Boccieri Heavy Driver - Forum Testing Review

So I had my chat with Mr Boccieri Yesterday.
I know I sound like a broken record but what a COOL guy!

We talked for 1.5 hours and we talked about a whole bunch of different stuff. Some of it not even golf related. He mentioned a little frustration about his workers trying to take vacation around this time of year. I told him I know the feeling because at my job I'm at the bottome end of the totem pole and EVERYONE is taking vaction during the summer and leaving me with all the work.

We talked about shaft technology. His current focus and he enjoys it because one of his original jobs was to study stress on metal pipes which he says is very similar to studying golf shafts.

When we talked about the Heavy Driver it was an eye opener to hear it from him. The counterweighting and higher balance point was intriguing to me and I was curious as to why they went that route. The example he gave me made a lot of sense: Think of an ice skater spinning in place. With her arms out she spins fine, but when she pulls her arms in she spins faster. This has to do with the Center of gravity being closer to her center. The heavy driver's CG is much closer to the body compared to other drivers. Thus allowing you to turn your core quicker and easier. It makes sense (to me that is). Another point he mentioned was the Driver was almost named the BAlance driver. A name that actually to me makes more sense, but they already have the "heavy" brand name going.

Very gracious guy, he made a point to remind me that his company aren't the pioneers in counterweighting either. Pointing to Jack Nicklaus did it throughout his career.

*Teaser*
He mentioned the possibility of doing the same thing with THP but with their new Irons in the next coming months.
And he also mentioned the possibility of doing launch monitor testing with real Golfers at his home course in Scottsdale Arizona.

Both things he mentioned casually as if they were ideas that had just popped into his head. But I was jumping up and down like a little kid at the possibility

Great guy, and its awesome to shoot the breeze with someone who shares a similar passion. I wish I could remember more about what we talked about. Ever shoot the breeze with a buddy and then an hour later can't remember what your were talking about? Same thing.

oh BTW. The driver is very different to my current and previsou drivers. I'm still getting the hang of it, but I've been very impressed with the results so far.

Last edited:
Nice little teaser there snap lol. Man great updates.

I'll admit to not having read the whole thread but did anyone ask about the Heavy name? As in it's future going forward? I'd be curious to hear his comments.

Tapatalk: better on the iPad

I just got off the phone with Mr. Boccieri and it was an awesome conversation and I mean awesome in the truest sense of the word; I am in awe! I can't write about it right noelw but I will post some thoughts on it later.

One thing I really liked about Mr. Boccieri is that while he has the ability to completely confuse me with physics terms (i'm a lawyer, not a scientist, I hire other people to explain the science to me), he really knew hot to give me real world examples to explain it to me. The ice skater example really reminded me of that. He is what you would call, a great communicator.

Also, on the weighting thing and center of gravity, I really feel like I get more swing speed with less effort with the Heavy Driver than on my Burner draw. That's based purely on feel, not on launch monitor numbers, but I'm hoping to confirm that on a launch monitor in the coming weeks.

One thing I really liked about Mr. Boccieri is that while he has the ability to completely confuse me with physics terms (i'm a lawyer, not a scientist, I hire other people to explain the science to me), he really knew hot to give me real world examples to explain it to me. The ice skater example really reminded me of that. He is what you would call, a great communicator.

Also, on the weighting thing and center of gravity, I really feel like I get more swing speed with less effort with the Heavy Driver than on my Burner draw. That's based purely on feel, not on launch monitor numbers, but I'm hoping to confirm that on a launch monitor in the coming weeks.

I have a sneaking suspision about the same thing. But I can't get time with a launch monitor for atleast a week. (work and family stuff)

Loving all of the testing so far in this thread, pretty awesome you all got to talk with the creator and it sounds like quite an experience. I'm definitely regretting that I never got a chance to hit this at the demo day.

I just had my chat with Mr. Boccieri for a little over an hour. Wow. So cool. I'll recap when I get home but I have a few cool things to report.

