This is the largest area of handicap issues for me. If I were to say the largest reason for having a blow-up hole would be because I am always thinking I can make that hero shot. I probably only make the hero shot 1 or 2 times out of ten, but who likes a quitter and I am always looking at birdie or par. If I could just get in my head a simple layup would be better. Take the bogey and move to the next hole, but nope gotta try for the birdie or par

Do you suffer from them frequently? What causes you to have one?
Oh my. Yeah a few holes per round is a blow up. To me that’s a three putt or greater and a double bogey or greater.

Generally, it happens when I lose focus or I’m trying to get an extra bit of distance. It can also happen if there’s been a few too many beverages that day. Usually just staying focused and in my game is key for me.

Usually when I say, "Watch this" it is a blow up hole

Biggest culprit? Bad tee shot with driver. I am less likely to slice my irons, hybrids or fairway so usually I am in the fairway with those.

Hitting a drive ob or into a hazard is the typical start of a blowup hole for me.

Absolutely have them and usually it involves a penalty and then being in a bad spot.

They have been far and few between but usually it’s because of a bad tee shot if I have one.

This plagues me. It is usually different things but nearly all of my blow up holes start with an awful tee shot.

I generally consider a “blow-up” hole anything worse than a double, but sometimes a double can qualify. It’s weird how a blow-up can sort of come out of nowhere - when you least expect it. A lot of times (for me) it begins with messing up on a shot that you almost take for granted. Whether or not that is inspiration for continuing on in a less than stellar streak is unclear...
but, it certainly can have an impact. Then.... if I’m too demoralized by it, it can lead to a very unproductive round. Blow-up holes are bad on my golfing mental outlook.

This is the largest area of handicap issues for me. If I were to say the largest reason for having a blow-up hole would be because I am always thinking I can make that hero shot. I probably only make the hero shot 1 or 2 times out of ten, but who likes a quitter and I am always looking at birdie or par. If I could just get in my head a simple layup would be better. Take the bogey and move to the next hole, but nope gotta try for the birdie or par

This! One time my buddy and I were playing and I shot 40 on the front, and started off the back very well! Thought I had a chance to break 80. Someone else mentioned a bad drive, and on the par 5 17th I hooked my drive into the water left of the fairway. OK, drop 2, hitting 3. Then came the bad judgement! Tried the hero shot, and left it in trouble. Tried another and still in trouble. I think I made 9 on that hole! I was kind of proud of myself on 18. Hit my best drive of the day. Put my approad 10 feet left of the pin and nearly holed the birdie putt, which would have given me a 39 on the back. So, 40-40=80. But still disappointing since I had a chance to shoot 40-36=76! Just another reminder to forget about the hero shots. If you're in trouble, job 1 is get out of trouble!

Yes, lack of concentration. Usually on a drive that puts me in a bad place to start the hole and it will spiral out of control from there.

I find all kinds of ways to do it. Today:

#1 - Beautiful 263 yard tee shot right down the middle of the fairway. Push my approach shot into the dirt right of the cart path, with trees blocking my approach to the green. Take three more shots to get on the green and one-putt for a double bogey.

#7 - Try to cut the corner on my tee shot on a dogleg left par 5. Hit a palm tree and end up 10 yards behind it on a bare dirt lie. Hit my hybrid too far right and out of bounds trying to avoid said palm tree. Two shots later, get on the green and three-putt for a triple bogey.

#14 - Sky my driver a dazzling 153 yards, chunk my second shot, pull my approach shot way left, chip onto the green and two putt for a double.

#15 - Decent tee shot into the right rough. Hit my second shot off the toe and end up behind a big, low hanging tree. Try a punch shot to get under it and hit it fat, leaving me under the tree for my fourth shot. Another punch shot, not low enough and catches a tree branch. Chip onto the green and two putt for a double.

Brain damage from my misspent youth……..

Really, most are caused by poor iron shots for me.
My grip pressure gets too tight, causing erratic distances, usually short.

Seem to have at least one every round. Normally happens when I am trying to do too much. Might hit a bad tee shot and instead of punching out, I try some miracle shot and end up in an even worse spot than before. Definitely have tried on working on this but still happens a lot. Especially when I have a good round going. I seem to want to take a risky shot to keep the round going well and it backfires more times than not.

I had 2 triples and a quad my last round, so yeah, they're currently killing any chance I have of a decent score.

Example: 410 yard par-4, hit 3 hybrid off the tee. Pulled it left into the rough and had about 190 to the green. Hit 5 iron, but came up short and in the bunker. Hit a beautiful shot out of the sand and came close to rolling in. Unfortunately, it needed to be about a foot to the left to keep it from trickling down and catching the false front. Nothing I could do but watch the ball roll off the green and downhill another 25 yards. Ground was wet, so caught my pitch just a little heavy. Ball stopped and I thought I was good, but then it started to roll back. Ended up almost exactly where I just hit from. Made sure my next was on the green, but was about 25 feet past the hole. 2 putts for a triple bogey. :mad:

When I pull a “Tin Cup” and have to make a certain shot.

Do you suffer from them frequently? What causes you to have one?
Far too often and 90% of the time it's because of my horrible tee game. If I'm driving the ball decent, I can keep my scores in the low 90's-mid to high 80's. If not, it can easily be in the 100-105 range. :(

Good chance a blow up hole is going to start OB or in a hazard.

Of course I do. I will get frustrated with a bad shot & instead of letting it go & focusing on the next shot I will hit another bad shot & it snow balls from there.

All kinds of ways. Today alone I had...
#5 - perfect if very short (into the wind) drive right in the middle on a long par 5, 2nd shot 5w to 100 yards right in the middle, 3rd shot shanked a gap wedge off the hosel into the water. Drop, hit on, 2 putt double.
#9 push a drive into water that shouldn't even come into play and is only like 30 yards forward of the tee box. Drop 2, 6i layup to the water that does come into play, hit the green and 3putt for triple.
10. Fairway bunker from the tee box. Hit second shot fat and into water on the right. Drop 3, 4th shot on, 3putt triple.

My blow up hole today?

I usually tee my driver shot fairly high. Today it was VERY windy, so I moved the ball closer to the middle of my stance…but I did not lower my tee to compensate.
100 yard pop up…into a sand trap. And I could not let that go for the rest of that hole. Not good.

The good was the par 3 over water with a direct head wind. Took 3 clubs more and hit an easy punch To the green. Worked like a charm.

1-3 per round the last year or so it seems…compounding errors usually like multiple penalties on the same hole

Laziness for sure. If I shank one, I’ll usually just walk over to it and use the same club, even if I should club down. I’ll also swing harder to try to make up for the crappy swing (which writing it out, makes absolutely no sense)

I'm good for one or two... Usually it's trying to do too much and then failing... Trying to crush my 2nd on a par 5 or place a delicate approach/chip and ending with a duff.

Wahbi could have a percentage in the back of my mind... High percentage vs low percentage shots kill my game.

They used to be very infrequent for me, consistency was the strength of my game. Last year, they came in bunches and it was nearly always due to hitting it OB or generally wayward off the tee. Driver being the usual culprit but even going with safety clubs didn't help much. My swing is just breaking down terribly with the longer clubs.

Back