Blades Vs Cavity Back

Its always unpopular when I say it, but, those who see that 'jump' 95% of the time its from actually hitting the sweet spot. I've played and reviewed more iron sets than I can count and have literally seen THREE ever that have what I would call "jumpers".

Also, offset is NOT draw bias. Offset in irons is there for launch purposes. Those who hook offset irons are 9 of 10 times setting up to hit a hook solely because of how the offset looks to them which leads to an improper setup/ball-position at address. You can ask any club designer, and THP has on many occasions, the offset in irons is not about draw bias, its perpetuated out there and just incorrect.

Hotspots are another over-perpetuated thing on the internet with irons. Vastly.
I 100 percent believe your are 100 accurate in you assessment and knowledge.

So then I have no other choice but to blame myself. For the Flyers and Hooks. Period.

But, humbly, whether by design or by appearances I can not say. But the Clubs which are less forgiving, and therefore have a smaller sweet spot, seem to either force me to hit the sweet spot more consistently. Or, which is most likely the truth, have such a small sweet spot that I rarely of ever hit and therefore results in a decrease in flyers. So since I probably never hit the sweet spot and strike the ball in the wrong areas consistently, the MB's or Cavity backs designated Pro's produce better results for my game. With my swing flaws.

Likewise, the offset most be affecting my stance, swing, ball position, etc at a subconscious level. The results are that it doesn't improve my launch condition, but only results in a severe duck hook. Again, less than desirable.

So again when I look down at a club my eyes are looking for the clubs with the least offset, because those are the clubs that have performed the best for me. Again, 100 percent my fault. My swing flaws, scars, blemishes and all.

So eventhough I am not a Scratch Golfer by any stretch of the imagination, I have gravitated towards clubs with small sweet spot and zero offset. These are fortunately or unfortunately the least forgiving clubs, but they produce the best results for me and my game.

Which is totally counter intuitive, and the opposite of what most golfers need.

I am just lucky that the OEM'S are still producing MB's, Blades, and Cavity Backs with the Pro category.

You are 100 correct. Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately my swing is less than perfect and like anyone else, we pick the clubs that give us the best chances of success on the golf course.

But you have help me understand the root cause. You have also explained why someone might sing praises for one design and another group of golfers sing praises for another class of clubs. Often with opposite designs and characteristics.

Cheers. And thanks for the education.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Musclebacks are fun. If you like them, use them! I'm going to try to get out tomorrow, might be my last time out this year.

Hit 'em well.... with whatever club you happen to choose

Dave

Musclebacks are fun. If you like them, use them! I'm going to try to get out tomorrow, might be my last time out this year.

Hit 'em well.... with whatever club you happen to choose

Dave
Hopefully you can get a Golf Outing below the snow belt this winter to some warm location and enjoy a little break from the cold.

The Blades Are Back In Season.
527d743e126affd5af0ef097cf64db97.jpg

Within the last 3 years I have started with GI irons, moved on to a set of Wilson V6 Irons and now I picked up a set of Cobra Cb/MB irons that I absolutely love using. My handicap suggests that I have no business at all playing mb's but can honestly say I feel I hit them better than any other iron I have played.

Where my game suffers is on the green, I can't putt to save my life...lol

I know people have said this and I totally agree, play whatever makes you enjoy the game.
I started playing with armour 855s, played taylormade burners, oversized titliest (couldnt hit them) went to ping Gs (couldnt hit them) mizuno MP-H5 to now Cobra CB/MB and playing my best golf ever. Lol. Mostly 7 iron down. Club of the year F9 4 iron (off the tee) lol.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

My thoughts on blades vs cavity back irons is; 12 & lower hdcp players are best served with blades, 13 thru 22 hdcp are best served with cavity back irons and 23 and higher hdcp players are best served with GI irons.

The better the player, the more practice and with higher swing speed swings, help to groove the swing into a more muscle memory swing. That's why the tour players clubs have small, dime size, wear marks on their clubs in the center. The less practice, not so much muscle memory and slower the swing speeds of 13 thru 22 hdcp players are better suited with cavity back irons to help make of for some of the losses. 23 & higher hdcp players...................... keep swinging those GI irons.

My thoughts on blades vs cavity back irons is; 12 & lower hdcp players are best served with blades, 13 thru 22 hdcp are best served with cavity back irons and 23 and higher hdcp players are best served with GI irons.

The better the player, the more practice and with higher swing speed swings, help to groove the swing into a more muscle memory swing. That's why the tour players clubs have small, dime size, wear marks on their clubs in the center. The less practice, not so much muscle memory and slower the swing speeds of 13 thru 22 hdcp players are better suited with cavity back irons to help make of for some of the losses. 23 & higher hdcp players...................... keep swinging those GI irons.
A few things here. Blades being beat based on ghin alone cannot really be used as a blanket statement. As you say a 12 and below, you can be a single digit handicap and still use a lot of surface area on your club face. Also, you can be 12 or lower without having faster swing speeds.

I think it boils down to finding that golden combination of spin, launch, and forgiveness. Look at the witb of a lot of top pros and you'll see that they opt for a little more forgiving irons. Even with that dime sized wear mark, they're looking to maximize their misses.