Live update: I'm playing the slowest nine holes of late evening golf ever and I'm close to testing the Boccieri out on the walking twosome in front of me that insists on playing two balls each..as the sprinklers start to come on behind us.

What great customer service. Glad your getting this taken care of

Tap tap taparoo

I was able to get some range time in this afternoon with the 12.5 degree. As I reported yesterday, the driver is turning out to be a great driver for a very slight fade. On the range it is easy to get into a groove, and at one point I must have repeated the same baby fade shot ten times in a row. Of the 50/60 balls I hit today, I only had two or three that were more less slices which would have resulted in trouble on the course.

With just my normal setup and swing the driver has become very predictable. It is either pretty much straight or a very slight controlled fade. I have been able to hit a draw, but it does not come as easy for me as with my K15, but it is still possible even for me. This driver in this configuration takes the left side out of play for me, and at my home course that is not a bad thing.

When I went out to hit today, the range had just been picked so there were not many balls out there. Although I didn't hit a ton of balls and I did not have anyone to get distances for me today, most were in the 230/245 range when I went out and picked them. If this distance holds true, there is not really any distance gain for me, but on the other hand there is no loss either. The driver feels very smooth throughout the shot and although the head style is a little different when compared to the larger footprint of my K15.

I am starting to feel that Mr. Boccieri has really done well considering that this is his first driver. When I compare it to my Ping, it is pretty close right now and Ping has been in business for fifty years. Not to discredit Ping, but I think this says a lot about Boccieri Golf. The driver is pretty good at this point for me and mid handicap.

Do you prefer one head shape over the other, HG? How do you feel about the coloring/design of the Boccieri?

I was able to get some range time in this afternoon with the 12.5 degree. As I reported yesterday, the driver is turning out to be a great driver for a very slight fade. On the range it is easy to get into a groove, and at one point I must have repeated the same baby fade shot ten times in a row. Of the 50/60 balls I hit today, I only had two or three that were more less slices which would have resulted in trouble on the course.

With just my normal setup and swing the driver has become very predictable. It is either pretty much straight or a very slight controlled fade. I have been able to hit a draw, but it does not come as easy for me as with my K15, but it is still possible even for me. This driver in this configuration takes the left side out of play for me, and at my home course that is not a bad thing.

When I went out to hit today, the range had just been picked so there were not many balls out there. Although I didn't hit a ton of balls and I did not have anyone to get distances for me today, most were in the 230/245 range when I went out and picked them. If this distance holds true, there is not really any distance gain for me, but on the other hand there is no loss either. The driver feels very smooth throughout the shot and although the head style is a little different when compared to the larger footprint of my K15.

I am starting to feel that Mr. Boccieri has really done well considering that this is his first driver. When I compare it to my Ping, it is pretty close right now and Ping has been in business for fifty years. Not to discredit Ping, but I think this says a lot out Boccieri. The driver is pretty good at this point for me and mid handicap.

Alright, so, I had my phone conversation with Mr. Boccieri this evening - what an experience. Speaking to him personally just makes me feel even more honored to be testing the Heavy Driver. He was an absolute joy to talk with, and, echoing the sentiments of other testers, I'd absolutely love to just sit down and throw a few back with him. I wish I could remember every single word that he said - never a dull moment when talking to him. I was in the car, on the way home, when he phoned so I was unable to take any notes. It was still awesome.

He called exactly at 5:30 - on the nose. It's incredibly impressive that he not only is taking the time out of his day to talk to us but also that he's so incredibly prompt and customer friendly. He also immediately asked about my family issues that forced the rescheduling and made sure that all was well - very kind of him. We briefly talked about our family lives and he told me about his incredible 86 year old mother who still gets out and plays three rounds of golf every week.

So, we started talking about the Heavy Driver and Boccieri as a company. It was just fantastic to hear how passionate he was about his products, the game of golf, and his company. It's evident that he really, truly wants to make clubs that will help golfers simply perform better. I told him that I've been having fantastic success with the Heavy Driver so far and then he proceeded to amaze me with his knowledge. Like Snap Hook's conversation, he also used the analogy of an ice skater spinning in place to explain the counter weighting and higher balance point. It made sense when Snap Hook posted it and it certainly made sense coming from him. And, as with his conversation with Snap Hook, he was sure to note that Nicklaus and others have been counter weighting for years.

