Blended Sets: What do you think of them?

I really like the idea of a blended/combo set, but I've never actually put one into play. I do own the Apex 19 Smoke Combo Set but it hasn't seen grass yet.
I do think they are becoming less and less necessary due to some modern irons having progressive CGs, and plenty of tech is being squeezed into smaller irons these days.

I think they are usually a vanity play. Guys want some blades (or small iron of any type) in the bag but know they can't do them justice in the long irons....so viola! Combo set!

On the other hand, the fact that I use a 3 & 4 hybrid means I'm already using a combo set of sorts I guess.

I first started playing blended sets with the titleist 731pm 15 years ago and continues to this days. Current set is ap2 long irons and 620 mb mid/short irons. The blended set just makes so much sense forgiveness and shot making where you need it.

I like the concept, in any split.

For example, a progressive 8 club Srixon set split in 2’s would be fun:

U85 in the 3i/4i
585 in the 5i/6i
785 in the 7i/8i
Z-F in the 9i/W

I’m a fan. I like more forgiveness and help in the 4, 5 spots.

We blend hybrids with fairway woods. Specialize our wedges. Why not custom tailor our irons as well.
I have been playing or tinkering with a blended set for the past few years. Blade style in the lower down to the GW and SGI in the long irons. It can be tough to work the lofts in correctly but it can pay dividends.
I recently found a set of irons that I can play up to the 4 iron so I have moved away from a blended set. But I certainly can see a place for them going forward.
9d968687c56f8f5b5750020655e08e16.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

We’ve seen guys on tour go to a more forgiving long iron and blend sets so why not us average Joe’s? I can’t see myself in a blended set at the moment, but as my game improves and I get in the market for new irons I would have zero problems rocking a blended set. I personally love the route Mizuno went with the MP and JPX lines in how well they can be blended. I’m even going to venture that it will become the norm for anyone getting fit will be fitted into a blended set of irons.

I like them. They make sense. I think in the not too distant future they'll no longer even be referred to as 'blended' sets. They'll be the norm and everything that isn't will be described in some other way, or the sets that are basically designed blended will be the 'standard'.

Like the idea of having options for in-between players or players that like the look of blades and need help at the top end. I think it's cool I could play more aggressive irons in the low end while have forgiveness at the top.

It just makes sense. I would say the majority of your tour pros are blending in some fashion.

I really like the idea of a blended/combo set of irons and think we will see this more and more going forward. I’m currently using a combo set and am very glad I decided to build my set they way I did. Only 3 rounds in with them but couldn’t be happier

I really like the idea of a blended/combo set of irons and think we will see this more and more going forward. I’m currently using a combo set and am very glad I decided to build my set they way I did. Only 3 rounds in with them but couldn’t be happier
It’s just fun. Let’s most of us play scoring clubs we wouldn’t dream in a full set, but still keep the rest of the set playable.

Tommy Fleetwood is a pro that has completely embraced the idea of the blended set.

tm woods, (with a ping thrown in there for testing) some srixon irons at the top, a gapr, taylormade p-7tw irons, last I checked SM8 wedges and an odyssey putter.

1589688932299.jpeg

Looking at this thread and also looking at the thread about Adams being under appreciated gives Adams a positive vote to me. My second (extra) set is a set of Adams a12os, Blended! Cavity back, hollow body and hybrids, and they had several similar sets over the years. Almost looks like some of the others are really playing catch up instead of being innovators. Best round I ever played was with a set of these clubs.

Absolutely ALL IN on blended sets.

I recently put together and extremely interesting combo set which so far is the best thing since sliced bread. Basically I've got Callaway X Forged UT irons in 21, 24, 27, 30, then follow up with Apex 8, 9, PW. Just shot a tied personal best with the set yesterday and couldn't be more pleased with them.

I had a combo/blended set a few years ago - same oem, different models. I hated it...but not because it was a combo set but because of how the long irons looked at address. Oh well. My best friend has a CB/MB combo set and it is dope as hell. I wish I had the stones (and game) to pull the trigger on a set like that.

I like the idea. Not sure if Id do it or not. Have to try it out and see how it feels. @NVGOLFER80 golfer mentioned competent fitter required and this I believe would be key.

With the discussion @Canadan and I had in the Mizuno MP20 Range Days episode as well as the ongoing talk in the the thread this morning with @JB and @NVGOLFER80 it got me thinking about the reception of the blended set.

It seems to be a real trend now, but Im genuinely curious what people’s opinions on the blended set is?

I am doing it with a blend of Mizuno HMP and 919F - 4-6i in HMP with 6i weakened by 1 deg, 7-PW in 919F. Changing up shafts - 70g Accra in 4-5i, Accra Constant Weight 85 in 6-PW

Sometiimes, I will use the 919F 5-6i, sometimes not. Gotta be feeling it.

Last edited:
I like the idea. Not sure if Id do it or not. Have to try it out and see how it feels. @NVGOLFER80 golfer mentioned competent fitter required and this I believe would be key.
I think that depends. Granted you could say competent fitter required for any club, but with companies designing flow/blended sets now it’s not a much a must imo.

I love the MP-20s blades in my SEL set. I hate the HMBs in it. The 3 and 4 iron just never felt right to me.

Rickie blends with some super game improvement irons in the top of the bag.. Also, I really really want those dark copper blades and some custom ferrules...

That may be one of the most gorgeous irons ever..

1589808757290.png

Ricky Fowler is playing blended irons......

Ricky Fowler is playing blended irons......

Yes, in the most dramatic fashion. I am not sure there are two irons that could be more dissimilar than those speedback irons and RF blades.

If they blend well, no problem at all...which for me visually is a huge thing too. There aren't many companies out there right now that can visually pull it off for me.

I have though about going to a blended set and the more I learn on here about them the more it intrigues me. Mizuno is the one that stands out as the front runner.

Back