Blades Vs Cavity Back

Johan185

SoCal, KiteSurfer, Golf Enthusiasts
Reaction score
Handicap
I know this is probably over kill. But here goes.

Is it better to keep swinging a shovel while you take lessons hoping to improve, or bite the bullet and get some blades?

Will the increased difficulty and smaller sweet spot force me to improve? Sink or swim. Or are they just instruments best left for experts on tour.

The best ball strikers always learned on blades. But, maybe I should not be comparing myself with a PGA pro who has been swing a club since the age of 3 years old.

So there you have it. All ideas, opinions and suggestions welcomed.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

IMO unless you are a very very good iron striker; I think you'll benefit much much more from taking lessons, and I don't think you'd enjoy your time trying to play blades. You can learn/improve and get all the feedback necessary on "shovels". There are plenty of mid-range irons though that have a smaller profile that still offer a good amount of forgiveness. i.e. the XR pros you have, RSi2's, Mizuno 850 forged, Callaway Apex. I fully understand the lust for blades, I do...but I believe they will do more harm (making the game harder) than good for you. You'll be able to do all the improving you need and get all the feedback you'll ever need from your current irons.

It's really a personal preference. Play what you like. The forgiveness is GI irons is real, and can make the game fun while you improve. I don't buy into the idea that punishing clubs make you improve faster. More practice and instruction makes you improve. I personally bag a set of GI irons and have cut my handicap by 10 strokes over 2 seasons, and I don't intend on replacing them anytime soon. Play what you want to play. Practice practice practice and really work on the short game.

IMO unless you are a very very good iron striker; I think you'll benefit much much more from taking lessons, and I don't think you'd enjoy your time trying to play blades. You can learn/improve and get all the feedback necessary on "shovels". There are plenty of mid-range irons though that have a smaller profile that still offer a good amount of forgiveness. i.e. the XR pros you have, RSi2's, Mizuno 850 forged, Callaway Apex. I fully understand the lust for blades, I do...but I believe they will do more harm (making the game harder) than good for you. You'll be able to do all the improving you need and get all the feedback you'll ever need from your current irons.
You are the voice of reason. But the Blades are just so god dam cute.

You are the voice of reason. But the Blades are just so god dam cute.

Oh they are incredible to look at. I would love a set just to stare at them in my bag. but I know there are points in my game where I would suffer if I did.

I started playign with blades... and all they did were hurt my hands and make the game harder than they should have been.

when I bought my first set of CB irons, I started hitting good shots and loving the game. sono, I would not go back to blades as games, I could have a set just for kicks and because they are pretty, but there are so many good options that offers look playability and forgiveness, don't hurt your game playing with blades.

unless of course you really want to play blades, then goahead and play them, it's all about what makes you enjoy the game

There's nothing a blade will teach you. You might get proficient at striking the ball by practicing with a blade, however that doesn't mean it'll make you a better player. You could develope bad habits that you don't want in your swing even tho you strike it well with a blade. I say stick with lessons get better at striking the ball that way then take a look into a CB or MB if you want. This is all coming from a guy who plays blades.

There's nothing a blade will teach you. You might get proficient at striking the ball by practicing with a blade, however that doesn't mean it'll make you a better player. You could develope bad habits that you don't want in your swing even tho you strike it well with a blade. I say stick with lessons get better at striking the ball that way then take a look into a CB or MB if you want. This is all coming from a guy who plays blades.
And this coming from a real good stick.

Do a search on this; it's been discussed ad nauseum.

Bottom line for me is that a GI will never hold back your game while blades are too punishing on slight mis hits to seriously consider using on a regular basis unless you are like scratch level. But I know guys who prefer blades for one reason or another of all handicaps and are fine with hitting their 8i 100 yards. Play what you want at the end of the day.

In this day in age though, there are options out there that provide GI forgiveness with a fairly thin profile, providing the bestow both worlds.

And this coming from a real good stick.
Thanks buddy! I'm certainly not against blades or anyone playing them that's for sure but trying to use them for practice I don't really get. Have someone get you on the right track first no matter the club was then go hammer those butter knives!

Having been on both sides of your question, I feel I can provide a solid opinion.

I was a high school and college golfer. I grew up hitting "shovels" and learned the game with them. Once I got into high school I got better "shovels" and picked up some Callaway irons (S2H2...showing my age). I used those all through college. Once I finished with college I was (for 2 years) an Assistant Golf Pro. While I was there and practicing ALL THE TIME, my game got down to just under a 1. SO, I bought some Mizuno MP-33 blades. I could never hit the 3 iron! These blades where awesome, but even for as good as my swing had become, if I was just a LITTLE off they would penalize me. I could work the crap out of the ball, but once I left the industry and practice got less and less. I knew it was time to go back to a more forgiving iron set. You can see in my signature, I'm playing a much more forgiving set of Callaway's now.