From a marketing standpoint, he was very happy to tell me about a chain of Canadian golf stores called Golf Town that are essentially blitzing Boston. They have opened five superstores in the city of Boston and are planning on opening a sixth - they will be selling a full line of Boccieri products. He said they aren't just selling a putter or a driver here and there but instead truly featuring Boccieri. He also mentioned that he expects Golf Town to actually acquire one of the big name golf store chains and further expand their market in the United States, something that would obviously benefit Boccieri greatly. He also was not hesitant at all to share his honest opinion about the quality (or complete lack of) of certain golf stores in the United States. Mr. Boccieri was very candid in saying that he expects the big time companies to really start using the counter weighting system in the near future - he just hopes he can expand Boccieri enough before the TaylorMade's, Ping's, Callaway's, etc. use the idea on their own (and, of course, mentioned that companies like Ping already have). He fully recognizes that he cannot beat any of the big boys but is extremely hopeful to carve his own niche in the golf market before the idea becomes fully mainstream.

We became sidetracked discussing my work for a bit - I work at Nemacolin Woodlands Golf Resort here in Western Pennsylvania. I shared with him that I caddied for two 'celebrities' on Wednesday and Thursday as part of the Mario Lemieux Charity Golf Tournament and how fed up they were with their drivers. I caddied for Mark Rypien on Wednesday, a 1 handicapper, and he was using a Callaway Razr Hawk. He could absolutely mash the golf ball but he was sailing almost everything out to the right. I caddied for hockey hall of famer Clark Gillies, a 2 handicapper, on Thursday and he was using an R11. I told him the Clark turned to me halfway through the round and said, 'Do you want to buy this piece of crap R11? I'll give it to you for half price.' Needless to say, he was doing the exact same thing as Rypien. I told him how much I wished I could see these powerful athletes swing the Heavy Driver and how much I think it would've helped them. So, this led to us discussing me potentially even working for Boccieri down the road as a Pittsburgh rep (haha, how cool would that be?) after I told him that I've already been promoting the brand to some customers and friends. Of course, I already believe in the capabilities of this club so I think it'd be a blast. He even said he'd pay me commission. Much of this portion of the conversation was playful by nature but I could tell that he would actually consider such a scenario. This also led to him talking about some of these lighter, longer drivers that companies have been creating. He did not hesitate to say that anyone making a 46 or 47 inch driver should be thrown in jail.

As with others, we also discussed his desire to host a group of us in Scottsdale, Arizona and go through the ringer with testing at Desert Mountain. He also tossed around the idea of using us as testers in the future and just loved getting feedback from real, honest people (he was so interested to hear about differences I've noticed in my ball flight, shot shape, etc.). I could see a lot of cool things happening with Boccieri in the future.

We discussed golf and golf vacations for a bit - he is a bit remorseful to say that he simply cannot play golf as much as he used to (and hardly plays at all anymore) but feels so satisfied manufacturing golf clubs. We discussed my own golf game for a little - this led to us discussing my troubles with the putter and how much I liked the Heavy Putter when I tried it out before. So, of course, he tells me to find a Dick's or somewhere that carries the Heavy Putter and test out the mid-weight and heavy-weight line of putters to see which I preferred - he really thinks I'd be perfect for the heavy-weight putter (although he said that the mid-weight line is by far the most popular). I told him I'd definitely do that and let him know how they felt and told him I'm definitely planning to purchase a Heavy Putter in the near future. He didn't want to hear any of that - he said to just directly contact him and he'll get me a putter. How awesome is that? I loved hearing him talk about his own experiences with the creation of the Heavy Putter. He told me how poorly he putted for years and noticed improvement when he would put lead tape on his old flatstick. Well, he kept adding more weight, more weight, and more weight. He told me that eventually he added so much weight that it became a piece of junk. However, after more tinkering and 'bada-binging' (as he put it) he finally put out a product that just absolutely works. Oh, but that's not all!

