Another reason why getting fit is key. Sorry it didn't work out for you this time, although sounds like you were pretty pleased with your gamer to start with.

I know many people say mallets are better than blades. I got the bright idea today to play a mallet instead of my preferred blade. Let’s just say I won’t make that mistake again. I was terrible with speed control.

You definitely can't count one round as a good sample. Everyone knows how much of a blade fan I am, huge blade fan and prefer it over anything. That being said, it was eye opening at the Grandaddy during the fitting and watching guys putt better and better and be fit for mallets.
Have both the TT Ten and the Toulon Chicago, and rotate both thru the bag regularly depending on the course greens I know I'll be playing.
The Ten is a wonderful mallet, so easy to line up on putts inside of 6 feet. Never had any issue with distance control with it after a few rounds and some practice. Though I would never say that of a mallet but I have come to enjoy putting with it.
Will it stay in the bag over the Toulon Chicago, probably not but if I need some confidence and am missing short putts it is the putter to go to.

The Chicago is in a class by itself, milled goodness that is amazing to look down on and the feel is the best I have ever felt in a blade. (better than the Scotty I had, even though I will have another Scotty)
Distance control was super easy to get used to, the weight and feel is perfect for me. Both are fitted with my preferred Tour SNSR 140CC grips.

If I had to choose one to putt with forever, definitely the Chicago. But there is a place for the Ten in my bag when it's needed.

Do the 7 justice and give it a few rounds, spend some quality time on the putting green before your round, I think it will surprise you and you'll make some putts. Try is with some different balls also.

I am told I like blades more than mallets lmao
Another reason why getting fit is key. Sorry it didn't work out for you this time, although sounds like you were pretty pleased with your gamer to start with.
yeah I am. I think we all want to putt better no matter what. I’ve had a couple days with less than 30 putts, but those are usually because I’m hitting great approach shots.

I’ve always been curious about a double wide. Not sure why since I actually putt pretty well with what I have. I think it’s just the thought of buying something new. That’s actually how I ended up with the #7.

That's how it starts, that idea that more MOI only makes perfect sense. I like the DoubleWide also, but for me I'm not sure either DoubleWide or Chicago have an option with toe hang? I suppose Toulon Garage on the Chicago could get me there.

I'll tell you two putters I have been amazed by are the Bettinardi BB8W Armageddon and QB8 LTD Slant they released last fall. Those two are both seriously GOOD feeling putters, and set up so nice for a deep flange blade style, at least for me. I've been playing a SWAG Handsome One most of this year but you have inspired my to put a the QB8LTD in the bag tomorrow.

You definitely can't count one round as a good sample. Everyone knows how much of a blade fan I am, huge blade fan and prefer it over anything. That being said, it was eye opening at the Grandaddy during the fitting and watching guys putt better and better and be fit for mallets.
Have both the TT Ten and the Toulon Chicago, and rotate both thru the bag regularly depending on the course greens I know I'll be playing.
The Ten is a wonderful mallet, so easy to line up on putts inside of 6 feet. Never had any issue with distance control with it after a few rounds and some practice. Though I would never say that of a mallet but I have come to enjoy putting with it.
Will it stay in the bag over the Toulon Chicago, probably not but if I need some confidence and am missing short putts it is the putter to go to.

The Chicago is in a class by itself, milled goodness that is amazing to look down on and the feel is the best I have ever felt in a blade. (better than the Scotty I had, even though I will have another Scotty)
Distance control was super easy to get used to, the weight and feel is perfect for me. Both are fitted with my preferred Tour SNSR 140CC grips.

If I had to choose one to putt with forever, definitely the Chicago. But there is a place for the Ten in my bag when it's needed.

Do the 7 justice and give it a few rounds, spend some quality time on the putting green before your round, I think it will surprise you and you'll make some putts. Try is with some different balls also.
It was my gamer at one point. I just decided to throw it in the bag today on a whim. The past couple weeks I’ve been struggling with my swing( not putting). Guess I was reaching for an answer to my swing woes. I actually own 2 of the #7 putters. I really prefer the blade and generally putt well with them.

I always thought I was a blade guy and for the most part I believe I putt better with one. I tried mallet after mallet and was never comfortable with one. I'd put a blade in my hand and instantly feel comfortable.

However I finally fell in love with one in the Indianapolis. It's one of those things where it instantly felt good in my hand, something I never experienced with a mallet before. The great part is I can totally see and feel the benefits of it too.

I am told I like blades more than mallets lmao
You just haven't found the right one yet.

Or should I say, @Jman hasn't let you find the right one yet 🤣.

That's how it starts, that idea that more MOI only makes perfect sense. I like the DoubleWide also, but for me I'm not sure either DoubleWide or Chicago have an option with toe hang? I suppose Toulon Garage on the Chicago could get me there.

