Blisters on hands

Crapgame

Reaction score
Not sure if this goes here or was better suited for the equipment forum, but I've always had issues with blisters if I hit a bunch of balls (whether I play a round afterwards or not). They tend to form on my left hand (I'm RH), even though I wear a glove on it.

Is it a hand grip issue, a club grip issue or possibly a combination of both?

FWIW, I get the blisters on my hand right below my ring and pinky finger on my left hand and occasionally get one on the inside of my left index finger.

I used to get blisters in the same, or close to, spots too. I changed gloves to ones made from cabretta leather and I haven’t had blisters since. It could be a glove issue for ya but other than that, I haven’t changed anything else so I couldn’t give any other insight. Hope you figure it out because blisters are awful while trying to golf!

If changing gloves doesn't help, try a small patch of moleskin over the area with the blisters.

It doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

Here’s Alex Noren’s hands:

1594265816342.jpeg

And Viktor Hovland’s:

1594265848576.png

Mine get pretty torn up during the off season when I spend hours on the range, multiple days a week. Especially since it’s windy and the air is dryer in the winter.

It doesn’t necessarily mean anything.

Here’s Alex Noren’s hands:

View attachment 8952552

And Viktor Hovland’s:

View attachment 8952553

Mine get pretty torn up during the off season when I spend hours on the range, multiple days a week. Especially since it’s windy and the air is dryer in the winter.
It's a good thing that Alex Noren is a decent golfer, because he doesn't have much of a future career as a hand model! :LOL:

Callouses are normal if you play and practice enough. Blisters indicate a grip issue. Glove shouldn't really matter.
Make sure the grip is sitting in the row of knuckles just above the pad of your hand. If it's in there correctly, you shouldn't get blisters, even with corded grips and no glove. Not too tight on the pressure. Club should feel balanced in your hands. (y)

It's a good thing that Alex Noren is a decent golfer, because he doesn't have much of a future career as a hand model! :LOL:

kGvHq4.gif

If changing gloves doesn't help, try a small patch of moleskin over the area with the blisters.

Proactive bandaids seem to help

Blister are cause by the grip slipping on club handle. That's what I have been told anyways. At any rate blisters are caused by friction, which is caused some sort of rubbing of the skin against something.

I use to get them on both hands, at the base of my fingers, even while wearing two gloves, until I firmed up my grip a little.

Not only did my blisters go away, my ball flights became a little straighter because the club face wasn't turning (deflecting) very much at impact.

I suspect, like a lot golfers, I took that analogy of holding the club like I was holding a fragile, small bird to literally. My grip was too loose.

Maybe I should start wearing a glove,
20200709_135730.jpg

I'd lighten your grip; I don't wear a glove and have only minimal callouses at the base of my ring and 5th finger on the left hand only. If your hands sweat a lot inside gloves, that would surely contribute.

Golfer's tape is a wonderful thing. I've been hitting a ton of balls to get my game back in shape as I've recently returned to playing, and it has truly made long range sessions bearable by eliminating blisters.

Cheers

I would say that most of the pro hands shown above are more callous like, which would lead me to believe that it's from a ton of practice, not slipping. So you may need to have someone look at your grip, and your release to make sure you don't need to make a change to allow yourself more practice time, and less pain. I know when I changed my release, I started getting callouses, less glove wear, and fewer blisters. 🤷‍♂️

Two other things:
  1. GRIPS: What grips you playing? I used to use GolfPride Multi-Compound and they would tear your hands to shreds. They also didn't last very long at all. They aren't cheap either. My Switch: A couple years ago, I switched to 100% rubber grip made by Tour-G, in the 50 compound. It's just as firm, lasts 10x longer, and doesn't cause blisters as much. Now, here's the rub...you have to find someone who sells them, or venture on to Global Rakuten and have faith that your order from Japan will actually arrive. It will. There are a couple companies to get them from, and I must say, it was a bit nerve racking, but the people were responsive and super nice. Just a bit of a language barrier. 😉 I've ordered them at least four times for different builds I've done.
  2. Grip Pressure: What others have said. How you release the club and swing can have a massive impact on the hands. An early release will put added pressure on your hands and cause blisters. If you grip the club more in your palm vs. fingers then you will get odd blisters or glove wear marks.

I usually get some seriously callouses, no biggie.. but today damn...

This is my bday week of golf. Playing some amazing Tampa courses back to back.. I practice rounded yesterday and today... Tomorrow is Saddlebrook, Friday Jovita, Monday Islands @ Innisbrook, Tues Copperhead @ Innisbrook..

I'm worried because today on 5 I noticed a bad blister on my left ring finger between the two knuckles, by the back 9 it ripped and killed the rest of the round. Taylor Made did send me the wrong size tour gloves, which feel amazing, but is the minor slipping causing that?

Any cause help or remedies to help me get through the week will be MUCH appreciated.. I'm going to grab some Golfers tape in the AM from Dicks

I once read an interview with Sam Snead where the interviewer asked about the callouses on his hands. He showed the guy. No callouses. He claimed that if you got callouses, you were gripping the club wrong. I think tempo could also have something to do with it. If your transition from backswing to downswing is really abrupt and quick, I think that could contribute.

It was 100% the glove that was a little too big..

2 tight bandaids and golf tape worked like a CHARM for 3-4 straight days with a fully raw ripped blister. Healed perfectly as well

Our hands are different. When I started out, I got blisters, but I was gripping way too hard. I don't even wear gloves now and my hands have built up to my grip pressure. If I were to simply swing for hours on a range, I am sure it would damage/blister my hands. My hands hold up better than my body does :ROFLMAO:

Not sure why you have a hole in the middle of it, but #respectthepaw

I have similar, sans hole.
Just the callous cracked, doing some major wrenching at work when I snapped that photo.

don't believe i have ever gotten blisters from golfing.....driving fence posts; yep

I used to get blisters and big calluses. I improved and lightened my "death" grip. No issues since regardless of glove or how much I hit.

Now yard work and other hands-on labor ... I just gave myself a nice blister this evening. :D

I have a noticeable bump in my hand, 2 inches below my index finger. My doc called it nodules. Not sure if it is from golf or just old age. He said, don't worry about it.

Back