In our discussion I mentioned that the irons I play are new and how well I've been playing. He asked about the grips on my irons and I told him I haven't put anything new on yet (although planned to do so in the near future). So, of course, he tells me that he has been working on this new line of grips that he absolutely loves so far. He said that he has different lines of irons and clubs all throughout his factory - TM's with stock grips, Callaway's with stock grips, etc. - and every time he has someone test those irons with stock grips and his new grips they always choose his new grips. Should I even be surprised at this point with what he proposes next? He tells me that he's going to send me 12 grips next Tuesday so that they'll be here when I return from my vacation (leaving Sunday, getting back Friday). All he wants me to do is cut the grip off of my 7 iron and put his grip on (they slide on). He told me to take my 6, 7, and 8 irons to the range - use the stock grips for the 6 and 8 and his grip on the 7. He said to tell him which iron I was hitting the best. If I like his grip better, keep them and put them on all of my clubs. If I don't, let him know and he will put whatever grips I desire on all of my clubs. Incredible.

I'm just absolutely amazed by Mr. Boccieri - he's simply awesome. Plus, it's even more awesome that I'm really enjoying his product. I can't wait to see what the future holds for all of us.

So, of course, I simply had to squeeze in a quick nine after talking to Mr. Boccieri. I went to one of my favorite local courses and was able to get on the 'Blue Course' at Lindenwood Golf Club (they have three nine hole tracks - the Red, Blue, and Gold). It was after 7:00 when I tee'd off but it was still crowded so I decided I'd only use the Boccieri today. I ended up shooting a 40 despite it being an incredibly slow evening round (as my frustrated live update earlier expressed).

Hole #1: 400 yard par 4. It's not really a driver hole so I used my 5 wood off of the tee. I pulled it to the left but caught a break - it smacked a tree and ended up in the middle of the fairway, 150 yards from the green. I hit an 8 iron perfectly but I was just off and ended up in the greenside bunker to the right. I sailed my out from the bunker to the other side of the green with my third shot. Missed the putt, ended up with a bogey to start.

Hole #2: Another non-driver hole. Quite easy, really. It's only a 250 yard par 4 but it's a very fun hole. It's all uphill and just dares you to try and make it on in one. It's extremely difficult to do so - it's a VERY tight tee shot. So, I swing my 5 wood again and lace it right down the middle. I'm left with 30 yards in. Left me second shot a little long but two putter for a par.

Hole #3: 150 yard par 3 from an elevated tee box. It's an absolutely gorgeous hole - it's tucked into the woods entirely and the green is protected by a fantastic rock wall. I hit a flush 8 iron and leave it about 25 feet short of the pin. Two putt for another par.

Hole #4: I swing the Boccieri for the first time today. I hit it well but I end up catching a fairway bunker to the right. This is a 305 yard par 4, very much uphill, and it's a tough green to access. I'm left with 70 yards uphill, from a tough lie in a bunker, and put it up just short of the green. I hit a poor third shot and then two putt for a bogey. 0/1 fairways hit with the Boccieri.

Hole #5: 515 yard par 5. Another absolutely beautiful hole. It's a sharp dogleg to the right and you have a few options off of the tee - play it safe to the left of try and cut some yardage by sailing your tee shot over some large bunkers. I decide to try and sail the bunkers and do so successfully. I hit a 265 yard drive and ended up on the right edge of the fairway. 1/2 fairways hit. I hit an awful second shot when I try to go for it in two - it went really far but it also went in the water. I end up carding a bogey.

Hole #6: 280 yard par 4. It's a relatively easy hole after the tough par 5. I lace my drive right down the middle and I'm left with a 25 yard shot. I hit it well and leave it about 10 feet. I hit the perfect putt...and it lips out. I just can't buy a birdie. Par. 2/3 fairways hit.

