Bobby Jones Swing Would Be Discouraged Today

Toggs

Reaction score
Handicap
He dragged the club back getting his hands ahead of the clubhead, brought it way inside quickly so that at the top, it was pointing 45 degrees across the line, and then looped it way outward to get it online in the downswing. He also turned his hips almost as much as his shoulders. It just goes to show there are a number of ways to swing.

A lot of that swing was equipment driven. Given different equipment, he would have automatically swung differently..

I have an old-fashioned inside-out draw swing myself.
I can hit a big banana the other way, but not a tight, semi-controlled fade like my draw.

If I had money to burn, I'd love to try one of those hickory shaft sets that Louisville Golf offers.
Maybe with a soft Fifty Elite ball or the like, that could be fun.

It was necessary because of the equipment. We’re lucky enough to play with clubs that don’t need any help getting the ball in the air. Having hit hickory shafted clubs and old wooden headed clubs, I can safely say my modern swing doesn’t work with them. After a few shots, it’s necessary to start getting very wristy and ‘swishy’ to get the ball up.

I miss the persimmon headed clubs l used when starting out , a fearsome crack when the ball struck well , never got to play with hickory clubs ,,, have held a few , looking at the heads so small . It’s staggering the ability they had with the equipment available … but I think we would all would adapted somehow lol

I remember watching movie shorts of Bobby Jones teaching golf and demonstrating golf shots, when I was a youngster in the 1950's. In one clip he was rebounding the ball off a tree trunk to a green behind him and holed a couple. He was the first golfer I ever saw hit a golf ball.

We all remember persimmon clubheads, bu.t by the end of the wooden club era, laminated maple was just as prevalent.
I liked persimmon for drivers, but persimmon fairway woods cracked more often than laminated maple ones.

i mean, would you say all swings on tour today would be taught? i'd say no.

That (brief) hands ahead of dragging club takeaway can still help offset certain backswing flaws.

I have an old-fashioned inside-out draw swing myself.
I can hit a big banana the other way, but not a tight, semi-controlled fade like my draw.

If I had money to burn, I'd love to try one of those hickory shaft sets that Louisville Golf offers.
Maybe with a soft Fifty Elite ball or the like, that could be fun.

"And from a performance perspective, the steel shaft in the wood improved the performance of the wood, especially in terms of distance. However, in the irons, loft for loft, there was no difference in distance and many golfers preferred the soft feel of the hickory shaft."

A lot of that swing was equipment driven. Given different equipment, he would have automatically swung differently..
This is something I really think we forget to take into consideration when looking back at the swings of yesteryear.

According to Ron Rapoport, author of "The Immortal Bobby" young Bobby Jones never had a formal golf lesson, but he had the best teacher possible in Stewart Maiden. Maiden was a native of Carnoustie in Scotland who immigrated to the US to work at the growing number of golf clubs in America.
Maiden believed in simplicity in a golfer's swing - feet together, hands low, body upright, minimum of preparation or fuss and swing at it. Throughout his career Jones was known for his fast play and lack of deliberation over shots.
Alicia Sterling came to golf with young Bob under Maiden's guidance and she beat Jones to the pinnacle of golf the US Amateur Championship.

You can't compare swings from then to now. The equipment is so different. I do believe great golfers from any generation would figure out how to make the equipment work in another generation.

I dunno, looks pretty solid to me...🤷‍♂️
  • It's athletic, love it
  • Big turn back creates a ton of power, love it
  • Across the line at the top ain't no big deal, and creates speed, love it
  • His pivot down is sick, love it
  • He opens his chest and keeps turning through (no flip release), love it

View attachment RPReplay_Final1624812778.mov

I’d love to see less cookie cutter swings on tour, and more Bobby Jones, Moe Norman, and Arnold Palmer types. All that really matters is those few inches at impact and what’s between the ears…..

You can't compare swings from then to now. The equipment is so different. I do believe great golfers from any generation would figure out how to make the equipment work in another generation.
Having learnt the game during the late 1960's, I was right there when instruction surfaced favouring a lateral pivot. I credit Tiger for getting instruction back on track and biomechanics doing their thing in golf following on from their work in tennis.

Back