Blessing in disguise?

doc53

Reaction score
Handicap
+1.5
Recently had an injury that may turn out to be a blessing. Some background info first. I am 67, have worn the same clothing sizes my entire adult life, moderately active. I played a lot of junior golf, state champion, college golf in the old Big 8 Conference. I quit golf at age 25 and just started again at 65.

Now when I am on the golf course, my mind tells me I am still a youngster. One or two swings and I head to the 1st tee. I actually was hitting the ball much farther at 65 than I did back in 1978. I have never had an injury that compromised my golf swing.

That changed about 6 weeks ago. I was hitting my tee shot on a driveable par 4 with a 3 wood. Took my normal swing and right before impact something popped in my groin and the pain knocked me to my knees. I actually finished the round but by hitting baby shots. Turns out to be a right groin pull.

I took a couple weeks off. Came back and tried to hit step-through shots a la Gary Player. Had trouble making decent contact. Last few weeks played by "chipping" everything including a driver off the deck for tee shots; very little leg involvement.

Last week my chiropractor gave me the green light for full swings if I took it easy. I have been swing full but at 75% velocity for me. Now the good part is that 75% velocity still produces about 90-95% distance. My club head control is better than I can ever remember. I can more easily move the ball either direction. Much more roll-out on tee shots if I want it. Accuracy off the charts (for me). I don't plan to increase swing speed again except for rare situations. I feel like I would have been so much better off for the last 2 years had I had the sense to slow my swing down when I started playing again. Maybe would not have injured myself to boot.

Possibly my tale can be of use to some of you as you approach my age?

Sorry about the injury, glad you got past it and found a good swing hack that is working better for you.

Nothing better than a good chiropractor!!!! Glad you are back to normal.

I am 65 and have sustained a few golf injuries thinking I was 25 and not 65. I am in decent shape, walk 99% of my rounds. I have given up on chasing distance, as that can lead to an injury...I just play the senior tees now and distance isn't an issue.

Not quite 65, but staring at 47 in a week or so... Pulled a hamstring trying to water ski (its like riding a bike my boatmates said, you're so close to getting up my boatmates said, just one more try those a$$holes said) and sat out about 6 weeks. First tee swing a week or so ago and swung easy and hit beautiful little draw right down the middle. The rest were a little wonky left and right (good contact just left & right) same with irons. Short game definitely liked the reset. No chunks or skulls. Popped it over bunkers and hit my marks pretty well. Putter was ok too, just didn't get anything to drop.

I can't imagine having been so accomplished in the game and leaving it for 40 years... :eek:

Last edited:
Oof! Sorry to hear of your injury and I hope you're recovery is total. Good to hear about your swing change. Hope it continues to work for you

@ doc53 I wonder if you were using your adductors during the transition to the downswing instead of the abductors which are on the outside of the leg/hip. The feeling is pressing both legs against the side of a barrel while rotating the left hip around and behind the right hip. We older golfers need to be techniquely correct in our movements in order to avoid injury.

@ doc53 I wonder if you were using your adductors during the transition to the downswing instead of the abductors which are on the outside of the leg/hip. The feeling is pressing both legs against the side of a barrel while rotating the left hip around and behind the right hip. We older golfers need to be techniquely correct in our movements in order to avoid injury.

I possibly was stressing the wrong muscles by not using others. My chiropractor is adjusting the back of my pelvis to correct some imbalance. Also I am now keeping my knees farther apart during my swing; I noticed I had become a little knock-kneed in my set-up.

First off: I am sorry to hear that you were injured playing the "other" beautiful game.

Second: you have discovered (IMO) the "golden ticket" to the golf swing. The pro I took lessons from proved to me that you can hit a golf ball farther by taking what feels like a half swing compared to swinging as hard as you can all out. For those golfers who fight directional control, flexibility issues or just struggle in general I would challenge each and every one to hit 10 shots on the range. 5 where they feel like their arms stop when they get to parallel and 5 where they swing like normal. I would bet that contact, flight and distance are all better in the first condition.

Third: you might be a candidate for a Theragun!

I possibly was stressing the wrong muscles by not using others. My chiropractor is adjusting the back of my pelvis to correct some imbalance. Also I am now keeping my knees farther apart during my swing; I noticed I had become a little knock-kneed in my set-up.
you need to stay knocked kneed at address and twist your hips slightly left to tighten the backswing coil and make it easier to uncoil. The arms swing back against the knees with the upper legs rotating clockwise. The lower right leg stays in place throughout.
If you have your Kees separated at address they will lead to the inside adductors fireing during transition when they need to fire at impact.