Hole #7: So, the walking twosome in front of me is really bothering me at this point. They each seemed to be playing two balls and were playing from the tips despite, well, not being all that good. Plus, they were just slowly sauntering down the fairway while others behind them were clearly waiting. It's at this point that the sprinklers come on at #6. The twosome behind me asks if they can join up for the last few holes and I gladly agreed. #7 is a 310 yard par 4 with another green that's tough to access. I tee off first and lace my drive - easily me best of the day. 3/4 fairways hit. I was left with 30 yards to the stick but I went right underneath my second shot and flubbed it. Ugh. I hit a really nice third shot but missed my par putt. A bad bogey.

Hole #8: Alright, so I relax a bit for this downhill 150 yard par 3. It's another elevated tee box and it was actually playing more like 126 yards as the pin was all the way up (and it was actually a tough pin location). I hit a smooth pitching wedge and left it pin high, about 15 feet to the left. I hit an awful first putt but made my six footer for par.

Hole #9: Alright, it's a little after 9:00 at this point and getting really tough to see. The final hole is a 490 yard par 5. It's a really fun hole but quite difficult in the dark. I hit the Boccieri in the fairway. It traveled right around 260 yards. I hit my 5 wood into the dark and was left with a smooth wedge into the green. I stuck it in the dark - maybe I should always play when I can't see? Of course, I missed my birdie putt and ended up carding yet another par. 4/5 fairways hit with the Boccieri.

---

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

---

I'm continuing to play really solid golf and the Boccieri is still performing quite well for me. I'd be playing even better if I could PUTT. But, I'll get there (and hopefully with the assistance of a new Heavy Putter)! I'm planning on playing 18 holes tomorrow and then 36 holes on Tuesday (my birthday!). I'm leaving for DC on Sunday to see my brother. We're having a big cookout on Sunday and then we'll just enjoy the 4th on Monday. We've discussed maybe just playing 9 holes and getting some good range time in on the 4th. And, like I said, we're going to play 36 holes at Renditions Golf Course (which looks amazinggg) just outside of DC. They're doing this absolutely awesome all-inclusive package that just so happens to fall on my birthday - a round of golf, range time, a discount in the pro shop, a breakfast sandwich, a lunch buffet, and free replays for $59.00 a person (which isn't even near their usual rates for just a single round). So, that should be awesome and the Boccieri should get a lot of work. I'll have my computer with me so I'll keep everyone posted. I'm going to the beach for a few days after that and should get a few rounds in there as well. And, then, I should have some lovely Boccieri grips waiting for me when I arrive home next week.

Incredible SFCoach. After your personal experiences with him I bet it will be hard to hit anything else!

Nice recap of your round.. Looks like your hitting the heavy driver well

Tap tap taparoo

Yesterday was the first time I played a full 18 holes with nothing but the HD. This was the first time I left my ST at home (didnt even tempt myself by leaving it in the SUV), because I wanted to force myself to work with the HD. I have to say, the overall results were poor. If my tee game yesterday was in summer school, it would see a big fat C- on the report card.

Of the 12 drives I hit, 4 found the fairway (4 par 3's and I hit 4 wood on 2 other holes). Two of the four that found the fairway were low draws, barely clearing 200 yards. The other 2 drives were beautiful slight draws in the 265-270 range (a few yards longer than my avg ST drive). All my other misses were a variety of low hook or hard snap hook. I tried using a variety of setup positions, ball positions, tee height positions, etc, but couldnt get rid of the low hook. During the middle of the back 9, I think I found the issue. For me, the HD needs to have an exaggerated slow transition at the top. My 2 good drives were on 14 and 17 when I figured this out.

Luckily, the course was tree lined so I was able to punch out on most holes and the putter was really hot (rare), so it kept me from going insane. I was quite disappointed in my performance, as I was in quite the groove with the HD on the range. Unfortunately, the face doesnt leave many impact prints like I've seen on my ST, so I dont know exactly where each drive was on the face. In general, I would say today's bad misses were worse than the normal bad misses with my ST, but I did see 2 drives that were as long (if not longer) than I would see when I hit one equally well with my ST.