Bottom line, I'd learn with a more forgiving set, so you can enjoy the game and improve you scores and ability. Once you're down in the lower single digits with you handicap...then...you might give a set of blades a try. For me? I don't think I'll grab a set of blades again. Even once I get back to a good practice level like I was at. The added forgiveness in todays irons, even set's like the Apex Pros, are so great! I wouldn't want to have a chance to penalize myself if I'm having an off day.

Just my take.

I started off using game improvement irons and have put in a lot of work over the past 10 years to improve my golf game. I am a pretty good ball striker with my irons and have learned that the forgiveness of irons are great and the new lofts give you exceptional distance. IMO I find it is harder to move the ball L to R or R to L with a more forgiving club. I can do it but its harder to control for me. I find it a lot easier to do with blades but man if you do not catch the ball right on the face, the about of distance you lose is unreal. That being said I really enjoy the look and feel of blades but manufacturers now are producing clubs that are blade looking with more forgiveness. The Srixon Z745 irons may be the most forgiving, long and solid feeling irons out there right now and they are not blades. Just keep working hard and you will find what works best for you!

A blade isn't going to tell you why you hit a poor shot, only that you hit a poor shot. If you don;t have a basis of understand of why the ball is doing what it is doing from a qualified instructor, you are chasing nothing.

And most quality players learned on blades because that is all they had. Just looks at the PGA Tour players and their equipment. You will be hard pressed to find anyone playing blades anymore.

Some of the best golfers in the world don't play blades

I see no reason to go to a blade when most of the GI irons are just fine now and will be just fine after you get better. Golf is probably one of the most difficult games to play so why make it harder. GI irons are just fine. Just make sure they fit what your looking for. Not all GI irons are big, thick and chunky like the Bertha's. There are plenty of good options that will grow with your game, ie; Apex, Z545's, 355's, Bio Cell's, RSI etc...

Okay wait a minute. There are CB, MB, and Blades.

I such a amateur. But how many different types of golf clubs are in the Irons bracket.

Or maybe it's a list too long to understand.

Is It GI, SGI, Blades, etc. Or is it just as plentiful as the offerings of every OEM.

No wonder I'm lost.

Golf is truly the toughest sport. Even after 20 or 30 years I'm still not sure of how many different irons exist, much less which one to choose.

Go figure

If you really want blades, have them as a second set. When you are swinging really well you can put them in play and enjoy them. When the inevitable happens you can go back to the shovels :)
For me it comes down to the look of the club at address. Now that I have played smaller headed irons for a number of seasons it is tough looking down at the larger heads. That is why I prefer "player's style" cavity backs of which there are lots to choose from.... Best of both worlds.

Okay wait a minute. There are CB, MB, and Blades.

I such a amateur. But how many different types of golf clubs are in the Irons bracket.

Or maybe it's a list too long to understand.

Is It GI, SGI, Blades, etc. Or is it just as plentiful as the offerings b6 every OEM.

No wonder I'm lost.

Golf is truly the toughest sport. Even after 20 or 30 years I'm still not sure of how many different irons exist, much less which one to choose.

Go figure

Haha no worries dude golf is a wonderful sport with a huge spectrum of equipment. CB is cavity back MB is muscle back same thing as a blade. After CB it goes to GI then SGI. There are some fantastic offerings in the SGI and GI category that don't look like you would think for being in that category. Much more pleasing to the eye than one might think.

I know this is probably over kill. But here goes.

Is it better to keep swinging a shovel while you take lessons hoping to improve, or bite the bullet and get some blades?

Will the increased difficulty and smaller sweet spot force me to improve? Sink or swim. Or are they just instruments best left for experts on tour.

The best ball strikers always learned on blades. But, maybe I should not be comparing myself with a PGA pro who has been swing a club since the age of 3 years old.

So there you have it. All ideas, opinions and suggestions welcomed.

With technology where it is today, the same "Blade v CB" argument had today is totally different from even ten years ago. CB irons sound and respond incredibly well with some of the tech on the market, and they do things that some don't really consider (like ball speed retention across the face and increased launch).

I've spent the latter half of 2015 with bladed or near bladed irons and it's been a blast. It's also incredibly educational because you 100% know when you're not on the center of the face by sound and vibration alone. With that in mind, I don't think my abilities as a golfer improve by using a blade, rather, I just get punished more by distance when I miss.

If you want a club that tells you very clearly when you miss, buy a blade.
If you want a mix of retention and responsiveness, go for some of the 'pro' models out today.
If you want distance as a primary, get your hands on some of the more forgiving irons available.

What's amazing to me, is how much they are bridging the gap. I can grab the Mizuno MP-5, the Bridgestone J15 CB, the Callaway Apex Pro, and the Callaway XR irons and get five slightly different experiences as I progress in that order. In fact, I think I could very easily build out 10 irons that start from "ouch that destroyed the tips of my fingers" all the way to "wow I can't believe how bad that swing was and how far that ball went" on the spectrum.

