Review Blast Motion Gen 3 Review

I havnt got into hitting balls with hit yet. Just putting.

I think there is enough here to make practice more pointed and enjoyable.

Totally agree. Although I havnt been able to get it out on an actual practice green yet there is a lot to look at. BUT, you dont have to look at everything. You can pick out a stat that you are working on and specifically single it out over the others and concentrate on that. Its actually a really nice tool. But like anything, you have to have the patience to use it and use the data to integrate into your practice. Not saying its hard to use (its stupid easy) but some get bored or some dont like to practice period. Which is also fine.

Fairly consistent!(y)

I imagine you are going to have some fun with this. Even more so when you are able to start coaching your team up.
I’m surprised my backstroke tempo is slower than I realized. And irked.

I had decided to upgrade my Blast Motion sensor to the gen 3 to see how and if the new full swing would be worth the upgrade. Boy, is this worth the 75.00.

Provided the numbers are accurate this little sensor combined with your phone video can replace many of the cheaper options available for viewing your swing.

I take the sensor out to the range while using, but you could also easily use a home net or simulator.

The main idea behind this sensor is to work on tempo, but for me, I am using this as a complete self video analysis and improvement tool. This would be fantastic with a coach or instructor as you can go to the range, turn on a custom session for each club or change via woods/irons/wedges and you simply swing as many shots as you like. The sensor and video will only record each swing in a separate video for analysis. You can look thru each swing one by one and save, send to coach, place your lines and circles if you like and watch your progress.

Here are a couple videos I did. You can see the differences from a good shot and flight to a bad shot.

Good Shot

My swing speed is up and I stay down more on the ball. I have an issue of over rotation on backswing and too little rotation on the forward swing. I use way too much arms and not my legs and hips. This I believe breaks my wrists in contact losing speed and consistency I believe

You see as I lift up my body here:

Bad Shot

Here is a picture from the front view of what the analysis can look like. Drawing some lines. I am working on not swaying and keeping my head stationary throughout the swing.

FD276B0A-0DA4-4B02-95AF-7525A16D27FB.jpeg

Another great feature is comparing swing together. You can take any two swings and the system will match them in sync. You can draw your lines, list your areas throughout the swing that you want to have as stop points in the video like Address, Backswing, Power Area, Impact, Finish.

Here is a picture of the comparison

DD2FF6EF-A0AD-4A7B-B16C-F59F8546B050.png
This is one fantastic tool for any trying to improve their golf swing. The price is amazing at 75.00 plus subscription of 59.95 if you want to draw lines and do some extra analysis.

If we had enough people if would be great to start a thread to help each other with video analysis. Breaking down areas of our wings to help us improve. You don’t need a Blast Sensor as any video would do, but this little tool would be an awesome way to go.

The ui on Android at least is not very intuitive so far. Was trying to sign up and things were spinning, couldn't tell if sensor was connected or it linked to a club? By deduction I think the sensor might not have been charged enough, but that certainly wasn't clear. Will charge for a bit and give it another go.

The ui on Android at least is not very intuitive so far. Was trying to sign up and things were spinning, couldn't tell if sensor was connected or it linked to a club? By deduction I think the sensor might not have been charged enough, but that certainly wasn't clear. Will charge for a bit and give it another go.
the light on the charger pad will change when its fully charged.

Round 2 a **** show as well.

Sensor shows 100% charged, but flips to 0% when I try to do something on the app. Several disconnect/reconnect cycles. Says there are swings on it to upload, but I can't upload or delete them, and can't reset the sensor.

Hmm, will try again tomorrow.

Sensor shows 100% charged, but flips to 0% when I try to do something on the app. Several disconnect/reconnect cycles. Says there are swings on it to upload, but I can't upload or delete them, and can't reset the sensor.

dang. this is a shame. i have an iphone. so can't off any advice there.