Yesterday's round was also the last round I will be using the stock headcover. The zipper on it (while appears to be a quality zipper) is annoying and drives me nuts.

Great stuff guys. Glad to hear all of you are still having great experiences. Youre all makin me jealous. I can't wait to get back out there!

Great recap of the conversation with Mr. Boccieri.

I just wanted to give a quick update on this driver. I went out yesterday to the local, par 31 muni course, and played about 22 holes. As I mentioned earlier, I have really modified my swing with driver and woods, and it has definitely increased the swing speed. How do I know that you may ask? Well, because when I pulled my 3 wood out for the first time with this new swing, the shaft cracked just below my hands during the transition to the down swing. It's a regular flex shaft, but I've never put that much pressure on it. Clearly I put too much. It's just so easy to swing fast with my body. So, now I'm short a 3 wood for the weekend, but that's ok. I'll get a better shaft put in it sometime this week.

As for the driver, well, I'm going to put it in percentage terms. When I first got it, I was probably able to get 25% of its overall 'capability.' Yesterday, I would say that I am able to get about 80-90% of it's capability. I only hit this driver, and most drives were either straight or draws, with the Draws being 10-20 yard draws. The bigger the draw, the more it started right off the club face, so I was able to find the center of the fairway most of the day. And how about that distance?!?! Just as a couple examples. 20 mph left to right wind, I hit the driver 270-275. Have I hit that far before, sure, but not this early in the year, and not without all the hardpan that usually forms in the fairways in august. How about another example. This one was a perfect draw, even landed in the spot I was aiming for. 255-260 yards, dead straight into the 20 mph wind. Yep, this driver is the driver I will be gaming. I have adjusted enough to play it exclusively for a bit.

Now I said I'm only getting 80-90% of its capability. There is still a hard slice about 1/10 hits. Also, I'm actually still launching the ball a little lower than I'd like. Those better drives noted above were maybe just a hair low, but pretty good I think. As the day went on, the ball was coming lower and lower off the face. Now, I can hit a ball straight, that never gets more than 10 feet off the ground, and get it to go 240-250 yards, because I did that yesterday. But I feel like if I get this trajectory consistent and worked out, I can crank drives 280-285 yards down the fairway, straight, everytime. This driver is about consistency and although it took me awhile to get there, I am there.

My 4th of July will be pretty much all golf. Yesterday, I played around a lot with ball position, grip and stance with this driver, trying to figure out the right combination for launch angle and direction. Of course I'm going to continue working on that all weekend until I find the right combination. I'm almost there, and I love this driver.

~Rock

Today I played a solid round just couldn't get the putts to fall. They were only missing by a fraction though and shot an 84. I only missed one fairway and it was the last one! I was telling my uncle on the last tee that I couldn't believe it was gonna be another round of all fairways hit and sure enough I let go right about 5 yards off.

Its crazy how well I am hitting the heavy driver. Its just automatic off the tee for me. I can't wait to see how the other shaft plays, hope it gets rid of the little ballooning I'm having right at the end.

My old driver is completely out of the bag and couldn't be happier. I'm very curious about the hybrid now since I hit the irons and driver so well.

I play again tomorrow, hopefully I get my computer fixed so I can post pics tomorrow.

I wanted to post a few notes from my conversation with Mr Boccieri. First off he was incredible to talk to, he just has so much knowledge and you can tell that his mind just doesn't ever stop thinking about how to make golfer better. We talked extensively about back weighting and he was interested to hear that I had already back weighted my R11. I also told him that I had cut it to 45" and he agreed that was a really good idea. Next we talked about the fad of lighter is longer and how a lot of the science doesn't add up. A lot of his opinions on this matter have been posted but I will summarize his thoughts by quoting him. "S#!% changes! People selling 46.5" shafts should be imprisoned and lighter is really only going to help the handsy swinger". We talked about some of his ideas for the future and some products he is working on. He also mention the possibility of getting the testers together in Scottsdale to do more extensive testing. I brought up some of my concerns about the aesthetics of the club as well as the iron line up. He was appreciate of my honest feedback and said that they would consider making changes in the future products. It was just a gat conversation and I loved talking to him. I appreciate the time and energy he spent with each one of the testers.

