Boccieri Heavy Driver - Forum Testing Review

Epic fail dude. But I really think it boils down to me not being good enough to hit that shot.

I can't hit it either Thainer. All I ever get with it is a line drive slice that is uncontrollable. :bad:

I was able to reload this video in HD so you could see the golf balls take off. That was a pretty big miss..... woops!

Thainer, is that a new XS shaft in your HD? It almost looks gold or bronze in your HD video. Commentary is still funny in HD too.

Because the stock driver only comes in R and S, he had to put the XS real-deal shaft in my driver, I believe Dr. Teeth received the same one. Ive had the gold shaft the whole time, thats why I havent commented much on the graphics of the shaft matching the head. Because as you can see, it doesnt in my case!

Thainer, is that a new XS shaft in your HD? It almost looks gold or bronze in your HD video. Commentary is still funny in HD too.

Great review HG!

Just caught up on the last 3 pages, good stuff guys, I too lol at H's wife chuckleing and then calling the shot a "stinker", too funny. I find it interesting that each of you are having to swing easier with this driver and yet still getting comparable distance, that is good stuff. dd's videos were really good and I too liked the impact zone pics.
This comment from Thainer is very telling about the HD to me. "All in all I am pleased to say that I still currently game this driver and I feel it has made me a better driver of the golf ball." That pretty well says it all, again good reviews and comments everyone, keep up the good work.

I just wanted to update from the Range session I had from a couple of nights ago. As I was collecting my thoughts, I was noticing that I was constantly hitting the ball high on the face. Ive always felt like the "sweet spot" on a driver was too low on the clubface, and to launch the ball with the least amount of spin you need to hit it about a half ball above the sweetspot.

I started teeing the ball up a hair lower, while also allowing my driver to swing through the ball just a hair higher. I was able to get a few extra carry yards out of this method (8-10) and was really nailing them. The only thing I noticed though was that there was noticeably more spin on the golf ball, so missing was a little easier as well. I can see myself using this method in certain situations around the golf course but for the most part I am still comfortable hitting it above the sweet spot.

Where is anyone else hitting this on the clubface? Dead center? Am I the only one who aims for above the 'marked' sweet spot?

I just wanted to update from the Range session I had from a couple of nights ago. As I was collecting my thoughts, I was noticing that I was constantly hitting the ball high on the face. Ive always felt like the "sweet spot" on a driver was too low on the clubface, and to launch the ball with the least amount of spin you need to hit it about a half ball above the sweetspot.

I started teeing the ball up a hair lower, while also allowing my driver to swing through the ball just a hair higher. I was able to get a few extra carry yards out of this method (8-10) and was really nailing them. The only thing I noticed though was that there was noticeably more spin on the golf ball, so missing was a little easier as well. I can see myself using this method in certain situations around the golf course but for the most part I am still comfortable hitting it above the sweet spot.

Where is anyone else hitting this on the clubface? Dead center? Am I the only one who aims for above the 'marked' sweet spot?

I do tee my ball lower than normal with the HD. Mr. Boccieri explained why he put the sweet spot in the center of the face when I talked to him. His idea was that it creates a larger sweet spot, and misses are more forgiving. Not sure my misses are more forgiving. But I can definitely tell a difference in how the impact feels between a sweet spot and a slightly above tee spot.

However, I tend to get better results when I hit slightly above the sweet spot.

Interesting. Thanks for replying McRock.

Im looking forward to seeing the results this thing gives me versus my SuperDeep. They have a similar feeling at impact.

I do tee my ball lower than normal with the HD. Mr. Boccieri explained why he put the sweet spot in the center of the face when I talked to him. His idea was that it creates a larger sweet spot, and misses are more forgiving. Not sure my misses are more forgiving. But I can definitely tell a difference in how the impact feels between a sweet spot and a slightly above tee spot.

However, I tend to get better results when I hit slightly above the sweet spot.

Just caught up on the thread and wanted to address some things and answer questions.

