Boccieri Heavy Driver - Forum Testing Review

has anyone found they need to swing a bit easier to get best results from this driver?

I used the HD yesterday morning in my normal Saturday skins game. This week we had 32 players, so there were several guys that gave the driver the once over. Everyone liked the looks and the feel of the driver. Most thought the name was a little strange after swinging the club, while commenting that it did not feel heavy. I gave them the story about the Heavy putter line hence the driver name.

I applied the swing theory of tee it low, swing easy with a strong grip and slightly closed stance. For me, it seems that this is the way to success. I hit the first three fairways where I used driver before I came hard over the top on one and hit a big slice. All in all, it was a good outing for me and the driver as I ended up hitting 8 of 14 fairways. Even though we had rain four days last week, the course took the water well and it was a little softer than normal, but I still got some roll on a few drives.

Because we were playing skins and some $$$ was on the line, I did not take the time to GPS my drives and log them in my note book. I shot 80 which I think is my best score with the HD in the bag. This round also did a lot for me in the confidence department. Consistency with any driver is key for me to have a good round. It sets the tone for me it seems. My K15 is just easy enough to hit that I never give a thought to trouble or OB with it in the bag, and up until this round, I could never help myself of having thoughts of bad shots or trouble given my lack of consistency and confidence when gaming the HD. This round changed that. I'm hoping this puts me to where I can game this driver without fear.

Looks like Hoosier has, and since he is talking about it I will say others probably have. I haven't read this thread in a while, so I'm not up to date on anything but the last few days' posts.

has anyone found they need to swing a bit easier to get best results from this driver?

Yes, this has been my #1 theme of about every review I've written so far. Only way for me to consistently keep it in play is to swing easy and slow down.

I've always hit most all of my clubs at about 90%. This leaves me a little bit in reserve if I have a must carry. With driver, I try to just stay at 90%. Never really out of my shoes type of swing. With my K15 I can go at it full bore and not get in much trouble, but I found out quickly that I can't do that with the HD. I think for me it just takes a easy balanced swing to get good results. I'm after accuracy over distance. I'm happy with 240/250 yards and in the fairway.

I think it comes down to the driver setup and forgiveness. My K15 has a lot of forgiveness built in where the HD not so much. It just takes a good swing everytime where the K15 can be mishit a little and still be pretty good.

I just got off the phone with Steve and I have an order in on a driver. We decided to start with a driver and make sure the specs match up with my swing and then potentially expand to a 3 wood and hybrid. Thanks to all the testers for all the great feedback!

I just got off the phone with Steve and I have an order in on a driver. We decided to start with a driver and make sure the specs match up with my swing and then potentially expand to a 3 wood and hybrid. Thanks to all the testers for all the great feedback!

Great to hear. So, what exactly were the specs you ordered?

9* WHITE head w/ X-Flex Aldila NV shaft. I also get an extra wrap under the grip with another additional wrap under the right hand.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the white head and the green shaft... it should look pretty sweet.

9* WHITE head w/ X-Flex Aldila NV shaft. I also get an extra wrap under the grip with another additional wrap under the right hand.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the white head and the green shaft... it should look pretty sweet.

That is going to be a SICK combo! I am so glad that you are pulling the trigger on this. I think you are going to be so happy with this driver!

That is going to be a SICK combo! I am so glad that you are pulling the trigger on this. I think you are going to be so happy with this driver!

Yeah I'm excited... Steve was fun to talk to... we kept on getting off topic. I felt bad because I know he has a lot on his plate right now and I was taking up his time.

Good news is he said he had a few other things to build and he has all my pieces in stock, so he should be able to get it out over the next few days. I should have it by next weekend...

Yes, I definitely have to swing easier. Swinging hard takes the thing clear off plane for me. Since the driver is weighted to promote swinging on plane, it makes sense to 'let the driver do the swinging for you.'

I had an interesting thought today. I've worked with this driver with strong grip and all that to take the huge slices out, but the trade off is a ball flight 15 feet off the ground. My golf instructor always said that it looks like I'm working too hard to swing the driver. I suspect I'm not swinging 'up' at the ball, meaning the driver is not swinging up at contact. I have some drills I know about to promote swinging 'up' at the ball with the driver. Next time out, I intend to try it.

~Rock

Yeah I'm excited... Steve was fun to talk to... we kept on getting off topic. I felt bad because I know he has a lot on his plate right now and I was taking up his time.

Good news is he said he had a few other things to build and he has all my pieces in stock, so he should be able to get it out over the next few days. I should have it by next weekend...

He really is so fun to talk to! He is so excited about his product and is so genuine and wants to make sure he builds you the best product possible.

