Blades Vs Cavity Back

Some folks can hit them well and some folks can't, I say play what you hit best and enjoy hitting them whatever you choose.
Bingo. I'm with you Trout. At the end of the day play what makes you smile.

Having started the thread I will submit an update.

Feel. Look. Sound. Joy.

MP -5'S. Nothing even comes close.

Ease. Distance. Forgiveness. XR Pro's.

The Blades have turned out to be great tools to practice and improve my game. The small sweet spot and sharp sting from any mishit quickly reminds me to focus on every shot.

My mishits are usually just short but seldom land in hazards.

The strong boring ball flight is the reward for well struck shots.

Then when I return to the XR Pro's I see immediate improvements. Longer straighter shots. More consistent connecting with the sweet spot. But of course toe or heel shots may find hazardous areas. They are just as long but lack directional control.

So if I'm out to have fun. I chose the blades. But if I had to make a living golfing I would opt for a forgiving players cavity back.

I seem to save a stroke or two per game with the more forgiving clubs.

But as mentioned above, when ever I bag the Mp -5's. The oohs and awes are hear d from friends and foes alike.

Everyone loves the looks and feels of a well stroke blade

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I would suspect you're right. There's a reason why companies categorize their irons into skill, and why informed golfers like THPers are going to lean towards the clubs that help their game.

While I personally lean towards the bladed design, I do not believe I speak for the majority here. At all. Maybe a five percenter?

Indeed, We seem to be in the minority here.

Damn this thread. I am now perusing blades. Wilson Staff blades especially.

Such a dumb idea, but it happens every time!

I'll just leave this here.

1fef6419f743d15f1b1aaba53cffafeb.jpg

I'm with you. Bridgestone J15s to be exact. I wish I was a little bit taller, I wish I were a baller…

Thanks, Richard

Edit: fun fact, last year I was a "submit payment" away from being the proud owner of a set of FG 62 Tours

Thanks, Richard

Edit: fun fact, last year I was a "submit payment" away from being the proud owner of a set of FG 62 Tours
I have a set of FG17s old school 4i-9i I cleaned up all the rust and started to paintfill them, just never cleaned the excess paintfill up yet. If you want em just for kicks let me know they're yours buddy.

I have a set of FG17s old school 4i-9i I cleaned up all the rust and started to paintfill them, just never cleaned the excess paintfill up yet. If you want em just for kicks let me know there yours buddy.
Nah man. I can't take you on those. It may sway my opinion on blades/CB. I don't want to be wrong...again.

They are just too beautiful. And ultimately that may be our sin. We fall in love with the beauty but forget that inside dwells a beast.

It's just a clear sign of how insane we are.

We spend 4 to 5 hours looking for a little white ball only to strike it 250 to 300 yards away in the hopes we will find it again.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I'm drawn to a thin topline on an iron, and always have been. If I had the game for blades, I would absolutely put some in the bag.

I started playing blades this season and my game has never been better! I constantly improve and my misses are reduced.

I learnt to play with blades, then moved to Titleist DCI 762's, then AP2's and now play AP1's. The older and better I get, the bigger and more forgiving my clubs seem to get LOL.

Yes my favorite thread has been bumped. Always good discussion in this thread. Go for it Blu you are a good enough ball striker to play those. Also they're sexy as hell.

You can game those.

I've got such an infatuation with the J15 MBs. Don't know if I have the game for them but I'm so close to pulling the trigger.

I've got such an infatuation with the J15 MBs. Don't know if I have the game for them but I'm so close to pulling the trigger.
Just do it.

The son of a guy at my course has those irons. They are amazing. He plays at a school in Tennessee.

i put the 9i in play earlier this year while my gamer 9i was being replaced. it's muy sessy to look at, but i actually didn't care for the feel and it was way short. pretty much killed that minor ponder with a handful of swings.

IMO unless you are a very very good iron striker; I think you'll benefit much much more from taking lessons, and I don't think you'd enjoy your time trying to play blades. You can learn/improve and get all the feedback necessary on "shovels". There are plenty of mid-range irons though that have a smaller profile that still offer a good amount of forgiveness. i.e. the XR pros you have, RSi2's, Mizuno 850 forged, Callaway Apex. I fully understand the lust for blades, I do...but I believe they will do more harm (making the game harder) than good for you. You'll be able to do all the improving you need and get all the feedback you'll ever need from your current irons.
Given the recent release of the Mizuno New Line of MP-20's, has the line between Blades and Cavity Back been blurred?

With MB the Muscle Backs proper, MMC the Cavity Backs and HMB the Hollow Bodied Blades in disguise, is this debate even more relevant?

Why hide the technology inside the HMB? To play to our egos and cover up the tech and Tungsten in the back of the golf club with a Chrome hardtop.

Who really is the MMC clubs targeting? The Mid Handicapper or the Medalist golfer who want to play a club that will help them win, period.

Mizuno has a long history of making clubs that have won every Single major, over many generations, so they obviously have some ideas about performance.

Will the technology advance to the point that one day it will be so well hidden inside the clubs that we will have to cut the muscle backs open to reveal the truth. That it's a Muscle back on the outside, but a Game Improvement Iron under the hood.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

No the lines aren’t blurred. The MP20 is a pure muscle back that offers little in forgiveness. Neither of the other two options are blades.

while Mizuno did it fairly well, the HMB are certainly not the first hollow body iron (in any form) which we talked about with them in one of our last videos we shot at their HQ.

The good news is just about every company offers a hollow body construction set to give golfers a choice for those that like it.

Last edited:
Only about 1/2 of the PGA Tour uses blades anymore. That should tell you what you need to know. If you love the look and just want to play an old school type of game regardless of score that is fine, but they are not going to improve your game or score so don't justify the purchase with that line of thinking. If you want to go out and experiment, look cool, and test yourself then you will enjoy them. If you think they are going to make you a better player you will be really disappointed.

Back