No luck, just doesn't work. Acts like there's corrupted data on sensor. Will get some customer service review in right off the bat. :LOL:

Damn. I have iOS devices and mine links up in seconds.

Although I did forget I can use this on full swings. Just been using it on putting. Will have to give that a go

Setup: Setup was insanely easy. Create an account, charge the sensor and follow the onscreen directions. I had a firmware upgrade that took all of 2 minutes to install. I love the "wireless charging dock" that comes with the sensor.

The App: Overall it seems really solid, in fact it's got so much, it's a little overwhelming at first. The first thing that happens is you are taken to a Dashboard which has it defaulted to a putting section. I immediately switched the drop down on the top to Full Swing. I definitely want to use this for putting, but I wanted to see what full swing is all about first. It takes you to a dashboard that has a getting started section with 3 short videos to explain the basics, hand speed, attack angle and how swing tempo effect your distance control. From there you can explore more videos, go to the "Training Center" or "Just Swing".

Full Swing – First off, it measures the following: Swing Speed, Peak Hand Speed, Swing Tempo (ratio of downswing vs. backswing), Backswing Time, Downswing Time, Attack Angle, Total Swing Time.

There are essentially 3 modes or ways to evaluate your Full Swing performance. You switch the modes by adjusting the "Metric Layouts" section within your practice session, or what they like to call "Just Swing"

• Tempo Training - It puts all the emphasis on your backswing time to downswing time. It wants you to be around 2.5:1 to 3.1:1. Meaning if you take .65 to .85 seconds in your backswing, your downswing time should be around .23 to .32 seconds. If you hit the ratio you get a “ding” and green. You still get Swing Speed, Peak Hand Speed, Attack Angle and Total Swing time displayed within this “Metric Choice”
  • IMG_5099.PNG
  • Speed Training – The focus here in order to get your celebratory *ding* is all peak hand speed, and as an 18 handicap I can’t get this mf’r green. I don’t get how do produce this correctly. I’m always late or slightly late, which from all my research will result in a slice or push slice. NOT SHOCKING, because that is my miss; however, I’ve been very unsuccessful in being able to figure this out and I think this might be where my biggest gains could be had. I just can’t seem to find a video that allows me to understand or grasp this fully. Again all other metrics mentioned above will be displayed within this training module still.
  • 1639152849555.png
  • Attack Angle – Pretty self-explanatory, I will say one thing throws me off with this though. I consistently get “Down” and the celebratory ding here, but very rarely do I seem to get a green alongside my “Down”, so it indicates to me that my attack angle is not steep enough, but I haven’t been able to find an actual measurement. It just says DOWN, so I’m not entirely sure if I’m too steep or too shallow?
  • 1639152868738.png
Initial Thoughts: Lots more to come on this, because I haven’t even looked at putting or short game yet where I think this will really get good in regards to tempo. Overall I’m really impressed with the amount of data and ease of use this little gadget has brought on though. I have found the sensor to be accurate. Does it miss some swings? Yes, it misses probably one out of ten, but nothing ridiculously annoying. I’ve had no sync issues whatsoever and connection seems to be great. LOADS of data here, but overall I’m still trying to process it all. I question it’s want and desire for tempo for example. I always thought tempo was more particular to a player and I’m not really sure why it has to fall in those ratios? For example I can’t imagine the pros don’t have wildly different tempos?

I haven't even tapped into the drills and such yet, so I just have so much more to do in this app.

Nitpicking. I don’t love having to take the sensor in and out of the mount to charge it. It’s minor, but it’s not super easy to get in and out of that plastic mount and so there is a little bit of a setup time there. The mount isn’t ultra-snug so it does rotate and has to be adjusted from time to time. I find the videos that explain the various stats to be a little lackluster. They are very short videos and I just didn't get enough out of them to understand some of the states. For example I don't understand peak hand speed still. It sounds like my peak hand speed is late, which I would think means it's after contact? But that's where I need more understanding for example.