Dr. Teeth let me hit this club a few times this morning on the range before their round. I liked the way it looked and it felt great in my hands. The ball seemed to come off the face pretty hot and I had a couple good shots with it. My first two swings I blocked it to the right. The next few swings were much better. I only had a few swings with it, but it seems like a nice club. I must say, and I'm not sure how much the club costs, the headcover is very cheap and old looking. It seems to be enough padding to protect the club but I would be disappointed if I bought a new club and it came with that headcover. Just my opinion.

I totally agree with you about the head cover and it is something I have brought up with Mr. Boccieri when I have spoken with him. The driver is just too nice of a club to have that bad of a cover. Is it funtional? Yes. Does it look cheap and is it annoying to have to unzip it all the time? Yes.

Having now had the Heavy Driver in the bag for a couple of months, I thought I would write a summary of what I have found with this club to date. I’m 50 years old. I’ve been playing since the mid 70’s. I’m right handed and have a driver swing speed of 88 to 92 mph on average....

.....Another thing I have put off addressing is the price. With so many options out there in the $300 range, I think asking more at this time would turn away some buyers. The technology behind the brand is great, but getting the word out, getting clubs in stores & shops and in the hands of everyday players is a must. Pricing this driver above what I see as the average ($300) in my eyes is not the way forward with just a basic driver. When I ask myself if I would pay $400 for this driver, I have to be 100% honest and say that I doubt I would. There are many pluses with the driver and I like it as a first driver, but I’m pretty sure, in its current form (shaft etc) that this driver is not 100% for me. I’m sure though, that if I had the ability to quickly change shafts, face angle etc. I could make it work. Maybe for the current price point, adding adjustability and maybe even interchangeable shafts would be a great selling point. I have already decided that my next driver will be adjustable so I think that area really needs to be considered in the future.

I tip my hat to Mr. Boccieri. You have done very well with a first driver. It is not as dependable as I’m use to, and that is not all because of the driver. I would rate my confidence level with the HD at about 75%. This is the one thing that is holding me back from this driver get full bag time. It is so close, and I will continue to game it for the next two months before our season ends for the year.

Great write up! I am working on my big write up on the driver, but I have to say that I agree with you on many points. These was a very thorough review!

Because the stock driver only comes in R and S, he had to put the XS real-deal shaft in my driver, I believe Dr. Teeth received the same one. Ive had the gold shaft the whole time, thats why I havent commented much on the graphics of the shaft matching the head. Because as you can see, it doesnt in my case!

You are right, I too am playing the X Stiff model and it has the orange shaft. When people talk about the bright green graphics on the shaft being a bit distracting, I know exactly what they are saying because I have hit that version, but mine has no green graphics to distract.

When I spoke to Mr. Boccieri he said that he intentionally designed the sweet spot to be right in the center of the club face (right where the graphic is). I generally tee it a bit lower so this works pretty well for me. That being said a lot of research has been done that has found that most people miss high on the club face, which is why many OEMs have moved up their sweet spot. I haven't noticed much decrease in distance or anything with a high miss, but that is also not my usual miss. When I miss it is a club path and club face open/closed problem.

Guys, great job on this thread. Especially adapting little things, like teeing lower, to get the best out of the driver. Thainer mentioned he was seeing more spin - was it similar to the spin he was seeing with your previous driver? How about the other testers? Thanks all, keep up the good work!

Guys, great job on this thread. Especially adapting little things, like teeing lower, to get the best out of the driver. Thainer mentioned he was seeing more spin - was it similar to the spin he was seeing with your previous driver? How about the other testers? Thanks all, keep up the good work!

Its hard for me to give specifics on spin rate since I havent been on a launch monitor with it, but I do get more roll (but less height) using the same golf balls than with my SuperTri.

I'm only seeing more spin when I tee it lower. No way it spins more than my ex supertri.

No, this is actually a low spinning driver. I am in no way seeing too much spin.

