BLADES, BLADES, BLADES!

Johan185

SoCal, KiteSurfer, Golf Enthusiasts
Reaction score
Handicap
Five years ago I was a 20 plus Handicapper who could not hit a Barn with any Club from 100 Yards. Much less an Iron or Wedge. Having played Cavity Backs and SGI Irons and Hybrids for years.

Mizuno released the MP-5's and I immediately fell in love with the Looks. Who Can Resist Shinny Chrome Jewelry sitting in your bag Blinding your eyes in the Sun:thp:

Well they were beyond my pay grade and eventually I purchased KZG HB-516's. Bladed Imposters. Took a bunch of lessons. And as my Handicap closed in on 10 I found myself playing the MP-5'S better and better.

Since my Handicap was improving I eventually only played Blades and never looked back.

Well today I played my last set of fitted Callaway XR-16 Pro's from 2015 and was Shocked by the results.

As my game had improved, my ability to Maximize the Benefits of the Cup Faced technology also Improved.

I was hitting more Greens in Regulation. From further Distances, With Shorter Clubs than ever before. The Technology is amazing. Astounding and without Equal.

I was missing out on lower scores.

Now in fairness, the Blades forced me to improve my ball striking. Which always benefits any Golfer. So I am not upset. In fact I thank Mizuno for enticing me to play their clubs.

But now I am sure, that if I need to play golf with the goal of lowering my score, I should be playing a Cavity Back GI Iron.

Am I alone?

Has anyone else been down the same road?

Congratulations to THP for opening up my eyes.

Cheers to @JB @Jman

:drinks:

Once every couple months I’ll game a player’s cb set. Scores are ~5 strokes worse with it. I suck at golf and need all the help I can get.

I think this is why the Players Distance Irons are really getting popular. You get a little more of the blade look but still get some of the forgiveness of the GI. I am currently gaming old Cobra S3 GI irons and want more of a players club but don't want to lose all of the forgiveness. Really looking at the Forged Tec, P790, Titleist T-MB, and the Mizuno MMC.

Once every couple months I’ll game a player’s cb set. Scores are ~5 strokes worse with it. I suck at golf and need all the help I can get.
But could playing a blade help your ball striking like it did mine?

Or was it just the Lessons and range time that eventually paid off. So now yes I can honestly play a Blade. But the cavity Backs are just so much easier?️‍♀️

I started with a set of MaxFli blades. At least I think they were blades. There were no cavity back, perimeter weighted, super forgiving clubs back in 1993 and 1994 when I picked up the game. Left handedness was even more of a handicap. I couldn't hit those clubs reliably worth a hoot.

I'll take cavity backed forgiveness. I suck at golf and need the help clubs can provide. And lessons. One day lessons for me.

But could playing a blade help your ball striking like it did mine?

Or was it just the Lessons and range time that eventually paid off. So now yes I can honestly play a Blade. But the cavity Backs are just so much easier?️‍♀️
I think we’re all different. in my case, range time and lessons have been limited, but inthe past they’ve been the better route for improving.

@Tevenor

It's All your fault. You tour level PW data pull the Cup Face out of the dust bin and back into the Bag:drinks:

@Tevenor

It's All your fault. You tour level PW data pull the Cup Face out of the dust bin and back into the Bag:drinks:
I had a set of XR Pros. I sold them because they were too long. lol

@Tevenor

Oh I know. When I came back to golf in yearly 2000's, I ended up Taylormade 300 forged irons. THey taught me REALLY quick on how to focus on being a good ball striker with irons. It was painful but I attribute a lot of my success in my iron play today with going through that pain then.

So you are saying my experiment to play muscle back irons is a mistake? ??

Five years ago I was a 20 plus Handicapper who could not hit a Barn with any Club from 100 Yards. Much less an Iron or Wedge. Having played Cavity Backs and SGI Irons and Hybrids for years.

Mizuno released the MP-5's and I immediately fell in love with the Looks. Who Can Resist Shinny Chrome Jewelry sitting in your bag Blinding your eyes in the Sun:thp:

Well they were beyond my pay grade and eventually I purchased KZG HB-516's. Bladed Imposters. Took a bunch of lessons. And as my Handicap closed in on 10 I found myself playing the MP-5'S better and better.

Since my Handicap was improving I eventually only played Blades and never looked back.

Well today I played my last set of fitted Callaway XR-16 Pro's from 2015 and was Shocked by the results.

As my game had improved, my ability to Maximize the Benefits of the Cup Faced technology also Improved.

I was hitting more Greens in Regulation. From further Distances, With Shorter Clubs than ever before. The Technology is amazing. Astounding and without Equal.

I was missing out on lower scores.

Now in fairness, the Blades forced me to improve my ball striking. Which always benefits any Golfer. So I am not upset. In fact I thank Mizuno for enticing me to play their clubs.

But now I am sure, that if I need to play golf with the goal of lowering my score, I should be playing a Cavity Back GI Iron.

Am I alone?

Has anyone else been down the same road?

Congratulations to THP for opening up my eyes.

Cheers to @JB @Jman

:drinks:
How long actual practice and playing did it take before you got the blades dialed in, especially since they forced you to improve your ball striking?

I didn't have a problem hitting short and mid irons in a "conventional" set. Anything longer than a 7i and I'd struggle. I played and practiced with them for several months believing they would help me develop better mechanics. I was wrong. At least I now know the answer of that debate when it comes to my game.

I don’t believe that playing blades will help someone get better at golf. No club fixes a bad swing, but having more forgiving irons will help but you’ll still be able to tell when you mishit

The lessons and practice helped you

they get brought out from time to time. other than being harder to hit, I don't really notice much of a difference in scores.

IMG_20190430_052320.jpg
IMG_20170811_003908.jpg

Back