Setup: Setup was insanely easy. Create an account, charge the sensor and follow the onscreen directions. I had a firmware upgrade that took all of 2 minutes to install. I love the "wireless charging dock" that comes with the sensor.

The App: Overall it seems really solid, in fact it's got so much, it's a little overwhelming at first. The first thing that happens is you are taken to a Dashboard which has it defaulted to a putting section. I immediately switched the drop down on the top to Full Swing. I definitely want to use this for putting, but I wanted to see what full swing is all about first. It takes you to a dashboard that has a getting started section with 3 short videos to explain the basics, hand speed, attack angle and how swing tempo effect your distance control. From there you can explore more videos, go to the "Training Center" or "Just Swing".

Full Swing – First off, it measures the following: Swing Speed, Peak Hand Speed, Swing Tempo (ratio of downswing vs. backswing), Backswing Time, Downswing Time, Attack Angle, Total Swing Time.

There are essentially 3 modes or ways to evaluate your Full Swing performance. You switch the modes by adjusting the "Metric Layouts" section within your practice session, or what they like to call "Just Swing"

• Tempo Training - It puts all the emphasis on your backswing time to downswing time. It wants you to be around 2.5:1 to 3.1:1. Meaning if you take .65 to .85 seconds in your backswing, your downswing time should be around .23 to .32 seconds. If you hit the ratio you get a “ding” and green. You still get Swing Speed, Peak Hand Speed, Attack Angle and Total Swing time displayed within this “Metric Choice”
  • View attachment 9051686
  • Speed Training – The focus here in order to get your celebratory *ding* is all peak hand speed, and as an 18 handicap I can’t get this mf’r green. I don’t get how do produce this correctly. I’m always late or slightly late, which from all my research will result in a slice or push slice. NOT SHOCKING, because that is my miss; however, I’ve been very unsuccessful in being able to figure this out and I think this might be where my biggest gains could be had. I just can’t seem to find a video that allows me to understand or grasp this fully. Again all other metrics mentioned above will be displayed within this training module still.
  • View attachment 9051687
  • Attack Angle – Pretty self-explanatory, I will say one thing throws me off with this though. I consistently get “Down” and the celebratory ding here, but very rarely do I seem to get a green alongside my “Down”, so it indicates to me that my attack angle is not steep enough, but I haven’t been able to find an actual measurement. It just says DOWN, so I’m not entirely sure if I’m too steep or too shallow?
  • View attachment 9051688
Initial Thoughts: Lots more to come on this, because I haven’t even looked at putting or short game yet where I think this will really get good in regards to tempo. Overall I’m really impressed with the amount of data and ease of use this little gadget has brought on though. I have found the sensor to be accurate. Does it miss some swings? Yes, it misses probably one out of ten, but nothing ridiculously annoying. I’ve had no sync issues whatsoever and connection seems to be great. LOADS of data here, but overall I’m still trying to process it all. I question it’s want and desire for tempo for example. I always thought tempo was more particular to a player and I’m not really sure why it has to fall in those ratios? For example I can’t imagine the pros don’t have wildly different tempos?

I haven't even tapped into the drills and such yet, so I just have so much more to do in this app.

Nitpicking. I don’t love having to take the sensor in and out of the mount to charge it. It’s minor, but it’s not super easy to get in and out of that plastic mount and so there is a little bit of a setup time there. The mount isn’t ultra-snug so it does rotate and has to be adjusted from time to time. I find the videos that explain the various stats to be a little lackluster. They are very short videos and I just didn't get enough out of them to understand some of the states. For example I don't understand peak hand speed still. It sounds like my peak hand speed is late, which I would think means it's after contact? But that's where I need more understanding for example.
Good write up here. I'm hoping mine comes in today so that I can set it up and try it out this weekend. I'm not very fond of practicing putting or the short game all that much so I'm hoping something like this will make it more enjoyable to be able to see the data and what I need to work on. For full shots I think the attack angle should help out quite a bit as I tend to be very steep. Hoping this will help a lot with the driver where I tend to hover from a negative attack angle to 0 instead of hitting up on the ball.