I'll tell you two putters I have been amazed by are the Bettinardi BB8W Armageddon and QB8 LTD Slant they released last fall. Those two are both seriously GOOD feeling putters, and set up so nice for a deep flange blade style, at least for me. I've been playing a SWAG Handsome One most of this year but you have inspired my to put a the QB8LTD in the bag tomorrow.
I was eyeballing that Swag last night. Also been pondering the SC 2.5. Than I see how the Huntington Beach seems to be well liked. Ahhh, so many choices.

Yup distance control and lag putting is out the window if I even think about a mallet.

You just haven't found the right one yet.

Or should I say, @Jman hasn't let you find the right one yet 🤣.
Oh he’s found the right blade.

I know many people say mallets are better than blades. I got the bright idea today to play a mallet instead of my preferred blade. Let’s just say I won’t make that mistake again. I was terrible with speed control.

Same here. Direction wise I do fine. Speed wise I crap down my leg.

Gimme my CT Concept 2 and I’ll take my chances. I mean I’m not good on the greens by any stretch but I’m better with it.

A LOT easier to rake up 4 footers for bogey with a mallet bro.

A LOT easier to rake up 4 footers for bogey with a mallet bro.

It is. But I’m not interested in that. I want to make 20 footers for birdie, not leave them 8ft long and then 4ft long.

Until I recently ( in the last year) acquired my new favorite and current gamer, the TT #10 Odyssey I played both blades and mallets for different types of greens. No more, I have a current favorite regardless of green type.

Historically, I always played my blade putters on bent grass greens and have a couple of mid mallet sized putters for on bermuda.

The courses where I play that have bent grass are usually fast, lots of hard breaks and I can shape my putts better (in my mind) with blade style putters. The bermuda greens are a touch slower (unless freshly mowed/rolled) and have less breaks. The mallet for some reason gave me confidence with the straighter, less break putts.

Truth is I could have swapped that routine I had. It was mental. Find what looks good to you and works and develop a sound stroke and they all can work.

Well in this case I think the loft at impact is off for me, my delivery of it anyway. After a bit I started putting with some shaft lean which corrected the distance issue. Unfortunately I had a tough time hitting my line while doing that.

I can see you seem uncomfortable with that mallet.

Head shape is more of an aim "thing." Could also be an MOI "thing."

The offset and center/heel shaft also affects aim. The weight, shaft and grip weight can affect speed as well as the balance of the club (swingweight).

It's not one variable ... as you can surmise, it's a lot of variables that affect how you react to a putter.

I love blades but aim a mallet better - for me, the less lines on the head, the better. Give me 350g mallet, as little offset as possible and about 34.5-34.75 inches and I'm good.

I would not mind experimenting with some offset to see how I putt with hands somewhat forward. May make my stroke more aggressive.

Even though it's the double bend shaft, it's got 16* of toe hang.

I have been playing around with all different sorts of mallets at PGASS over the last month or so, as I've never owned one, and I recently went in for a putter fitting fully intending to add a mallet to the bag. I've got an old Cleveland Classic 1 and an old Ping Ally blade. I hit a few with the Cleveland to get the baseline and sank all 5 putts, no issue. Talked to the fitter and told him that I was wanting to try some mallets to add to the collection.

He pulled the Odyssey SL Black 7s and 10s, as he said my rate of closure suggest that moderate toe hang is ideal. I sank about 1-2 out of 5 putts with each of them and basically pulled all of them to the left. My rate of closure increased, and he said he thought it was likely that I wasn't use to the weight and was trying to overcompensate by closing it too quickly. He then pulled a SC Phantom 5.5 and it was a little better. I think I sank about 3 of the 5 putts but was still pulling them left and closing the face too much according to the data.

He basically told me you can go with a mallet and work to change your stroke to fit it (which you could definitely do), or you can use a putter that works with your current stroke, which it seems is a blade. He then asked if I wanted to test some other blades or just re-grip the Cleveland (because I'd also told him that the really thin grips on the Ping and the Cleveland weren't my favorite). I told him I'd like to try a couple of blades while I was there, so he grabbed a SL Black 1 for the newer "tech" and a Scotty 2.5.

With those, I was back to sinking pretty much all of the putts - I think I missed one with the SL.

So, I ended up having him put on a Super Stoke Tour 2.0 on the Cleveland and decided to keep playing around and testing. I ended up winning an O-Works 1 on Ebay that should be here tomorrow or Saturday to mess around with. I feel like it's a little firmer feel than the SL Black, which, to me, feels a little mushier. But I'm also digging the Bettinardi BB1, the Toulons (I've got my eye on possibly picking up an Austin, San Diego, or Chicago), and the Scotty's do feel nice, though I don't know that I would ever get one.

I think I may still try to pick up a used mallet on the cheap just to keep in the collection and mess around with, but while the fitting wasn't a huge sample size, the data showed a much starker difference than I was expecting after having played around with mallets over the last few weeks. So that's all a long way of saying I feel you.

Back