Boccieri Golf Heavy Irons Preview

Thats's what I'm thinking too.....I can tell that they're 1/4" shorter because I've had to move closer to the ball ever so slightly which kinda throws me off a bit

I'm taking them to the course this weekend so I hope I can give some more feedback on these cool irons

The weighting is fascinating. Can you tell that they are a 1/4" shorter per club, as the Boccieri site lists them? Also, I can't imagine how they could be re shafted -- might that just throw all the weighting off if the teeth aren't installed correctly (note I know nothing about reshafting so maybe I'm way off)?

So I spent a lot more time with these today and came away with mixed but interesting thoughts. I found the 8, 9, and PW to be extremely accurate although shorter than previous sets I've tested/played with. I'd say they are a good 1/2 to a full club shorter than other GI irons I've hit with. I struggled a bit with the 5-7 irons for reasons unknown where all my shots with these were either way short or low line drives. Ball striking wasn't my best today but I managed to get enough good swings in with these before my iron swing went totally AWOL.

I really liked the heavier feel to these and there is a great, satisfying 'th-whack' when you strike the ball with these. I seem to notice the weight of these more in the shaft than I do in the club head for some reason too. They are not as forgiving as I thought they'd be which was surprising but the accuracy of these is quite good. With the scoring irons, the ball gets up in the air nicely with no ballooning and a pleasing trajectory. The look at address is clean and gives you a confident feeling. One thing that I noticed was that these irons really get through the turf quickly and cleanly which could be a nice by product of the additional weighting. I noticed that they seemed to really thrive in the first cut of rough more than anything.

So I spent a lot more time with these today and came away with mixed but interesting thoughts. I found the 8, 9, and PW to be extremely accurate although shorter than previous sets I've tested/played with. I'd say they are a good 1/2 to a full club shorter than other GI irons I've hit with. I struggled a bit with the 5-7 irons for reasons unknown where all my shots with these were either way short or low line drives. Ball striking wasn't my best today but I managed to get enough good swings in with these before my iron swing went totally AWOL.

I really liked the heavier feel to these and there is a great, satisfying 'th-whack' when you strike the ball with these. I seem to notice the weight of these more in the shaft than I do in the club head for some reason too. They are not as forgiving as I thought they'd be which was surprising but the accuracy of these is quite good. With the scoring irons, the ball gets up in the air nicely with no ballooning and a pleasing trajectory. The look at address is clean and gives you a confident feeling. One thing that I noticed was that these irons really get through the turf quickly and cleanly which could be a nice by product of the additional weighting. I noticed that they seemed to really thrive in the first cut of rough more than anything.

To me, these seem like they'd be in a class similar to the TM CB's. What do you think, Hanks? What shaft is in them and how does the ball flight compare?

Posted via Tapatalk

Could be man. I think the heads of the Heavy Irons aren't as 'forgiving' as the CB's but I like the weighting of the Heavys vs. the CB's and that's mainly due to the shaft weight (TT GS 95). Ball flight is similar to the CB's but the shots don't tend to hang in the air as long as the CB's. The shots with the Heavys go up and come right back down where I think the biggest problem I had with the CB's were that the shots would get up and stay up which robbed me of a lot of distance. One thing that they both have is accuracy though. The Heavy 9i was automatic from 125 for me

To me, these seem like they'd be in a class similar to the TM CB's. What do you think, Hanks? What shaft is in them and how does the ball flight compare?

Posted via Tapatalk

Thanks buddy. I'd love for these to sell well so Boccieri puts out more of a GI iron somewhere down the line.

Could be man. I think the heads of the Heavy Irons aren't as 'forgiving' as the CB's but I like the weighting of the Heavys vs. the CB's and that's mainly due to the shaft weight (TT GS 95). Ball flight is similar to the CB's but the shots don't tend to hang in the air as long as the CB's. The shots with the Heavys go up and come right back down where I think the biggest problem I had with the CB's were that the shots would get up and stay up which robbed me of a lot of distance. One thing that they both have is accuracy though. The Heavy 9i was automatic from 125 for me

I'm really surprised by this. I don't have them in front of me, but unthinkable the heavy irons have a larger club head, thicker lines and more mass. That should translate to more forgiveness right?

Am I incorrect in the thicknesses of the lines?

If you catch a shot fat with these i think you'll need a ladder to get out of the divot!!

If you catch a shot fat with these i think you'll need a ladder to get out of the divot!!

Im curious if this was your finding?
I did not see that issue when I tested them.

No I think you're right on with that. I was a little surprised myself but that's what I took away from my first few times hitting these irons. I was reading through the spec sheets on these last night and even had them in my hands with the CB's comparing the 2. The heads of the CB's seemed to absorb more shock from mis-hits and get the ball up in the air faster than the Heavys did/do. Now the Heavys help me get through the shot better by keeping me focused on pulling the club all the way through release and really help maintain my tempo better due to the overall weight of the club vs. the CB's but so far I don't think the Heavys are as forgiving as I would've thought given the extra weighting

I'm really surprised by this. I don't have them in front of me, but unthinkable the heavy irons have a larger club head, thicker lines and more mass. That should translate to more forgiveness right?

