Boccieri Heavy Driver - Forum Testing Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP has sent out drivers to the forum testers that were selected after signup and here is a list of those that will be providing feedback in this thread.

Dr. Teeth
Doubledxu
Degoins
Thainer
Snap Hook
Hoosier Golfer
SF Coach
McRock

This thread will be for them to offer their long term thoughts as they use the driver and offer feedback as to how it works for them.

Lets keep this thread clear until the guys start getting their Boccieri drivers in and posting initial thoughts. Thanks.

This afternoon I was home early to do some yard work and while taking a break from the 90 degree heat, I was sitting in my little shop in the rear of the garage, when a FedEx truck showed up. My first thought was that my wife had bought yet another pair of golf shoes to sit on a shelf with the other 35 pairs. But low and behold, the driver walked out of the truck with a much longer box than a shoe box.

I really had not given much thought to the driver coming so soon being JB just started this thread today, but it was indeed from Boccieri Golf! I quickly signed for the box and was like a kid at Christmas. I did the best I could on very short notice to take a few self pics and I'm sorry to look like such a slob, but I was really working in the yard.

I cut open the box like a little kid and my first impression in seeing the driver was, that it was just a very traditional looking club with no flashy graphics or flashy colors, just nice and simple, working class style which is just the way I like my clubs. The black shaft is very nice and not in any way distracting (I once had a driver with a white shaft and never really got use to the bright color), so I was very pleased with the color of the head, shaft and grip.

My plans were to do some more work this evening and not playing as a storm front was closing in on us, but I stopped everything, grabbed a quick shower and headed for my home course. When I arrived, the wind was dead in my face at the driving range at about 20/25 mph with a few gusts close to 30 I would guess. I have never been a great wind player and hitting a driver dead into a brisk wind is not a strong part of my game, but I had to give this driver its first go.

I have been playing either a 12 or 13 degree driver for the past 5 or 6 years, so I have been thinking about this with a very open mind with my only choice being either a 9 or 10 degree from Boccieri. At just four months shy of turning 50, I just am no longer as flexible as I once was and my swing speed the past couple of years has dropped from the mid 90's I averaged for years, to my current 82/83 average. I went with a 10 degree with a regular shaft.

The club is a inch longer at 45 inches than my current 44 inch but I don't see this as being a issue. The club sits slightly closed at I'm guessing 1 degree, so the look is a little different than my current one at 2 degrees. The look at address is very pleasing, and even though the graphics on the shaft are on top, they were in no way distracting. Although this driver is of course named the Heavy Driver, it really feels pretty light in my hands, maybe a little heavier than I'm use to, but still it feels pretty good.

My first swing was very slow, nice and easy to get a feel for the club in my hands, and it was pretty easy to feel the club head at the top, so I spend several minutes just giving it some dry runs.

My first real swing with the club resulted in a low fade. I was set up with my aim point well left because I kind of thought going into this that this club was going to be a left to right club for me, from my past experience with lower lofted drivers. I ended up hitting between 30 and 40 full shots with the club, and it was in less than perfect conditions with the strong wind dead in my face, and while the results were very predictable right to left with a low to mid ball flight, but I did loose a couple of shots into the wind which turned into really hard slices, but I think most of that was the wind along with a less than perfect swing. I could also not really get a good feel on distance with the strong wind, but it appeared to be in my normal 235 to 250 yard range.

I was really not able to get a good feel for this as I had to cut the session short as the rain, thunder and lightning finally reached the course. I headed into the clubhouse and sit down and talked with our PGA Pro about the driver, the company and the review(s) I will be writing in the coming months. My pro gave the driver very good marks for the style and colors in staying with a traditional look (that us old guys like).

I will be in Indy on Wednesday and I am going to throw the driver in as well as my current driver and if time will allow, I'm hoping I can get into the GolfTec lab at the north Indy Golfsmith store to try and get some numbers on both drivers.

My first impressions of the driver where very good and I think with some time to get a feel for it, along with some adjustments in my setup and swing path, I will see some good results. Should be a great time over the next few months with this driver.

Thanks again to Boccieri Golf and THP for the chance to review this driver!

IMGP2871.jpg

IMGP2872.jpg

IMGP2873.jpg

IMGP2875.jpg

Love the pics and the thorough recap of your initial thoughts, HG!

Nice unboxing pics and recap! Too bad the weather kicked you off the range early.

Love the pics and the thorough recap of your initial thoughts, HG!

Same here. Cool pictures, and hopefully the rain passes quickly so you can get back out there soon. Can't wait to hear some feedback!

Wow! What a start to this thread. Great unboxing thoughts and pictures Hoosier. I enjoyed reading that, it was thorough and full of good details. Good luck in Indy!

Btw, nice shop and work station buddy.

Love the pics, thorough detail of your first impressions, and the work shop. Can't wait to hear how it works on the course for you.

Thanks for the pics and initial thoughts, Hoosier. Look forward to everyones comments on this.

The other 7 testers are going to have to step up to keep up with HG.
Excellent initial thoughts and I am REALLY REALLY looking forward to the feedback in this thread.

So excited that you got your driver today and great write up! Now the wait really begins, I have a feeling I am going to be calling home every twenty minutes to see if a box has arrived.

The other 7 testers are going to have to step up to keep up with HG.
Excellent initial thoughts and I am REALLY REALLY looking forward to the feedback in this thread.

So am I. I keep thinking about what I would have thought about it with a more flexible shaft. The stiff was a bit low for me, but it was so straight. I have a feeling the R flex would have brought the flight up.

If I remember right my first few swings with this driver results in some low fades too. That did change for me at the demo day though

Well, I'm unsafely tapping and driving home from my round right now. I'll just leave you guys and gals with this thought until I get home:

W. O. W.

Great pics and great initial review. Great Job!!

Great initial thoughts. Like others said, the other testers are going to have to step up their game just to keep up. I'm really looking forward to following the thoughts on these drivers.

I will say it again GREAT write up on your initial thoughts! Good pics and you have really caught my attention with how this driver is going to stack up.

Awesome job with the first write-up HG! Can't wait to read more as you and the other testers continue adding to this thread!

Thank you everyone! This is a first for me, so I will give it my very best.

Thank you everyone! This is a first for me, so I will give it my very best.

Doing a great job so far, thanks for the info and great pic's.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Great initial write up. Its going to make sleeping tonight difficult as I wait in anticipation of delivery of this beautiful classic.driver. loved the pics.

Enjoyed the initial thoughts and unboxing pics, looking forward to more write ups. Excellent 1st reveiw HG.

This afternoon I was home early to do some yard work and while taking a break from the 90 degree heat, I was sitting in my little shop in the rear of the garage, when a FedEx truck showed up. My first thought was that my wife had bought yet another pair of golf shoes to sit on a shelf with the other 35 pairs. But low and behold, the driver walked out of the truck with a much longer box than a shoe box.

I was so thrown off reading that. I was thinking that sure is an impressive driver to be walking off the truck itself! It was a dumb blonde moment...

Back