Last edited:
Glad the injury is allowing you to continue playing golf.

I will be 68 in about 6 weeks. Same thing as you found out. A slower swing equaled a little less distance, but better accuracy.

I have a few aches, and pains, but nothing major. Pretty sure that would change for the worst if I tried swinging out of my shoes to regain that lost distance.

I've found much the same - a 75% swing (in both velocity and length) yields close to, if not better, results than a full swing. I'm not very flexible, and when I coil back to take a true "full" swing, it breaks down because I end up involving a lot more moving parts to compensate for my lack of flexibility. With a shorter, easier swing I hit the sweet spot more often and deliver the clubface to the ball more consistently. The hardest part is constantly reminding myself not to take that "caveman" swing trying to murder the ball!

Sorry to hear about your injury, but it does sound like a blessing in disguise. Less, simpler, smoother, better. Good stuff. (y)

I'm also 67. I used to think I was younger. I used to really get after it. I also had injuries. This year I worked on swing plane and tempo. I also tried to swing relaxed like Els. Once I'm warmed up I can play like a mid-handicap player for 9 holes. No injuries. It's too late for my back, though. To go 18 I need to load up on Tylenol at the start and pop Ibuprofen at the turn. Can't do that anymore. Doctor's orders. I can only take the Tylenol and that doesn't last me the full 18. So maybe I just play 9 and enjoy it. I can play off a 13 HC for 9 holes. It's that back 9 that kills me. I can usually gut out one of the last 4 holes, but most are disasters.

I'll be 63 next month and used to swing out of my shoes on most shots.
But....a few years ago, my knees really started to deteriorate and the docs all said the only thing they could do was full replacement.
Well, I didn't want to go that route yet but I also didn't like the knee pain when swinging as hard as I did.
So...I started riding in a cart and softened and smoothed my swing to some degree. While my distances went down a little, my accuracy increased.
I've held a ghin between 4 and 6 for the last 5 years (5.5 right now) since those swing changes.
I'm going to get both knees replaced this winter so I can rehab while the snow is on the ground and hopefully be back to walking the courses again.
That may help my ball distances a little as well.

I just saw this thread because I am going through the same thing. I got my simulator up and running and have been trying to increase SS and technique, but I woke up the other day and my groin was absolutely killing me. I have been icing it, and resting it, and it is slowly feeling better. I think it could be an abductor strain(or at least that is what Dr. Google says). I have a lesson booked on Saturday, and a tee time on Sunday, but I don't know if I will be able to make either of them. Getting old sucks big time!

Maybe some compression shorts will help me be able to play?

I just saw this thread because I am going through the same thing. I got my simulator up and running and have been trying to increase SS and technique, but I woke up the other day and my groin was absolutely killing me. I have been icing it, and resting it, and it is slowly feeling better.

Sorry to hear that. I ignored weakness and discomfort in my groin area for weeks before the pop and tear event. I'm glad you are addressing your soreness now before it could have become something more serious.

As a follow-up, I was able to swing mostly normally by late summer. I shot my age twice in Oct and Nov before the snows came. I have never measured swing speeds or spins or any of that stuff that golfers do now, but I feel I am swinging with less effort than in the past even allowing for my age.

I was able to go to my gym all winter (My gym time was limited the previous year due to the pandemic). I mostly worked on leg and core strength and flexibility. No problems through the rounds on the few nice days we have had so far. We will see how it works out this summer. I am hoping to play in several state-wide Senior events this year for the first time.

Sorry to hear that. I ignored weakness and discomfort in my groin area for weeks before the pop and tear event. I'm glad you are addressing your soreness now before it could have become something more serious.

As a follow-up, I was able to swing mostly normally by late summer. I shot my age twice in Oct and Nov before the snows came. I have never measured swing speeds or spins or any of that stuff that golfers do now, but I feel I am swinging with less effort than in the past even allowing for my age.

I was able to go to my gym all winter (My gym time was limited the previous year due to the pandemic). I mostly worked on leg and core strength and flexibility. No problems through the rounds on the few nice days we have had so far. We will see how it works out this summer. I am hoping to play in several state-wide Senior events this year for the first time.

I have been going to the gym all winter too, and I have been working out through a sore groin. I really feel it on the rowing machine and lunges, but I have kept going like an idiot. I am now taking the week off of the HIIT training, and swinging a club. I do want to go out this weekend and play though.:ROFLMAO:

Back