That's cool you ordered the white head. What was the parameter that fit you into the X-flex shaft?

Very cool to hear you grabbed on of these, cb.

Being a huge fan of my white driver, I am curious about the white version of the Boccieri.
Their website calls it a glossy white finish. Is it too glossy? Too much glare?

Yes, very cool on the White. We will need pics and vids when you get it. I wonder if Mr B will turn the shaft graphics down if he is building yours himself?

Are you sure that you are receiving a green shaft? Every tester that ordered an X-Flex shaft received an orange one.

Are you sure that you are receiving a green shaft? Every tester that ordered an X-Flex shaft received an orange one.

He ordered the NV shaft which is green, ours is the softer tipped NVS which is Orange.

That's cool you ordered the white head. What was the parameter that fit you into the X-flex shaft?

A lot of it was based off the shaft I was playing now. Miyazaki Kusala Black 73g X-Flex.
But we also talked about swing speed, ball flight etc.

He ordered the NV shaft which is green, ours is the softer tipped NVS which is Orange.

Yep... And Steve specifically commented how nice the green/white combo was...

And I just got off the phone with him... he was able to build it yesterday! He wanted to confirm how I wanted my grip set up. It might be in the mail later today...!

Yes, I definitely have to swing easier. Swinging hard takes the thing clear off plane for me. Since the driver is weighted to promote swinging on plane, it makes sense to 'let the driver do the swinging for you.'

I had an interesting thought today. I've worked with this driver with strong grip and all that to take the huge slices out, but the trade off is a ball flight 15 feet off the ground. My golf instructor always said that it looks like I'm working too hard to swing the driver. I suspect I'm not swinging 'up' at the ball, meaning the driver is not swinging up at contact. I have some drills I know about to promote swinging 'up' at the ball with the driver. Next time out, I intend to try it.

~Rock

The driver is no doubt intended to be hit on the upswing. One thing I do is to really be sure at address that I'm behind the ball and I tilt pretty good to the right to have the correct spine angle to catch the ball on the upswing.

I played this afternoon at our local nine hole course with the HD. It was a bit windy but I had another solid day with the driver. I'm finally getting to the point now where I really don't have to think about the different swing I need with the driver. I hit five of six fairways when using driver. We are back to firm and fast conditions, so I was getting some really good rollout today. I seem to have a carry distance of around 225 with the driver and was getting a good 30 to 40 yards of roll today. My one miss, was once again a little slice that killed distance. When the swing is correct, the results are always good. I'm now pretty comfortable with the driver and I plan to pretty much play out the year with it now.

I am getting done slightly early today, so I am going to head to the range and post later on my session. I get a lot of roll out of this driver. I have a lower launch angle with the Heavy Driver, but what it lacks in carry it makes up in roll.

I certainly agree there is more roll in the HD than any other driver I've ever hit. But without the appropriate launch angle, soggy conditions will lead to much shorter drives (because of less roll).

I was able to sneak out for a quick round yesterday morning with some buddies. It was a blustery 55* when we teed off but the fairways were firm. I was excited to see how my changes I made on the range to hit the Heavy Driver well would translate during a "competitive" round on the course. Well, I hit 3/7 fairways on the front 9. I just couldnt get myself to consistantly slow down and make a slower controlled swing under pressure. I liken it to a swing change. You know what you need to do, but its hard to do consistently under pressure.
Again, my miss was a quick low hook. The well struck shots did roll out very well, keeping me optimistic. The biggest thing I learned was how poorly struck shots felt in my hands on a cold morning. The poorly struck shots really jolted my cold hands, but the well struck shots were as smooth as ever. The poor shots were a bit more harsh than those hit with my SuperTri.

I got out yesterday evening with my brother and brother in law. I had a poor day hitting fairways. Not really bad shots, everything just tended to go a little right as a bit of a baby fade. I only hit four fairways the whole round but was never in any real trouble, with most drives ending up just off the fairway in the first cut. Got caught in the deep rough a time or to, but I was always able to get back in play. Distance was very good with our current fast and firm conditions. I had three drives in the 260/270 range with the rollout. I used a yellow Srixon Z-Star Tour for the first time and hit some great shots with this ball. It came off the driver very well. Ended up shooting 81. At least the driver is finally becoming much more predictable for me now. This leads to more confidence for me.

I actually got the my Heavy Driver in on Thursday after talking to Steve on Tuesday... ridiculous!
It looks amazing! Here's some pics... drool away...

IMG00204-20110916-0934.jpg

At Address:
Spoiler

IMG00203-20110916-0934.jpg

Face:
Spoiler

IMG00205-20110916-0935.jpg

Bottom:
Spoiler

IMG00206-20110916-0935.jpg

Shaft:
Spoiler