Blast Motion Golf Swing & Putting Analyzer Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Great write up -

The article mentions that there might be too much data. Will the app easily guide you to the most glaring weakness(es) that you would need to work on, or is it more self diagnosis?

For example, after a few putts does it let you know to work on your backstroke, or do you have to dig through the data to find that your backstroke is crap?

Either way, it looks like a useful tool. Subscribing to the thread to see if others have had success.

Great write up -

The article mentions that there might be too much data. Will the app easily guide you to the most glaring weakness(es) that you would need to work on, or is it more self diagnosis?

For example, after a few putts does it let you know to work on your backstroke, or do you have to dig through the data to find that your backstroke is crap?

Either way, it looks like a useful tool. Subscribing to the thread to see if others have had success.

The app shows you what you did and where that relates to your goal. Your goal numbers can be adjusted personally by you, or they come preset by Blast and you can see where you relate to their numbers.

So I don’t recall what my goal numbers are but this screenshot shows what you can be looking at while you make your strokes. Next to each name, tempo, backstroke time, rotation change, will have a colored dot after you make a stroke. Green is good and red is bad (and IIRC yellow is close/decent).

0f20d6949e23c0cf0eaeaaec6853447a.jpg

This is what you can look at after a session. You can go back and look at each individual stroke. However, it doesn’t tell you if it was good or bad like the live shot update. If there is a way to see this, I haven’t figured it out yet...lol

96c86283d27c63da4bfd8a3c4ef7ce62.jpg

29c49090b7685ed0267c668270595998.jpg

So the second photo, the 2.5:1 would have had a red dot next to the tempo after I made the stroke on the first photo’s page in the app.

Nice write up Dean. I agree with your sentiments about the amount of data. I feel like I have just scratched the surface with what all this product does.

Great review Dean. While I don't see this as a product I would use, I can see beginners or those who have developed some inconsistencies with their putting, could see some benefit from this device.

Looking at the pictures, the actual device looks like it doesn't set flush on the butt end of the grip. Is that due more to the grip shape on the putter or the "sleeve" being too small?

Great review Dean. While I don't see this as a product I would use, I can see beginners or those who have developed some inconsistencies with their putting, could see some benefit from this device.

Looking at the pictures, the actual device looks like it doesn't set flush on the butt end of the grip. Is that due more to the grip shape on the putter or the "sleeve" being too small?

After experiencing blast last year, you’d be surprised at how addictive the information can be, not only from a personal perspective but showing others as well. It’s a riot and extremely helpful.

Diving into this review soon. Looking forward to your thoughts Dean!

After experiencing blast last year, you’d be surprised at how addictive the information can be, not only from a personal perspective but showing others as well. It’s a riot and extremely helpful.

I’m a pretty good putter and I want one so bad I can’t stand it still.

The app shows you what you did and where that relates to your goal. Your goal numbers can be adjusted personally by you, or they come preset by Blast and you can see where you relate to their numbers.

So I don’t recall what my goal numbers are but this screenshot shows what you can be looking at while you make your strokes. Next to each name, tempo, backstroke time, rotation change, will have a colored dot after you make a stroke. Green is good and red is bad (and IIRC yellow is close/decent).

0f20d6949e23c0cf0eaeaaec6853447a.jpg

This is what you can look at after a session. You can go back and look at each individual stroke. However, it doesn’t tell you if it was good or bad like the live shot update. If there is a way to see this, I haven’t figured it out yet...lol

96c86283d27c63da4bfd8a3c4ef7ce62.jpg

29c49090b7685ed0267c668270595998.jpg

So the second photo, the 2.5:1 would have had a red dot next to the tempo after I made the stroke on the first photo’s page in the app.

Cool - thanks for the screen shots and explanations.

The sleeve is my biggest gripe of this product. It is THE BIGGEST PAIN to install “perfectly” on a putter grip. It’s the main reason I just left the sleeve installed for the longest time once I got it on a second time.

