried about that one. Any more it's the instant texting that's important. I'm slowely getting all my employees to text me rather than e-mail, lol. However, all my partners and several employees have gone to BB's, so we use Messenger a lot.

Sounds like I'll just upgrade back to the Curve. It's only like $29 to upgrade to the new Curve and $160 or something after rebate for the Storm2, just not sure I want to spend that much after raising my plan $20 a month for Liz to get internet.

Does that sound high to anyone? $150 a month for my BB and a Razor. The razor has no internet.

If you're a former Alltel customer, I wouldn't upgrade in-store. Upgrade through your account on vzw.com. Write down the phones you're interested in and "play with them" in the store to see which one you like the best. I just upgraded to the Curve 2 (8530) about a month ago and it was free instead of the 29.99 in-store price with free overnight shipping. I was able to keep my cheaper Alltel voice plan (750 minutes + 5 My Circle numbers for 49.99), but my Alltel $20 a month unlimited text and data plan wasn't compatible with a Verizon phone, so I had to get one of Verizon's data plans.

i have the HTC desire and get my work exchange e-mail on my phone no probs, also syncs my work calander and contacts.
i also have my gmail and hotmail accounts set up with no problems although its a push service and not truly sync for these.
I use Ebuddy or palringo for messenger which allows multiple sign ins for different accounts (i have a work and personal messenger account so this works well for me)
ive had lots of windows phones, iphone for a while and now onto android which IMO is the best of the bunch so far. BB is probably the only phone i havent tried, might need to give one a go :)

i have the HTC desire and get my work exchange e-mail on my phone no probs, also syncs my work calander and contacts.
i also have my gmail and hotmail accounts set up with no problems although its a push service and not truly sync for these.
I use Ebuddy or palringo for messenger which allows multiple sign ins for different accounts (i have a work and personal messenger account so this works well for me)
ive had lots of windows phones, iphone for a while and now onto android which IMO is the best of the bunch so far. BB is probably the only phone i havent tried, might need to give one a go :)

No question that the Droid does email. In fact it did it just fine. But it is not a true push service unless you are using Gmail and that is the problem for many. While there are forwarded things you can do to have different emails run through Gmail to make it easier, those are not very option friendly (the Gmail mail checking is the worst I have ever seen) and leave heavy email users behind.

BB Messenger is something that would be great if they opened up to other phones via software, but I am sure they never will. Once you have it, and use pin messaging, it is hard to go back to character restricted things like SMS, etc..

I guess there is still a reason that BB has the largest marketshare in the biz side of things (by a huge margin). When it comes to email, they are still king.

No question if email is what is most important to you then blackberry is the best. If you want to be entertained, then the iPhone and Android is catching up quick with some real nice phones. You also have to consider the area you live in and find the carrier that serves you best.

Good stuff guy's, lots of great info. I'm pretty sure I will go the Storm2 direction and as Ken said I'll buy it through my account. The nice thing is that with the savings maybe I can get some nice golf toys, lol.

Good stuff guy's, lots of great info. I'm pretty sure I will go the Storm2 direction and as Ken said I'll buy it through my account. The nice thing is that with the savings maybe I can get some nice golf toys, lol.

Duey,
I thought you were a power email user? (50-100 a day). If that is the case, make SURE you try out the touchscreen keyboard.

All I have to say about that is like JB said, try the touchscreen and terrible battery life. I used BBM alot and it kills the battery on the storm 2 which sucks to start with. Had the storm 2 before my Droid and it couldnt make it through half a day before needing a recharge.

Duey,
I thought you were a power email user? (50-100 a day). If that is the case, make SURE you try out the touchscreen keyboard.

Just guessing I'd say I am a little under the clssification of a power e-mail user. Between the two accounts I use, I may get 75 e-mails a day, but only about half of that has to be answered. The other half is made up of daily reports and forms to fill out once back at the office. I did play around some with the touchscreen keyboard and you are right about it being very different. I was worried about being able to type as fast and accurate as needed. Some days we start firing messages, pictures and files back and forth like our hairs on fire.

The larger screen would be nice for viewing the files, but I bet the Storm would be a pain to type while driving the golf cart, lol.

Back