Thanks for the quick response guys. We're seeing similar low-spin stuff in the Heavy Wood as well.

I was wondering if any of you took any club balance comparison photos? Check out the results of three of ours: Heavy Wood balance comparo photos.

I'm totally curious about your results. Boccieri Golf is definitely winning me over.

Luckily I am working from home this week due to the holiday, so I was able to get away during the lunch hour today and hit the range before I head out of town for the weekend..

Testing Objective - Track where the golf ball ends up on the range tracked against where I made contact on the face
Weather - 70*, 65% humidity, cloudy, wind into from the right 7-10 mph

If you havent been following since the beginning, my normal miss with my SuperTri is a high hook. My normal miss with the Heavy Driver is a low hook. Recently, I found that a slower controlled swing is the only way I can keep the low hooks out of play and keep the drives in the fairway. My normal carry distance thus far with the HD is 245-255. Again, I am a mid handicapper and my miss with all clubs is a hook when I turn the hands too quickly.

And the final results. I tried to trace the sweetspot graphic so you have a better idea where on the face I was hitting it.

IMAG0223.jpg

IMAG0224.jpg

Overall, these pics are very consistent with my results thus far. When I slow down, the ball goes remarkably straight. I tried to keep the tee height as consistent as possible throughout all the shots. Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions.

Love this post doubledxu! Great idea!

Good stuff dubbled! I took the HD out for a range session yesterday and I started getting that low hook going as my miss. That is a shot that has shown up every once in a while, but my main miss has been to the right. Yesterday, however, I just kept pulling them low and left. I kept trying to get myself to slow down and complete my swing, but every other shot was a low hook.

I played a round of 18 today and shot OK with a round of 86. My approach shots were a struggle for some reason. I decided to pit my titleist heads up with the HD and see how it fairer. As for consistency there was no comparison, I missed 2 fairways with the heavy and 5 with the titleist. My misses with the titleist were my usual pull hooks and the heavy keeps me from doing it. I was longer on every shot though with the titleist by a good bit and that's the one thing I wish I could get past.

As to the question Thainer had about where we hit on the face, my hits are usually dead center. I'm going out tomorrow to give her another go.

I used the HD yesterday morning in my normal Saturday skins game. This week we had 32 players, so there were several guys that gave the driver the once over. Everyone liked the looks and the feel of the driver. Most thought the name was a little strange after swinging the club, while commenting that it did not feel heavy. I gave them the story about the Heavy putter line hence the driver name.

I applied the swing theory of tee it low, swing easy with a strong grip and slightly closed stance. For me, it seems that this is the way to success. I hit the first three fairways where I used driver before I came hard over the top on one and hit a big slice. All in all, it was a good outing for me and the driver as I ended up hitting 8 of 14 fairways. Even though we had rain four days last week, the course took the water well and it was a little softer than normal, but I still got some roll on a few drives.

Because we were playing skins and some $$$ was on the line, I did not take the time to GPS my drives and log them in my note book. I shot 80 which I think is my best score with the HD in the bag. This round also did a lot for me in the confidence department. Consistency with any driver is key for me to have a good round. It sets the tone for me it seems. My K15 is just easy enough to hit that I never give a thought to trouble or OB with it in the bag, and up until this round, I could never help myself of having thoughts of bad shots or trouble given my lack of consistency and confidence when gaming the HD. This round changed that. I'm hoping this puts me to where I can game this driver without fear.

Nice round and write up HG. I played today myself and had a good day off the tee. I missed two fairways but not by much. I ended up shooting 84 with iron play again being my struggle.

Like HG noted I too have better luck teeing this driver low for some reason with a closed stance. I also have the ball more forward in my stance. That setup just seems to work for me.

I wont get out again until the weekend, I have a busy week lined up. I still can't get over how easy this driver is to swing consistently.

has anyone found they need to swing a bit easier to get best results from this driver?

I don't know that I swing easier. Maybe a bit smoother of a swing but I still swing it as hard as my other drivers.

Back