I’ll install on my Lamkin Skinny later today and see if I can’t get it more flush, but I think that as long as you have the little man correctly oriented it won’t matter if the sensor itself is touching the top of your grip. It is a very snug and secure connection.

It really is addictive. Especially when you make what you think is a good putt only to realize it was not as good as you wanted, so the next one you start to really focus on making a good one.

I too find myself telling people about it all the time out on the course. Then opening the app and showing them the metrics one can see for each putt. I think this product is absolutely something to be used at all levels of skill, not just beginners

Super addicting, but also the instant illustration of whta trying with different shapes, sizes, and weighting could do to potentially help their game.

Great write up -

SlimJim mentioned it, but they give you a goal(which you can adjust to fit your comfort spot). It doesn't shout out anything like "speed up dummy" or anything like that. By knowing what the goal you are shooting for is, be it backstroke time, face rotation, tempo, users will have an idea because of the instany audbile feedback that comes from the phone.

My too much data remark is set based on some of the screens that basically show you everything and for a first time user can be overwhelming. It is why I really like that they baked drills and lesson plans in to the app to help golfers build towards their goals, instead of just saying "here achieve this." Similar to what someone would see on a launch monitor if they are using it for the first time. We all have the basic data points we are looking at, but there are way more columns that are there with numbers to look at.

With that grip, I needed to used the smaller adapter, which makes it more tight. It's really meant more for a non-putter grip. The clear one is just way to big and loose on that grip and I would have to re-position the sensor way too often. That one did work well on the other grips I mentioned in the article though.

If anyone happened to see my reviews on the Stroke Lab Marxman, I used the Blast Motion sensor a lot to track my progress and how the different putters would compare.

I am going to attach a few pictures below on what your goals, you set up, look like. I really use the sensor to work on two major items and this really works. I use the sensor for improving my Tempo (2:1) and my rotation change (goal of less than 1 degree open or closed).

Tempo Goals
88f0964dfa3ca8cd05905c3ace1a4ea6.jpg

Rotation Change Goals
e94fa63ad7fddcabeb8693e8575c21f1.jpg

Most of what you see in the videos and covered above are the putting features. However, the sensor also has other features that all golfers could deep dive into. One area is using the sensor on your woods, irons, and wedges. Working on your tempo with all your shots will improve your consistency and help improve your full golf game. This area I really need to work on. My Tempo is not consistent.

Two other areas of the Blast Sensor are Blast Connect and Blast Vision. I have not used these areas yet. The app has a really good camera feature that will record your shots and automatically separate them into each swing. It's really cool to look back and see what your good shots look like and what your bad shots look like. With Blast Connect you should be able to save all of this data on a dashboard for future viewing, plus the connect feature should give you access to see and help golfers analyze yours and their swings if wanted. You can post a video of yourself and have the community give tips on improvement. I can see how some may or may not like this type of critique.

The last feature is the Blast Vision. You can actually set up your camera to track your full shots and get a very limited distance monitor. The app will capture your swing and tell you your launch angle, ball speed, and expected total yardage. It is limited as I said, but you do get a video of your swing in slow motion to see yourself for each swing. Again, the camera feature breaks each swing out separately. You can do the same thing as earlier with Connect and post the video and get swing tips or just save for future viewing again.

The Blast Sensor is one of the best things I have purchased to try and help my golf swing. Yea, I need better coaching and more practice time, but the sensor does give you a way to help make your practice count. As others have posted the data can get addictive and trying to improve from each session can be a fun challenge.

This is what I was referring to earlier when I said that it will put dots next to the different data points. Color coded so you have an idea of if you were “good” (green) in a particular area, “close” (yellow) or “bad” (red). They have a window for what constitutes those results..how much above or below optimum you can be for different color marks, I don’t know.

08f19b98c8ba7f5636826516ebce65b6.jpg

@slimjim32 & @fuffle master question for you boys based on my usage....

