Flipit

Aka- ApexFan
Reaction score
Handicap
I know many people say mallets are better than blades. I got the bright idea today to play a mallet instead of my preferred blade. Let’s just say I won’t make that mistake again. I was terrible with speed control.

I have played a mallet my whole life and am scared to try a blade lol. I have generally been a decent putter so have never considered venturing out! I wonder what statistics say about putts per round correlated to type of putter head.

I have played a blade my entire golfing life and have only hit a mallet twice I think. I love the blade style, but would definitely try a mallet one day if I could borrow one for a round. Even if I played great, I love my SC too much 🤷‍♂️.

I know many people say mallets are better than blades. I got the bright idea today to play a mallet instead of my preferred blade. Let’s just say I won’t make that mistake again. I was terrible with speed control.

Speed control has nothing to do with head shape

I have gone back-and-forth for years and ultimately it’s a blade putter that works best for me. But, after being fitted a few years ago at club Champion, it really comes down to my stroke. I was fit into a BB one which has towing and I think that has more to do with it then anything else. The only Putter that has come close to performing as well as a blade for me has been the odyssey number seven. Everything else just does not work. Face balance putters are a big no-no for me.

Although right now my putting is atrocious. But, I am not wanting to make a change because I think it’s more so about Covid than anything else. I never feel like I am making my proper stroke when I am within about 6 feet of the hole. Instead I feel like I am trying to guide it into the hole because of the flag pin being in. although right now my putting is atrocious. But, I am not wanting to make a change because I think it’s more so about Covid than anything else. I never feel like I am making my proper stroke when I am within about 6 feet of the hole. Instead I feel like I am trying to guide it into the hole because of the flag pen being in And the foam insert playing with my mind.

I wouldn't give up on anything that broad based on one experience.

I'm going to make my version of popcorn and get ready for some of the responses here though.

Last edited:
I've done the same! I've played a blade since I started golfing. Bought a mallet on a whim and putted well with it for one round so I decided to take it in to a scramble tournament the next day. Worst day of putting I've had and I sold it to a buddy the next day. I'm always down to try new things but that one wasn't it :ROFLMAO: When you know, you know

I played blade putters until college. I liked the ease of lining up putts with mallets and have played them predominantly for the last 15 years. I have flirted with a few Newport style putters but never stuck.

I’ve tried few mallet style putter. I know I need as much as forgiveness as possible so I keep trying. End of the day I always come back to SC 1.5. I guess I had this putter so long it just feels comfortable.
I’ll be trying Toulon Chicago soon. It suppose to be more forgiving than 1.5 so will see. Like other said I had tough time judging distance with it. Same goes with insert putter. Tried Ardmore few weeks and it was worst putting I’ve had.
My strengths in putting is distance control. If I lose that part of the game I am done golfing. My buddy uses old 2 ball putter and he’s one of the best putter I’ve seen. We all have choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I switched this summer from a blade to a mallet. The Taylormade SpiderX putter is in the bag. I had used an Odyssey 2 ball and a Rossie II in the past. The SpiderX is a significant improvement in a mallet putter.

I have played a mallet my whole life and am scared to try a blade lol. I have generally been a decent putter so have never considered venturing out! I wonder what statistics say about putts per round correlated to type of putter head.
Well that’s the odd thing, my usual putt count is 30-32. I had no reason to change.

Well that’s the odd thing, my usual putt count is 30-32. I had no reason to change.

Oh wow, that is very good. Switch back asap lol

Speed control has nothing to do with head shape
Well in this case I think the loft at impact is off for me, my delivery of it anyway. After a bit I started putting with some shaft lean which corrected the distance issue. Unfortunately I had a tough time hitting my line while doing that.

I had a Zebra mallet back in the day that was my favorite putter I've ever owned. Used it for several years until the shaft got pranged in an airline baggage incident. Never could get it straightened and never found another Zebra that set up like my old one to my eyes. But my goodness I could put a tight roll on the ball and start it right on line every time.

So I use Ansers now, like I used Ansers before I had that Zebra. None of these new high-MOI "mallet" shapes work for me at all. Too visually busy, too bulky and too darned heavy. If I ever use a mallet again it will be an old-school compact, rounded, mallet-mallet not a Star Trek monstrosity!

I have always played a blade but am looking to get a mallet to play a few rounds with and see how I do. A putter fitting is high on my list this year.
Yeah I’d recommend a fitting. I’m pretty sure this one is just not for me. Had I been fit i may have a different experience.

I’ve tried few mallet style putter. I know I need as much as forgiveness as possible so I keep trying. End of the day I always come back to SC 1.5. I guess I had this putter so long it just feels comfortable.
I’ll be trying Toulon Chicago soon. It suppose to be more forgiving than 1.5 so will see. Like other said I had tough time judging distance with it. Same goes with insert putter. Tried Ardmore few weeks and it was worst putting I’ve had.
My strengths in putting is distance control. If I lose that part of the game I am done golfing. My buddy uses old 2 ball putter and he’s one of the best putter I’ve seen. We all have choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As you mentioned I think it’s a comfort thing. I like the look and feel of the blade.

I wouldn't give up on anything that broad based on one experience.

I'm going to make my version of popcorn and get ready for some of the responses here though.
It’s not the first but it’s been a while. I like a blade so it’s easy for me to go back.

What’s your version of popcorn? I’d have to go with pistachios. ;)

Stroke Lab #7 may be looking for a new home. :p

I've played both blades and mallets, toe hang and face balanced, center shafted and heel shafted, inserts and no inserts, etc. I still have four different types in my collection. Experience has shown that I have better results with a face balanced mallet, so that's what I stick with. Putting is such an individual thing, there's no one type of putter that works best for (or will be preferred by) everybody.

It’s not the first but it’s been a while. I like a blade so it’s easy for me to go back.

What’s your version of popcorn? I’d have to go with pistachios. ;)
Yeah, I don't have one. Lol I didn't realize how much I don't have one until the wife and I spent a few minutes trying to figure out what that would be. She decided it's nuts. (y)

I've nearly always played a blade style, I can get along OK with some compact mallets but larger ones definitely are not that appealing to me. Either way I like 1/4 toe hang. I do like shapes like the Chicago, BB8W, QB8 slant neck, that are sort of a hybrid blade with more junk in the trunk.

I’ve played a mallet since 1995 and couldn’t imagine going to a blade at this point.

I've nearly always played a blade style, I can get along OK with some compact mallets but larger ones definitely are not that appealing to me. Either way I like 1/4 toe hang. I do like shapes like the Chicago, BB8W, QB8 slant neck, that are sort of a hybrid blade with more junk in the trunk.
I’ve always been curious about a double wide. Not sure why since I actually putt pretty well with what I have. I think it’s just the thought of buying something new. That’s actually how I ended up with the #7.

Back