Blade vs CB Video...Interesting Results

I didn't watch this entire video but comparing a modern day game improvement club with all the technology to a blade from 40 years ago doesn't make much sense. If you are going to do this exercise use a contemporary blade or today's blade vs a blade from yesterday.

I think Crossfield has the ability to 'prove' what he sets out to prove. I don't have that kind ability or consistency and would see a far greater difference.

i dont know how to explain this but older wedges, some models are thinner, with smaller soles, i hit them and chip with them a whole lot better than today's wedges.

I wonder why he didn't test that blade against his Cleveland Turbo hybrid irons, that he speaks so incredibly high of.
Seems odd.

very interesting, Like to see a comparable test for a standard hacker, which is probably more where the GI irons are geared. I could see a possible outcome where his "very poor" strikes would be a good strike for a 24 HC golfer. He said he plans to do more testing across the ability spectrum so once those are correlated that would be really cool data.

I've shot my best scores using blades. I can't explain it, but it is true.

I don't see an appreciable difference between my bladed 8i-PW in my Nikes and my Srixon 565 8i-PW other than feel on missing the sweet spot with the blades...and so far, I haven't had one sting me enough to say the Nikes aren't worth playing all the time

cool, so a scratch golfer has a tight dispersion. let's do this test with a 20-30 handicapper.

and this is why I despise Crossfield. he parades his data like it's disrupting the industry and pulling back the curtain on the wizard of oz. when in reality he has (intentionally?) constructed his test to answer a question no one asked, but presents the conclusion as if it answers the question that everyone asks. here, the question is presented as "does a cavity back offer better forgiveness on mishits?" but he isn't answering that question; the actual question he's answering is "does a scratch golfer with a high-quality repeatable swing benefit from maximum forgiveness over a large data set?"

mid to high handicaps are asking the first question, and literally no one is asking the second question. but he presents the conclusion in a way that is directed at the mid to high handicap asking the first question, and they'll walk away less informed and more misguided than before they watched his stupid video.

How many knew exactly whose video it was going to be just by the thread title?

✋

Ok, good golfer doesn't see a ton of deviation.

What about a 24 handicap?

I just watched the video and it led me to sell my T-Rails for iBlades.

cool, so a scratch golfer has a tight dispersion. let's do this test with a 20-30 handicapper.

and this is why I despise Crossfield. he parades his data like it's disrupting the industry and pulling back the curtain on the wizard of oz. when in reality he has (intentionally?) constructed his test to answer a question no one asked, but presents the conclusion as if it answers the question that everyone asks. here, the question is presented as "does a cavity back offer better forgiveness on mishits?" but he isn't answering that question; the actual question he's answering is "does a scratch golfer with a high-quality repeatable swing benefit from maximum forgiveness over a large data set?"

mid to high handicaps are asking the first question, and literally no one is asking the second question. but he presents the conclusion in a way that is directed at the mid to high handicap asking the first question, and they'll walk away less informed and more misguided than before they watched his stupid video.
To be fair to him. He has a successful youtube channel that he needs to be putting out video content on constantly. You've gotta throw out answers to questions no one asks occasionally.

I would hope someone with 300,000 subscribers on YouTube would realize that hitting off a mat is one of the most difficulty neutralizing conditions you can possibly create for two iron variants.... and would explain that in depth during the video comparing the two...

..I'm six minutes in, did it happen? Spoiler?

I wonder why he didn't test that blade against his Cleveland Turbo hybrid irons, that he speaks so incredibly high of.
Seems odd.

Crossfield has always been prone to double speak IMO. I don't really watch his stuff anymore because of it.

Been done. To a degree.

Without his explanations (that great shots with Mav are WAY longer etc), I think this chart is super compelling...

1589989054755.png

That's a pretty damn tight dispersion between distance and accuracy for a forgiving club, while the blade is all over the chart regardless of strike quality.

Hmmmmm

Not to play devils advocate, or maybe I am, I don’t know,but I’ll tend to agree that blades are not necessarily a detriment. As some here have said, it would be worse with a 24 HC. I’ll disagree for a couple reasons. One, a 24 HC is not hitting his irons with much consistency at all, or he wouldn’t be a 24 HC. He/she is already missing nearly every green with their approaches. Cavity back or blades are not going to make much difference. And, if they make a concerted effort to improve, playing blades could eventually make them better ball strikers.
I got my first blades when I was a 25 HC (a long time ago). Missing the sweet spot was like taking the club and swinging it at a tree trunk. But the feel of hitting the sweet spot was such a wonderful experience/feeling that it caused me to practice so I eventually learned where to hit the ball on the face of the club.
Now I will admit he new hallow body irons are something special/revolutionary, in my mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Without his explanations (that great shots with Mav are WAY longer etc), I think this chart is super compelling...

View attachment 8944370

That's a pretty damn tight dispersion between distance and accuracy for a forgiving club, while the blade is all over the chart regardless of strike quality.

Hmmmmm
Guess it’s all in the interpretation. One could argue no matter the strike the blade is always in that 165-175 realm. To where the Mavrik can be anywhere from 155-180.

No reference to swing speed differences between the two clubs despite comparing ball speed.
Unless I missed it completely, no reference to shafts used in each head (or whether they were the same) despite comparing spin.

Guess it’s all in the interpretation. One could argue no matter the strike the blade is always in that 165-175 realm. To where the Mavrik can be anywhere from 155-180.
off a mat, maybe. Anyone who's hit a blade knows it's not like that though.

off a mat, maybe. Anyone who's hit a blade knows it's not like that though.

true. I’m not saying his test was ideal. It’s that numbers and charts can be interpreted differently depending on the agenda. I think his was to prove a shorter distance range which he did with the blade.

For me I’ve seen very big differences from SGI to even something like the Apex irons with my swing. Off hits with something like the Altitude irons still gets me near the green. Mishit with the Apex way further back from the green. I couldn’t imagine a mishit with a blade 😀

No reference to swing speed differences between the two clubs despite comparing ball speed.
Unless I missed it completely, no reference to shafts used in each head (or whether they were the same) despite comparing spin.
Not sure about the shaft part of it but mark and others have videos showing all the other data points between same lofted blades vs cavity back irons

View attachment 8944370

Hmmmmm
Me thinks the data doesn't show what he thinks it shows. I'm no fan of this test because it doesn't show anything meaningful to most golfers.

Not sure about the shaft part of it but mark and others have videos showing all the other data points between same lofted blades vs cavity back irons
interesting. I usually shy away from comparison videos because there's really only one viable way to do it... On grass, with exact same shafts and loft/lies, and identical swing weights.

The first thing Mark says in this video about the Top Flite is that it feels light, which already tells me the two clubs profile different. I've got video of my own on YouTube where I absolutely blitz the center of an MB face with a bunch of balls -- but I'm not about to compare that to a more forgiving head. Sometimes there's just a great connection between a weight profile and a golfer.

Back