Where I have really found this thing incredibly useful for me is on the short to medium range putt, say 20-25 feet. That is where I have met my comfort zone while practicing and when on the course. How do you boys like it while doing long lag putts? Trying to get more energy to the ball and still trying to keep that same tempo for me has been the challenge.

I used this on my Spider putter with the blast motion and was blown away from all the data and insight it gives. I was frustrated with not making a ton of putts when I had moved to this and all was pretty good except for the face rotation was showing i was anywhere from .5 to 1.5* shut at impact on putts varying in length. Using this it allowed me to focus on some key stroke thoughts and started to see improvements fairly quickly on the course.

I used this on my Spider putter with the blast motion and was blown away from all the data and insight it gives. I was frustrated with not making a ton of putts when I had moved to this and all was pretty good except for the face rotation was showing i was anywhere from .5 to 1.5* shut at impact on putts varying in length. Using this it allowed me to focus on some key stroke thoughts and started to see improvements fairly quickly on the course.

I'm a big fan of the instant feedback. We constantly hear how shaping up your short game and making putts is the way to lower the scores, which is why I'm a believer in this product. Helps us figure out what to work on and how to improve in areas of the stroke that we probably aren't even thinking about.

Question for those using this: how do you use this in terms of making sure your alignment and set up is correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@slimjim32 & @fuffle master question for you boys based on my usage....

Where I have really found this thing incredibly useful for me is on the short to medium range putt, say 20-25 feet. That is where I have met my comfort zone while practicing and when on the course. How do you boys like it while doing long lag putts? Trying to get more energy to the ball and still trying to keep that same tempo for me has been the challenge.

I absolutely hate it when doing long putts. My tempo is WWWWAAAAAAYYYYY off because I take the putter back slower, thus resulting in a bad number or two...so it is REALLY frustrating trying to get the tempo good for longer putts as it goes against all my (personal) comfortable feel

Question for those using this: how do you use this in terms of making sure your alignment and set up is correct?

When I use it indoors, I set up my PuttOut and then take a laser level to make sure that where I set the ball is properly lined up with the PuttOut. Sometimes I use my indoor putting plate but not always.

On an outdoor putting green I either find a straight putt or I find a breaking putt that I know breaks x amount and mark the ball spot with either a tee or a gate.

But in reality, depending on what you are focusing on data wise, you can kind of just setup to any putt and make the stroke.

@Alez367 if you want to check it out in person and mess with it, let me know. I’ll meet you somewhere and you can have a go with it for a while. Only thing is, the device is registered to my phone/app. So until I figure out how to allow others to use the device without my phone, I’ll have to be with you

When I use it indoors, I set up my PuttOut and then take a laser level to make sure that where I set the ball is properly lined up with the PuttOut. Sometimes I use my indoor putting plate but not always.

On an outdoor putting green I either find a straight putt or I find a breaking putt that I know breaks x amount and mark the ball spot with either a tee or a gate.

But in reality, depending on what you are focusing on data wise, you can kind of just setup to any putt and make the stroke.

@Alez367 if you want to check it out in person and mess with it, let me know. I’ll meet you somewhere and you can have a go with it for a while. Only thing is, the device is registered to my phone/app. So until I figure out how to allow others to use the device without my phone, I’ll have to be with you

Sounds good man. Maybe stadium got their act together and the greens are maintained again. Would love to try this out for a bit.

Another really strong putting performance again yesterday on a course I've only played once before. Love what this has done for me.

Another really strong putting performance again yesterday on a course I've only played once before. Love what this has done for me.

Great writeup on the initial review Dean! How much time would you say you are spending per week training with the Blast Motion?

Great writeup on the initial review Dean! How much time would you say you are spending per week training with the Blast Motion?

sorry for the delayed response, was enjoying the beach life last week.

When I first started I was just toying around and doing little quick sessions, but then I started focusing more on longer practice times, which I found way more helpful.

Hello!!

20211210_094412.jpg

Back