Definitely. It's generally a bad tee shot and then getting stuck in trouble.

Sure do. I think my top culprits are not getting off the tee, resulting in lost balls or bad lies, and three putting.

Yes, once a round at least. Usually happens once the other boot drops per se. I’ll be behind a tree, try a smart punch out that shoots off the trunk or elevates too quick and my smart play goes south quick then I get a screw it attitude wanting to move on to the next and it just compounds from there.

Absolutely do and it is from a lack of commitment. I talk in the UST Mamiya Rivalry thread all the time about my streakiness. If I could have confidence and commitment I would easily be a single digit handicap.

There's this thing called tempo and this other thing called hero. They always are involved in blow up holes for me.

100% this

I would say one per 9 typically.

I would say they almost always start with a tee ball out of play.

Were frequent in my earlier years of regular play. 1-2x per round. Now anything more than a triple is rare. Mostly due to playing smart and managing the course. Smart play around the green is another key.

What constitutes a blow up hole anymore? For handicap purposes, a net double bogey is the most that can be taken. I rarely exceed that now a days, but yesterday I had 3 double bogeys en route to a +7 score for the day.

What causes them? Lately it has been awful iron shots. Yesterday I hit 3 in hazards by chunking irons.

Not really, I made a conscious effort to try and stay away from them as much as possible at the start of the 2020 season. I went 4-5 rounds that I imploded at the same place each round.

Not much anymore. When my short game was struggling, especially my bunker play, I could have a few per round. I generally am able to get around these days without a double, or 1 at most.

Forcing shots where they need not be hit:
  • going for a par 5 in 2 when there is no room to miss near the green
  • Hitting driver off the tee when I shouldn't
  • Not laying up to a number

Miss hits. 100% of the time. A miss hit will make me physically ill almost. Especially if it results in a penalty stroke. Miss hit being a top, top hook, huge chunk ect. I have to take a breathe, not try to “fix it” and just make a good stroke on the next one. If I overthink what caused it I am doomed.

A blow up hole to me is double par, or worse. Maybe once every 4-5 rounds. Idk. They just happen.

The causes usually are because I have lost my focus on what I'm trying to do. Probably playing with a good friend, and just screwing around. Maybe a bad read on a green will add more strokes than normal.

One of the things my long time swing guru taught a few decades ago was to have no 6s on my score card. I still use that rule of thumb to this day.

Oh yeah. Either short game or I start doing something with my swing and haven’t been able to self-diagnose fast enough. But, yeah, my chipping and putting has always felt like it’s right on the edge of falling off a cliff. Desperate for some consistency in 2022.

Yes, at least a couple every round. And I have a variety of ways of accomplishing it, not limited to any one particular aspect of my game.

Every round, I have 1-4 doubles as a result of a momentary brain fart 😑

Generally, it's a bad tee shot followed by a less than focused iron!

Definitely cut down on them this past year, but when I got into trouble, it was usually one of 2 issues:

1. Opening up my driver and losing one right, I mean way right. Either in trouble, or a unplayable.
2. Not playing smart. Leaving myself the wrong side of the green, short sided, tight, in a hazard. But in the end, I chose the wrong shot, should have known better, and didn't execute, and now I'm in trouble.

Oh yes, they love to show up regularly. It’s always caused by lack of concentration whether it be off the tee, approach shot or the dreaded chunked chip. Anything it can do to add extra strokes, it will do its best.

Had a blow up hole on the sim the other day. Hit the ball in the woods and took four shots to get out. I was hitting all kinds of trees. Felt like the real thing :ROFLMAO:

If I have blowup holes on a regular basis, are they still truly considered blowups?

It's usually a compounding problem, and leads to inflated scores. A bad tee shot, followed by a do or die shot to make up the first shot, then stressing over making the first 2 mistakes. Usually it happens at least once a round, bad days it happens on both sides.. leading to a brutal day at the course.

Yes I have them. The cause is many and varied.

1. Lack of skill - I know what I want to do but don't know how to execute it.
2. Lack of talent - I don't know what I want to do for a particular shot.
3. Loss of focus - I should have taken more time and read the shot
4. Boredom - Sometimes I just want the shot over with. This is a result of 1, 2, and 3
5. Aches and pains - This can cause me to rush or mess up a shot.

Those are my top 5 reasons I suffer blow up holes. Summing it all up, my golf game isn't that good. I don't have all of the shots in my bag that I want to make. I don't know other shots that I could make.🤷‍♂️

Yes, they've been a major problem for me. One thing that didn't help is driver was very inconsistent, but I'd still try it at least once or twice. That would start me off in a bad place often including a penalty stroke.

Overall, my swing mechanics would be off and I simply couldn't quickly diagnose exactly what the issue was. I think I'm getting better with the diagnosis as well as a more consistent swing.

That was the cause of my higher scores last session. I would play 14-15 good, solid holes but those random blow up holes killed my scores.

I think I get lazy and lose focus. I don't understand why I have these random brain lapses and they seem to come out of nowhere.

I wouldn’t say frequent or infrequent. It’s all random. I can go periods without a blowup or 5 straight rounds with 3-4. Generally it’s from bad execution leading to forcing the next shot to save par. I’m a member at the let’s chunk this layup and then try to save par club. I’m also guilty of trying to be too cute when I have a short shot with the green running away. Typically land it short to try to keep it on the green, try to be perfect again, hit a decent chip that rolls off, get it on the green, and frustration putt until it’s in.

Back