Luchnia

You will never conquer golf.
Reaction score
Handicap
I know all you good golfers never have any blowup holes. Not too long ago I was playing a round on a fairly challenging course (at least for me) and I was doing what I thought was fairly good. Here is where things got crossed up and to this day I don't know what happened. When I got to the 17th hole Par 4, I completely blew up and lost all ability! It was as if I had just started playing golf that very day.

I hit the first ball off the tee only to go in the woods and the second one off to the right where I had to hit a safety to get back to the fairway. I hit the safety shot down into a gulley and had to drop a ball. I then pounded the ball way across the green to a ridiculous next shot.

Next, I think I would up 3 or 4 putting the hole. It was if an omninous cloud overshadowed me. Once I got to 18 I played it fine and all was well. The bad thing is I somehow wound up 10 strokes on that hole ruining my decent game. It was as if I went space cadet on that hole. I have heard guys say just step back and go through your pre-shot, stance, etc....none of that worked for me!

By the way, I am blaming that blowup hole on my age.

I am really really good at having blow up holes.

Blow up holes are my nemesis. It’s as if my brains gets ahead of myself and starts thinking ab posting a score and I lose focus on the current moment and current shot. The random double or triple bogey seems to always derail a promising day!

Blow up holes are my nemesis.

I can go from a great round to a garbage round so fast after just a couple holes. Snowman ⛄️ is the number I dread.

Especially, when I get in a deep bunker. Go from hitting three on the green (if I get out cleanly) to hitting five easily. Ugh

Does anyone know what happens when we have them?

For me it's a total brain fart from having the mental capability of a 4 year old at times.

I'd call anything over a double a blow up hole. My usual culprit that causes a blow up is the chunked greenside wedge.

Had a blowup last round where I made Triple on 11 but thankfully the next hole was a 155 Yard Par 3 and I hit an easy 7i to bounce back with Par. I was obviously annoyed and having a Par 3 next was key for me.

I'm good for one a round....never fails and it's like clockwork....forces me to scramble and save the round. I don't know how or why it happens, but it's really uncanny at this point.

I’m really good at blow up holes. I think the more I play the better I get at avoiding them. I don’t have an answer other the don’t let it get in your head. Laugh it off and move on to the next one. I think it’s just part of learning.

I know all you good golfers never have any blowup holes. Not too long ago I was playing a round on a fairly challenging course (at least for me) and I was doing what I thought was fairly good. Here is where things got crossed up and to this day I don't know what happened. When I got to the 17th hole Par 4, I completely blew up and lost all ability! It was as if I had just started playing golf that very day.

I hit the first ball off the tee only to go in the woods and the second one off to the right where I had to hit a safety to get back to the fairway. I hit the safety shot down into a gulley and had to drop a ball. I then pounded the ball way across the green to a ridiculous next shot.

Next, I think I would up 3 or 4 putting the hole. It was if an omninous cloud overshadowed me. Once I got to 18 I played it fine and all was well. The bad thing is I somehow wound up 10 strokes on that hole ruining my decent game. It was as if I went space cadet on that hole. I have heard guys say just step back and go through your pre-shot, stance, etc....none of that worked for me!

By the way, I am blaming that blowup hole on my age.

Good thing we have ESC to make sure the blow up hole doesn't hurt you too much. Golf is funny going blow up hole, blow up hole, birdie, then blow up hole.

Blow up holes are my jam!! LOL!

Never fails that I will have a few every time out. :ROFLMAO:

I always seem to have that 1 hole every round that really ruins what could be a good score.

I used to gauge how good a round was based on lost balls. Now, I count blow up holes. I'm good for about 2-3 a round. which is frustrating when I string 3-4 pars in a row then bam I hit a wall and start spraying it for a 8 or 9 on the next 2-3 holes.

It’s golf and happens to even good players. First day of our Club Championship and I’m sitting at even or +1 and hit a wedge too high into the wind on a par 3, it balloons and comes up short and rolls back into the water. Proceed to chunk my pitch into the water, hit again and 3 putt for an 8. Just have to try and learn from it and try and limit bad holes to a bogey or double as best we can.

Does anyone know what happens when we have them?
We all have them for different reasons but the underlying factor is, none of us are good enough to make a living at playing golf. We don't have the time to hit a 1000 shots a week and hire expensive coaches and trainers. We all just have to suck it up and take the blow up holes as they come. I have them every round and the next hole is all I think about when all is said and done.

For me they're generally the result of only two things. Lack of focus or bad decisions. I can typically survive one. Combine them and I'm obviously in need of the character building lesson I'm about to receive.

In my case I wouldn't exactly call them blow up holes, it would be more like disintegration of the hole. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I used to gauge how good a round was based on lost balls. Now, I count blow up holes. I'm good for about 2-3 a round. which is frustrating when I string 3-4 pars in a row then bam I hit a wall and start spraying it for a 8 or 9 on the next 2-3 holes.
This is me exactly. I can go on a 3-4 hole run where I actually look like I know what I'm doing (maybe even be under par for that stretch) and do a complete 180 and play like a 36+ handicap for 4 holes straight. It's maddening.

I've never found the cure-all for a blow up hole. I've played them angry, smart, dumb etc i just seems like the 8, 9, 10 is predestined... the reason why I'm a 20 cap. The worst part is the lagged effect and head shaking that occurs for the next couple of holes, that's the part I need to learn to control better, 40 years and I'm still learning.

This is me exactly. I can go on a 3-4 hole run where I actually look like I know what I'm doing (maybe even be under par for that stretch) and do a complete 180 and play like a 36+ handicap for 4 holes straight. It's maddening.

its amazing how quickly it happens, then goes away.

It’s rare that I don’t have at least one double or worse a round. Loss of concentration, bad shots, chunked chips or any combination of that and I’ve got a bad one. I particularly hate having a hole like that late in the round where i can’t bounce back.

I still have them. I really think you are just cruising along good and subconsciously it just happens. The thing is to try and make the next shot after the bad one playable and recover but it doesn't always work.

Back