So I was able to play 27 holes today and I wanted to update about my results. I started off warming up at the driving range and everything was going perfect. I was hitting both drivers long and straight. Then I go on the course and the wheels fell off. The courses I was playing are difficult and they have very tight fairways with small landing areas and I froze. I could feel it in my swing nothing felt normal and my driving results showed it. I exclusively used the Heavy Driver for the first nine holes and I was not swinging it well. I only hit 1 FIR and most of my misses were pretty bad, except one which was just off the fairway. I switched to the R11 for the back and I hit 3 FIR with one more that was off by not much. It was not a good day for my driver. I think my big problem was I was syking myself out with the narrow fairways and I was trying to place the ball, which just doesn't work. When I would just hit the ball full on, the ball would fly like it is supposed to. The following nine followed the same pattern as the previous ones. I had a very manic round and was exhausted with all of the crazy shots I was having to hit to recover from my errant tee shots. I will get out to the driving range on monday and hopefully get to playas well and hopefully I can figure something out before then.

I played 27 holes yesterday, and it was a solid day with the driver, or at least it was until about hole 20. At that point, my whole game fell apart due to fatigue. But that's ok, fatigue happens.

As for when I had the energy to swing a golf club. My strategy today was to just step up to the ball and swing as soon as I was comfortable, and for the most part, I had solid results. Anywhere from 250-280 yards. It was going longer earlier on in the round, and my trajectory was going higher as well. As the round went on, the trajectory got lower, and then eventually was replaced by a fade.

I'm still thrilled with this driver. It's giving me some great distance and great consistency in finding fairways. One thing I did notice yesterday was that it is harder to swing this driver when you are tired. Every club in my bag is harder to swing when I'm tired, but the heavy driver seemed to exaggerate my tired swing.

I am going to the range today. I'll post my results then.

Do you prefer one head shape over the other, HG? How do you feel about the coloring/design of the Boccieri?

I like the simple design of the Heavy Driver. The colors work great I think. I like a dark crown and the black with a black shaft works for me. I said earlier, I would like to see the shaft graphics on the bottom, not on top at address. I'm also not a fan of the zipper headcover. It seems they will fail over time. I hope this one is different, but I have my doubts. I'm use to the larger footprint of the K15, but the Heavy is fine with its deeper face and more compact style.

I'm planning some more side by side testing at the range. Just waiting on my helper brother in law to return later this week from vacation.

Thanks, HG. I am not a fan of the Boccieri headcovers at all. These clubs are too good to have a headcover like this, imo.

Loving this thread. This is a really special round of testing, working so closely with the manufacturer is just amazing. Sounds like Mr Boccieri is a really cool guy, and he's definitely going the extra mile to help you guys out and really learn about his product. It really is great to hear of a manufacturer putting so much stock in testing by regular golfers. You guys are very lucky indeed!

had the driver out at the range yesterday. I still have not really found that perfect consistency, but it is consistently close to being fantastic. There have been a few revelations over the past week or so. first, it is much better to swing the heavy driver with your body, not your arms. Yesterday, I had a second revelation. When I swing easier, I get higher, and more standard, trajectory. The only thing left to figure out with this driver is how to hit a draw with the same average trajectory, or in the alternative, not hit massive slices. As I said before, the big slice is about a 1/10 shot occurrence, the rest of the shots are more than playable and typically in the fairway. But still, it'd be nice to just avoid that big slice.

The consistency of this driver has made it a very easy decision for me to replace my burner draw with the heavy driver. More consistency, I can actually aim off the tee and have a general understanding of where it will go, similar carry, and a lot more roll. Heavy driver wins.

Back