It's all about finding where you fit with your game, and whether you want to get lessons to improve on your weaknesses. I honestly don't know which side of the fence I prefer right now. I love the control and predictability of an MB but I'll tell you what.. If I've got 125 to go and a chance to win money, I'll pick an XR Pro AW 10 times out of 10 before i pick a 50* MB.

Some of the best golfers in the world don't play blades

This is what I was thinking. If Jordan Spieth bags a full set of CB's (player's CB's, but still), then I have NO business swinging blades.

Hell, several guys out there put full GI long irons in their bag, and these guys are extreme plus caps!

With technology where it is today, the same "Blade v CB" argument had today is totally different from even ten years ago. CB irons sound and respond incredibly well with some of the tech on the market, and they do things that some don't really consider (like ball speed retention across the face and increased launch).

I've spent the latter half of 2015 with bladed or near bladed irons and it's been a blast. It's also incredibly educational because you 100% know when you're not on the center of the face by sound and vibration alone. With that in mind, I don't think my abilities as a golfer improve by using a blade, rather, I just get punished more by distance when I miss.

If you want a club that tells you very clearly when you miss, buy a blade.
If you want a mix of retention and responsiveness, go for some of the 'pro' models out today.
If you want distance as a primary, get your hands on some of the more forgiving irons available.

What's amazing to me, is how much they are bridging the gap. I can grab the Mizuno MP-5, the Bridgestone J15 CB, the Callaway Apex Pro, and the Callaway XR irons and get five slightly different experiences as I progress in that order. In fact, I think I could very easily build out 10 irons that start from "ouch that destroyed the tips of my fingers" all the way to "wow I can't believe how bad that swing was and how far that ball went" on the spectrum.

It's all about finding where you fit with your game, and whether you want to get lessons to improve on your weaknesses. I honestly don't know which side of the fence I prefer right now. I love the control and predictability of an MB but I'll tell you what.. If I've got 125 to go and a chance to win money, I'll pick an XR Pro AW 10 times out of 10 before i pick a 50* MB.
Great opinion. I glad I asked

Because truly everyone of the replies has touched on some of my concerns and questions.

Lessons of course are the back bone of any path towards better scores and more fun on the golf course.

And buying Shinny news things for Xmas. Well that's just golf. Right.

Just I have become infatuated with blades for years. And now there are so many beauties on the market. I would be lying if I didn't admit I would love to step up in a formula one, bladed clubs in my bag on the first tee.

But of course. I may never be qualified to drive or swing one.

Because truly everyone of the replies has touched on some of my concerns and questions.

Lessons of course are the back bone of any path towards better scores and more fun on the golf course.

Just I have become infatuated with blades for years. And now there are so many beauties on the market. I would be lying if I didn't admit I would love to step up in a formula one clubs in my bag one the first tee.

But of course. I may never be fit to drive or swing one.

Hey, I'm not fit to drive a Lambo, but you better believe I'd get one if I could!!!

It's up to the individual. I don't think there's any question that a high capper playing an MB is leaving strokes on the table, but who's to say their main golf goal is the number they put on the scorecard?

If you love them, get them. Your score is your score and just because it says "game improvement" doesn't always mean that will translate for you. Play this game we love how YOU want to.

Hey, I'm not fit to drive a Lambo, but you better believe I'd get one if I could!!!

It's up to the individual. I don't think there's any question that a high capper playing an MB is leaving strokes on the table, but who's to say their main golf goal is the number they put on the scorecard?

If you love them, get them. Your score is your score and just because it says "game improvement" doesn't always mean that will translate for you. Play this game we love how YOU want to.
Mizuno mp5. Who's your daddy? Come home to Papa. Lol

The THP is going to bankrupt me. Lol.

Got to love it.

As someone who plays blades, and AP2s (I switch out sometimes) I can tell you the only real difference I see is distance forgiveness. Slightly off center hits on the blades don't travel as far as I'm used to seeing on the AP2s, but over all I like the look and feel of the blades much better.

I learned to play with blades. I asked my instructor this very same question when I began playing a few years ago. He told me that it made no difference, as we were going to learn to play the game, not play the club.

As I've gotten better, I have found that I do have a bit more control now with the blades. I can hit nice tight draws and fades with ease. With the AP2s I often over hit the draw or fade and send it way too far off my target line. This is probably because I play it the way the less forgiving club wants me to.

Just I have become infatuated with blades for years. And now there are so many beauties on the market. I would be lying if I didn't admit I would love to step up in a formula one, bladed clubs in my bag on the first tee.

But of course. I may never be qualified to drive or swing one.

I have a Bridgestone 6i. Let me send it to you. Spend some time on the range with that one club to confirm the decision before parting with your hard earned money.. PM your address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back