• View attachment 9051686
  • View attachment 9051687
  • View attachment 9051688

Very nice initial thoughts. I’ve owned one for a year now. Originally wasn’t impressed. There is a lot more info available from it now than then. I’m just now getting back to using it. Hoping that you alls review will give me the incentive to dig in a use it properly.

Following closely to this. I just got one as well. Only had time to mess around with putting this far. When I entered in my handicaps to set the goal, my tempo looks to consistently fall within the goal range. What I found interesting is that I’m red with backstroke time and forward stroke time. Seems I’m too slow compared to what the goal is 🤷‍♂️ Never thought I had a slow stroke. When I force myself to get in the green it just seems super quick. But what do I know (17hdcp).

It definitely is addicting to try and get the numbers green. But very difficult.

Mine came in so I went ahead and got the initial set up done. As @V14_Heels said it's a pretty quick and easy process. Download the app and create an account. Plug in the wireless charging pad and set the sensor on it to charge. I ate lunch and then took the sensor off to pair with the app. It pops up your camera to scan the QR code and then tells you to hold then sensor with the blast motion label facing down and every two seconds you turn it over for two seconds and then back. It also shows you how along with the 2 seconds to make it easy. It paired after 2 or 3 times.

That's as far as I've gotten so far. Hoping to get out of work in time to go hit the putting range to try it out some tonight and will do more tomorrow after our MGA Breakfast Scramble in the morning.

So I think I posted mine in the wrong thread earlier, but it has arrived. 20211210_094412.jpg20211210_094604.jpg20211210_095314.jpg

Side note, I can use the charger for my cell phone, score!!

I spent about 15 minutes putting back and forth on my bedroom carpet this afternoon. I wasn't concerned with distance but focused on trying to take it back the same amount each strike as well as working on tempo. I think I'm going to go about it this way all winter. Work on tempo and changing backstroke distance each session. Once I can get on a real green, I'll work on dialing in backstroke distance to putt distance, but tempo should be solid by then.

Putting: Unfortunately, my putting experience wasn't great. I'm sure I've got some sort of user error going on, but the sensor was synced properly, but it was reading about 1 out of 10 putts? Anyone got any tips? I loved the data I got on those putts, I have great tempo, and my face control appears to be very good as well, but I do appear to be increasing loft a bit which I find interesting. However, it's pretty tough when your only getting a read for 1 out of 10 putts.

Tinkered with mine a bit yesterday afternoon. Had time to hit about 20 shots with a 6 iron. First the setup was easy and fairly intuitive. The box said to charge the sensor for 1.5 hours so I did that. It said download the app. I did that and created an account when prompted. Easy peasy!

Did all this when the box arrived. Later in the day I stuck the sensor in the holder and attached it to my 6 iron. I selected 6 iron from my clubs menu on the app, scanned the sensor, and went outside with several balls in hand.

Upon realizing which screen showed the tempo bar I was ready to go. I hit 4 balls and then checked the tempo. I was close on the 2 I hit well and too fast on the other 2.

When I chased down those 4 and tried to hit them again I actively tried to speed up my through swing and this made things worse. What I realized after about 12 balls was that try to think nice easy swing and I get close to the tempo. Try to think my back swing needs to be 2.7 times my through swing and that is too much for my brain.

One interesting note is I hit a few balls with the ball above my feet and this had a pretty drastic effect on my tempo. It lowered the ratio of back to through way too low. I realized I was chopping down super quick on these shots probably due to balance and kind of swinging from my heels. On the last ball from that stance I really focused on getting my weight above the balls of my feet and staying there. Voila, tempo back in order.

Maybe my one big takeaway from the first 20 swings is that tempo problems could be a sign something else is off. More to come. I still need to watch the video explaining the metrics as I was not sure what all of them meant.

Back