Am I incorrect in the thicknesses of the lines?

I'm not a big divot taker as I'm a picker more than anything but with the 9i and PW when I did take a divot I didn't notice much of a difference in size.

Im curious if this was your finding?
I did not see that issue when I tested them.

@ JB

I havent tested them (is this stuff available in the UK?), but if everything about these is heavy then i cant see it doing anything but dig!

Only my opinion with no actual info to back it up though!

Quick search has shown Brandfushion have something to do with Boccieri over here, directs to the sun mountain website. I cant see any range/pro shop stocking this though, your hard pushed for pro shops to stock anything other than Nike, TM and Titliest. Even the few big golf stores very rarely do anything other than the top makes plus a few budgets (rogue/slazenger, dunlop etc). I'll keep my eye out though.

I would love to get to test these at a demo day or a local shop. So far I have been unable to locate, but will keep checking. Thanks to all for your detailed reviews so far.

@ JB

I havent tested them (is this stuff available in the UK?), but if everything about these is heavy then i cant see it doing anything but dig!

Only my opinion with no actual info to back it up though!

Check out the specs of the irons. I think you will be quite surprised.

Most of the weight is in the butt end anyway. It looks like about 8 grams was added to the heads.

+1....it takes a little getting used to where sometimes I was dragging the club head and not getting it square at impact because of the added weight in the grips. They're also 1/4 inch shorter than most irons and that also took some getting used to where I was initially topping a lot of shots with the 5-7 irons

Most of the weight is in the butt end anyway. It looks like about 8 grams was added to the heads.

These are interesting irons to say the least, I'll be looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on them.

Spent a good amount of time on the range with these again today

This time around I noticed a much higher ball flight compared to previous sessions. The ball seemed to get up, way up sometimes, but the shots were all along the target line with not much deviation from it. A good solid ball strike leaves you feeling like you've really hit the ball with the heavier shaft helping you out. I love hitting the 8,9, PW clubs but have mixed results with the 5,6,7 irons. Today I noticed that the 7 and 8 were going about the same distances no matter where I put the ball in my stance which was frustrating. The 5 and 6 irons I don't get off the ground nearly as well as the other irons and find my self taking half swings with them to get any sort of respectable distances out of them where if I take a full swing with them the shots seem to be line drives.

You really have the feeling that you are in control with the scoring irons with this set which is something I wasn't expecting given the additional weight of these. I'll mention this more in the formal review but the weighting of these irons really helps smooth your tempo out which is great for the scoring irons but I feel like I want to pound the ball with the lower irons which is when I get into trouble with these

I struggle with that same thing with lower irons, Hanks. I think I need to swing them harder, when I just don't really need to.

I am very curious about these irons. I'll be following this thread closely

Tap tap taparoo

Had a good round with these irons yesterday....ball striking was a little better for me and these irons rewarded me. The feeling off the clubface feels very much like a 'better players iron' which is good and bad. When you catch it flush it just gets up in the air and goes but if you miss it anywhere on the toe there is minimal forgiveness and noticeable distance loss, particularly with the longer irons. The extra weighting does take some getting used to but once you do they feel pretty good in your hands and ealry on in your round you feel more controlled in your swing/tempo however if you become fatigued these irons can feel like lead in your hands. This was my case yesterday. When I became tired the irons felt that much heavier in my hands and they felt harder to swing. Getting the club to square at impact became more of a chore and I was fighting to release the club through the shot as well more so than with 'traditionally weighted' irons.

BTW, you are the luckiest tester for getting these! I love these irons, I may buy some one day just to have them.

Nice review Hanks, I'd love to have a full set of these to hit with the heavy driver just to see how much improvement I could see.

Seeing as this is the Preview thread I thought I would give a little bit of a preview myself.

A box from Connecticut, how awesome!
Spoiler
ea5db134.jpg

I wonder whats inside?
Spoiler
521f11e9.jpg

I think I see something!
Spoiler
3c8cbcdf.jpg

Well Lookie here!
Spoiler
615afdee.jpg

Check that 4 iron, theres a 3 in there too! These aint no shovels!
Spoiler
b482d5f6.jpg

Fitted to the specs of a Pale Ginger Canadian!
Spoiler

1* Upright! PX 5.5 baby!
2c491992.jpg

What a dirty combo!
Spoiler
3ddd9fc3.jpg

Cozy at home!
Spoiler
bb58dce7.jpg

Final Spoiler!
Spoiler

I can think of more than 5 people who wish they had "TC" on their wedge, including my own girlfriend! :alien:
0c2470ed.jpg

My Burners feel heavy after awhile there is no way I could hit these lol

Back