A mis hit is a mis hit. A mb may not be as punishing as some may think. If the flight fits you and the misses are manageable and you want to play blades, them by all means, put them in the bag. But, I don't think painting with broad strokes is applicable in this kind of decision.

Its always unpopular when I say it, but, those who see that 'jump' 95% of the time its from actually hitting the sweet spot. I've played and reviewed more iron sets than I can count and have literally seen THREE ever that have what I would call "jumpers".

Also, offset is NOT draw bias. Offset in irons is there for launch purposes. Those who hook offset irons are 9 of 10 times setting up to hit a hook solely because of how the offset looks to them which leads to an improper setup/ball-position at address. You can ask any club designer, and THP has on many occasions, the offset in irons is not about draw bias, its perpetuated out there and just incorrect.

This times a million.

Play what you want and play what makes you happy. I know I’ve found a good zone for myself iron wise, but I’d be lying if that lust for blades isn’t always there. I could probably do just fine with them too, but I’m not at that stage of ponder just yet hah. But the idea that MB’s are immune to the mythical flier while more forgiving irons are riddled with them is crazy talk.

Personally I love MB irons, the look, the feel, the drawback is distance for me. I found I could find the center much more consistently but with my SS my 9 iron was a 120-130 yd club and that was just not fun.
Handicap has nothing to do with it imo, a fast SS 20 cap can play MB's without much issue and may even play better. The misses are death though so hit the center or very close and be rewarded with lasers at the pin.

The bold is absolutely true. Most left bias from offset comes from players visually aligning the toe and heel of the iron for alignment thus starting with a closed face. If you align before gripping the club and your iron has offset make sure you are using the bottom groove for alignment.

I don't like rules around golf equipment. Too many of these types of rules of thumb are out there and it confuses folks and makes them chase equipment around instead of working on their game and becoming a better golfer. They should go get fit and pick from a group of irons they like that gets them the best performance. If a 20 handicapper wants to play blades, so be it, but they should let the fitter find the blades that work best for them, get them in a proper shaft, and get the lie angle right for them. If a scratch golfer wants to play GI irons same deal. Let the fitter find the brand that fits their swing, get the right shafts, and get the lie angle right.

I think there are some bogey golfers that are good enough iron players to play blades because their main problem is swing speed not consistent contact. They would struggle with most sets not because of the head, but because of the 120g+ super stiff shafts that the off the shelf versions of those clubs have. Getting fit and ordering custom would alleviate this problem.

I used to be in the camp that said a lot of golfers would score the same with any set of irons. Lately though it's pretty amazing the launch and the speed people can get from a basic cavity design with a little tech sprinkled in.

Does this translate to lower scores? Maybe not on your good rounds with your swing dialed in, but it surely could on those rounds where you're lost and swinging like a jackass

For all of you who are sold on the extra forgiveness of a cavity back/hollow body iron vs. a muscle back, do you use cavity back wedges? If not, why? Cleveland and others make great cavity back wedges. I’m just wondering if you are a believer in the technology why not for your scoring clubs? Are you choosing your scoring clubs on different criteria than your other clubs such as looks or tradition rather than performance/forgiveness?

For me I’ve tried CB wedges(Cleveland) but I like the feel of a MB traditional wedge and didn’t find the the CB wedge to be more accurate. I hit almost all my approach shots with MB “blades” clubs as my 4 wedges are MB blades. I carry 6 CB irons in my bag but yesterday I hit one of those cavity backs only on #2, #9, #11, #13, and #17 and that was a very typical round. I believe in the tech of a hollow bodied or cavity back iron especially for longer shots which is why I have Z565/765 irons in my bag and just ordered a Epic Forged 4 iron. Bottom line though is I still hit the vast majority of my approach shots with muscle back blades because that’s what my wegdes are.

I have never believed that certain clubs shouldn't be used by certain handicap levels, but when it came to blades I hadn't considered them until this year. The main reason for this is that I never played enough to have a consistent enough strike, but playing more regularly has given me more confidence and consistency in my swing, so when it came to replacing my old irons I was looking originally at the Z785/585 combo, but after hitting the Z-Forged blades and getting good results I decided to put them in my bag

Since putting them in my bag I have dropped my handicap from 12 to 9, so they must be doing something for me

For all of you who are sold on the extra forgiveness of a cavity back/hollow body iron vs. a muscle back, do you use cavity back wedges? If not, why?
Mainly for spin and trajectory (higher COG). Forgiveness is not a priority for me in a wedge, since it's not as much of a challenge to hit the sweet spot. I'm using my Apex irons for longer approaches, where I'm more concerned about losing distance on mishits than I am about spin/trajectory control. I'd be ok with playing an MB design in my 8/9 iron too, but my set isn't built that way, and I don't think it's costing me strokes.

Just Added the Mizuno T20 wedges and MP-20's MB irons. All blades. 8 clubs.

Could not play better if they were super GI Cavity backs.

Play what happens to improve your score and enjoyment.

But don't limit your Options to one style of clubs.

Test everything and pick the best clubs for your game. Your swing. You conditions.

M2C

Will the technology advance to the point that one day it will be so well hidden inside the clubs that we will have to cut the muscle backs open to reveal the truth. That it's a Muscle back on the outside, but a Game Improvement Iron under the hood.

They're already out there.

Back